PDA

View Full Version : Not exactly hangout but i'll supply beer 9/20

mustangjon
09-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Going to post this up early and repost as it gets closer, since most ya know the mark is my daily driver i have to do this total teardown, rebuild in a weekend, plan is to be kid free for weekend. Plan is to start early in morning sat 9/20 hopefully be able to get it tore down and mostly put back together that sat, Do the finishing work on sunday if need be, then do any tweaking tuning durning my vacation the following week. Will need all the hands i can get, so i can have her ready for the fall meet.

Doing head swap, headers, o/r h pipe, intake swap, degree'ing/advancing the cam with timing set swap, fuel pump, fpr, removing entire smog system, you get the idea lol.

Any help i can get will be much appreciated, this is my first time crunch teardown lol.

:rockon:

Thanks in advance to any volunteers

DeckerEnt
09-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Before that Saturday, I will stop by with my work truck and pressure wash the engine bay. Getting as much grease,oil,and grime out of there will make it so much easier. Or you could stop by the shop some day after work.
Keith

mustangjon
09-03-2008, 08:42 PM
i'll just run by your shop or something some evening the week before, thanks for that, never thought about that... i have cleaned piss out of the top end, but never pressure washed it yet. the last week every bolt in that engine bay will be getting soaked with pb blast also, so maybe stop by before i start that. Nothing has really been off that motor in 20 years and 135k other than the accessories and tuneup stuff. :eek:

mustangjon
09-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the steam cleanin keith! looks like you have another use other than cleaning some carpet hah. :bigthumb

DeckerEnt
09-04-2008, 11:15 PM
No problem Jon. Happy to hear you know the electrical gremlin. Easy fix I am sure.
Keith

mustangjon
09-08-2008, 08:30 PM
its a new week, bumpity for any help i can get lol.

facemelter71
09-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Sounds like me rebuilding my truck engine in two weeks.Doesnt sound to bad,two weeks.But i had to pull the motor out in the grass of the front yard! And rebuild the motor on my front porch! If you were a little closer i would be more than happy to help.Do you have an air compressor?

mustangjon
09-09-2008, 07:58 PM
yup i have compressor, all the tools i should need, only thing im lacking at this point is cam degree wheel/knowledge in that dept is slim anyhow. Torque wrench but i can borrow that from old man. Hopefully weather is nice and im going to pull the 71 outside and park it so i can fit car in garage and work past dark if need be :coo1:

facemelter71
09-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Its always nice to degree a cam.Is it a custom grind or special cam? And what type or rebuild are you doing? High performance strip only,or street strip performance?

mustangjon
09-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Its always nice to degree a cam.Is it a custom grind or special cam? And what type or rebuild are you doing? High performance strip only,or street strip performance?

Its my DD, will be street, with a few runs here and there on it. Its just stock cam. Im staying with speed density, just putting adjustable timing set and 1.7 RR's on it. A custom SD friendly cam might be in my future, just gonna see what i can crank out with this setup. If it gets me to my 300hp goal, then till it see's forced induction it'll prolly stay alone.

facemelter71
09-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Might want to make a post in the tech forums because im not sure.I have heard that you can run an E-cam in speed density cars.

mustangjon
09-11-2008, 05:02 PM
there are 6 total speed density cams on market ofs, but best increase is only 10hp so really not worth it, hence will do custom if anything. Any the letter cams wont work with SD, well you can make anything work, but driveability is a different story:lol:

facemelter71
09-12-2008, 09:56 AM
I thought it was anything with split duration?...Swap it to Mass air.Its pretty easy,and you can get refurbed ECM's from AZ with warranty.

Stangman
09-12-2008, 09:58 AM
you can get refurbed ECM's from AZ with warranty.

GARBAGE!!!!

Been there and done that.:mad:

facemelter71
09-12-2008, 11:33 AM
GARBAGE!!!!

Been there and done that.:mad:

Ok AZ ECM's are bad idea. Tell me how you really feel Stangman.LOL

Stangman
09-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Lol, yeahhh... I saw that and couldnt contain myself... I've put 3 ECM's in my car, the first one was an autozone Reman... and it was bad the minute I put it in, and the bastids wouldn't give me my core back :mad:

Then I put a Ford unit in it, lasted a year and took a dive

Luckily it was just barely under warranty and I got a good one now and my car is happy (thank goodness) Ya gotta love a picky SN-95

mustangjon
09-12-2008, 08:19 PM
I thought it was anything with split duration?...Swap it to Mass air.Its pretty easy,and you can get refurbed ECM's from AZ with warranty.

its basically based around centerline, in otherwords has to have a consistent vacuum, should be 114 center line, a few either way will work. And yes swapping isnt that expensive in retrospec, but i like to be different and to do things the hard way lol. Besides everytime i hear someone say this wont work or that wont work.. makes me want to disprove them even more then i can say :flipoff: rofl

mustangjon
09-16-2008, 08:03 PM
well bumping again since sat is coming soon and now i have 3 less days to prepare thanks to no power, just came back up today while i was at work yay me! Thanks again if anyone can help

mustangjon
09-20-2008, 11:16 PM
got alot done, now just have to reroute some wiring, bolt accessories on ect, still could use a hand tomm (sunday):bigthumb

smoker
09-21-2008, 12:43 PM
anyone come out? if i wastn working 7 days this week we could have done it at the shop.

DeckerEnt
09-21-2008, 09:20 PM
I showed up Saturday and helped out a little, then stopped by today and helped a little. Wish I could have stayed a little longer and finished it.
Keith

mustangjon
09-22-2008, 01:10 PM
yes many thanks again keith! you rock. Did get car running but dealing with idle issues ect atm, thinking possible vacuum leak, or need to reroute since i did the change over to explorer intake.