PDA

View Full Version : 2.3t swap, weird ignition problem i think.

2l8iwn
08-20-2008, 03:45 PM
did a 2.3t swap into a 93 fox. All was well for about 3 months and now when you start the car the tachs bounce up and down like its getting a bad signal. Both the stock tach and the aftermarket seem to be jumping all over when you first start the car. Then after it idles down they seem to settle as well. After driving the car for roughly 20-30 minutes the car will just die. When you try to refire the engine it will start rev high that die with a loud backfire. It did this around the corner from the house. We got the car to start and basically floored it just to get the car to creep home. When we got it into the driveway it stalled again with big backfire. Popped the hood and the header was GLOWING RED!!! I am at a loss for words. Any help would be appreciated.

kwik- lx
08-20-2008, 09:09 PM
go over to turboford.net they can help you out

dedpedal
08-24-2008, 10:45 AM
sounds like either timing or fuel. Double check both. The vam door may be broke too if you did swap to that.

2l8iwn
08-24-2008, 10:22 PM
seems like it could be ignition related seeing as the tachs are bouncing around. I think the culprit might be the tfi module. But it is still in the air for now. I checked the VAM and it checks out. The VAM door is operating normally and the voltages with the door open and closed are within specs to fords manual.

supercab78
08-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Is the engine rpm staying steady as the tach is jumpimg around? In order to uliminate a defectiive tach have you tried running it with the stock tach disconnected?

NXcoupe
09-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Could be the pick up coil behind the balancer. I had a similar issue once.