PDA

View Full Version : Who went to Edgewater last night?

94tchikinv8
08-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Did you see the idiot in the Tbird that had his hood fly up? Yeah, that was me.:rolleyes:

I had my car in the staging lanes with the hood up cooling off. I ran over to the concession stand real quick to grab a bottled water and a pretzel. The started moving the cars up when I was on my way back, and my little brother hopped in my car to move it up. I ASSumed he had closed the hood all the way when he put it down. None the wiser (I didn't walk around the front of the car), I made my way to the staging beams. I was lined up against a fox 5.0, and we took off. I think I got the holeshot and was starting to gain a tiny lead when we got just passed the 330" mark and I see the hood just flutter a bit and in the next instant WHAM!! the hood caves in the windshield.

Hindsight being 20/20, I know I should have double checked before the run, but you live and learn. I didn't notice that it was still partially up before the run. I estimate my speed at about 55-60, because it usually runs highs 70s in the eighth and I still trapped 32mph in the eighth on the brakes. I'm glad it didn't happen at the big end when I was doing 97-98mph.

Time for a new windshield and hood; although luckily it didn't hurt the top of the car at all.

-Rob

Dirtyd0g
08-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Your hood came up? When did that happen?
Alan

94tchikinv8
08-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Your hood came up? When did that happen?
Alan

Yeah, after you guys ran, you pulled off, and I went back for another run. It seems it's always when you go "just one more" that it bites you in the ass.

-Rob

PHAT69AMX
08-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Bummer dude. :(
As if the heat and humidity weren't enough and then have that happen.

Anyone know if it was 90 degrees and 90% humidity before it got dark ?
Was not the best air, but ran for the first time with a new engine put in last year.
Ran "ok" times, but consistant and trouble free, (2) 13.0's & (2) 12.9's all at ~105 mph.
With better air and more tuning should be capable of mid 12's again hopefully.
Had almost forgotten how much of an endorfin buzz it was. :D

http://home.fuse.net/ckthomas/AMX-69-255-60-15-W-5half-BS-D.jpg