PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger? I need expertise and opinions!

98stangv6
08-27-2008, 09:42 PM
So I own a 98 single-port v6 and have since I was 17. Basically any old lady in a hover-round could outrun my car. Lately I have been looking at newer GTs but still being in college I just don't think I can afford a car payment and I am still pretty partial to my car and it's still in pretty good shape. Well I ran across this procharger, I know the car would still be pretty slow, but a lot more fun to drive, and I need some opinions. The car is basically stock and has 80k miles but has never had any major problems and has been taken care of very well. Being my daily driver and having 80k miles do you think it would just be a ticking time bomb? Also if I got a different pulley and only ran 7psi would that help?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ProCharger-Supercharger-94-98-Ford-Mustang-3-8L-V6_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33741QQihZ009QQitemZ 190246172045QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosti ng

Da Natti
08-27-2008, 11:15 PM
i would buy a procharger i got almost 100000 miles on my v6 with a homemade turbo kit and beat the shit out of it everyday on 11 psi of boost! it still goes! buy the kit you will be happy! i don't see injector's and fuel pump in the pic also a fmu aint worth a shit you are better off with a fuel pressure regulator! have ken tune at MD and he will get it running right!

98stangv6
08-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks, are you the guy that lives right down the street from me?

Da Natti
08-27-2008, 11:41 PM
yes, the v6 engines a pretty stout motor from the factory! tony or http://www.stang38l.com/Mustang/Procharger/index.htm

BIGHONKEY
08-28-2008, 04:22 PM
His car is still a turd. Do a V8 swap and save lots of money and be faster.

NXcoupe
08-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Can't go wrong with a Procharger. They work well and I drive one as often as the weather will let me with no problems in over a year. Make sure you change the oil in it frequently if it is a self contained unit. Yes, lowering the boost is a good idea for longevity, but not really necessary if it is an intercooled kit and you get a safe tune on it. I run 13 lbs of boost on my V8, with a stock block and so far it's taking it like a trooper. Good luck whatever you decide.

Da Natti
08-28-2008, 10:53 PM
BIGHONKEY His car is still a turd. Do a V8 swap and save lots of money and be faster
yep mine is a 12 second turd ! but that is my daily driver the beast is coming!:D

BIGHONKEY
08-28-2008, 11:22 PM
I never said yours was a turd. 12 seconds is nothing to write home about either. spending all that $ on performance then not getting great results seems liek a waste to me. Hell I had 8-10 grand in a 92 civic and ran 11 flat, and it felt like a big waste to me.

To each his own. If I had a V6 stang I'd swap a carbed 351 in it or trade it in on a V8 car.

98stangv6
08-28-2008, 11:36 PM
I had a 302 sitting around and looked into doing that but I don't have much working space and being a 98 it's not nearly as easy as the 94-95 that you can throw some 5.0 motor mounts in, keep the same k-member etc. I would not get anything for the car if I went to trade it in, and being my first car, part of me wants to keep it, be that guy that 30 years down the road that says yeah, I bought it when I was 17 when I was getting paid $6.25 an hour. I know what you're saying though, even supercharged I would be lucky to break into the 13s, but I am not looking to go out and be "Johnny badass" that runs the streets, just a little more fun to drive.

BIGHONKEY
08-28-2008, 11:49 PM
I had a 302 sitting around and looked into doing that but I don't have much working space and being a 98 it's not nearly as easy as the 94-95 that you can throw some 5.0 motor mounts in, keep the same k-member etc. I would not get anything for the car if I went to trade it in, and being my first car, part of me wants to keep it, be that guy that 30 years down the road that says yeah, I bought it when I was 17 when I was getting paid $6.25 an hour. I know what you're saying though, even supercharged I would be lucky to break into the 13s, but I am not looking to go out and be "Johnny badass" that runs the streets, just a little more fun to drive.

Do you realize what a supercharger costs for that V6? To me it's way overpriced. Probably because they make/sell way more V8 kits.

Da Natti
08-28-2008, 11:59 PM
BIGHONKEY I never said yours was a turd. 12 seconds is nothing to write home about either. spending all that $ on performance then not getting great results seems liek a waste to me. Hell I had 8-10 grand in a 92 civic and ran 11 flat, and it felt like a big waste to me.

To each his own. If I had a V6 stang I'd swap a carbed 351 in it or trade it in on a V8

i agree 12 aint all that but sense i drive 2 and from work everyday! i have less than 2k in my kit! made 300hp and 331 on torque to the wheels! get pretty good MPG and insurance is cheaper and i own the car in full! i know guy's that have dumped 6-7k in there 4.6l and just make what i have in a sn95 body is harder to get in the 12's it's really easy to get a fox body to run 12's just a 5liter and bolt on's!

Stang 38L
10-21-2008, 01:30 PM
His car is still a turd. Do a V8 swap and save lots of money and be faster.

You fat fuck, atleast link me when you are going to bash it!! :)

Dirtyd0g
10-21-2008, 01:32 PM
To each his own. If I had a V6 stang I'd swap a carbed 351 in it or trade it in on a V8

You do have a v6 turd..I mean stang :)