PDA

View Full Version : 99 accord dash problems

mustangcwm
08-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi my girlfriends brother has a 1999 honda accord. About a year ago he installed a new head unit himself and wired it himself using the diagram that crutchfield sent him. During this he said he blew the fuse for the brake lights, but they were fine after he replaced fuse. He recently asked me to take a look because i'm an electrician becuase he said ever since then his dash has a light by the odometer and and a small square that lights up to show what gear your in, and they work as long as the headlights and running lights are off. But when you turn the running lights or head lights on those lights go off and no dash lights are on at all, but other than that there are no other problems.

So far I checked all the fuses and rewired the stereo myself to make sure everything was ok. The only problem I noticed was that the dimmer t wire and illumination wire that used to go to the factory stereo are no longer used, so I called crutchfield to verify and they said those wires aren't used to tape them off individually.

Does anyone have any ideas what to check or do?

smoker
08-20-2008, 03:00 PM
i own a stereo shop and a shop i used to work for one of the other guys put in a head unit in a honda and didnt tape up the dimmer and ill wires that are not used in most aftermarket head units and we wound up having to get the guy a new guage cluster. the wires either touched each other or some metal back there and screwed things up.

mustangcwm
08-20-2008, 04:12 PM
that might be what happened, he had the dimmer and illumination wire nutted together

smoker
08-20-2008, 05:21 PM
thats fo sho what happened then

mustangcwm
08-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Hey smoker, PM sent. Thanks for the reply