PDA

View Full Version : Drilled, Slotted... or both?

Stangman
09-16-2008, 11:05 AM
I am thinking towards my caliper swap in the future and wondering what the best rotor for the money is...

I currently have Raybestos Brutestop rotors (which are drilled and slotted)

I noticed that there are cracks around the holes, which I heard is common, but is it common on just the drilled/slotted combo rotors or all drilled rotors?

When I do my PBR swap, I was going to buy the HAWK pads and get some new rotors... but what type should I get?

Anyone had any experiences with both of these types of rotors?

Thanks!

cstreu1026
09-16-2008, 11:17 AM
The cracks are common with the cross drilled rotors. I am not aware of cracks being a problem with slotted rotors.

99Slobra
09-16-2008, 11:26 AM
I've run Powerslots on a few cars with no issues. No cracks or anything.

Stangman
09-16-2008, 11:38 AM
I was looking at the Powerslots on Summit's website, and for the cost, they look to be the most effective...

I've heard that running a drilled/slotted combo was always asking for cracks around the drilled holes... but if you ran drilled alone, they would be fine... :confused:

I might just go with the slotted powerslots when the time comes. I like the fact that they are coated and wont look like absolute shit the first time it rains unlike the raybestos :mad:

04 Venom
09-16-2008, 12:37 PM
FWIW, the hardcore racers do not use cross-drilled rotors because of the cracking problem.

Stangman
09-16-2008, 01:15 PM
That would steer me away right now. I want something that will last without any issues. I know that padwear is increased when using any rotor with a slotted-scraper surface, but I like to be able to stop and stop now. I guess it's slotted FTW!

5.0calypso93lx
09-16-2008, 03:00 PM
I run slotted only Brembo rotors at all four corners and have not had any issues. I chose slotted only just because of all the cracking issues with drilled rotors.

I thought that some C6's came with factory drilled rotors though so that makes me wonder if they're really that bad.

Bluecrew07
09-16-2008, 04:32 PM
I had drilled and slotted on mine they lasted a few years but they worped pretty bad. i have power slot rotors now and they really stop ya

85_SS_302_Coupe
09-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Supposedly the hot setup now is slotted and dimpled, as opposed to drilled. The drilled ones are notorious for cracking.

zmcnutt
09-16-2008, 07:55 PM
i just had the same problem i replaced my drilled & slotted rear rotors with powerslots pretty good so far

Mista Bone
09-16-2008, 09:17 PM
anything drilled is bad, m'kay.

Now if the holes are CAST like Porsche does, they won't crack.

Also, since the new pad materials don't off gas nowhere near as much, fullface rotors are just fine. It's just an astetic (for looks) upgrade. If your worried about cooking the brakes, add some ducting, but MAYBE .5% of the members here would need that.

Black Horse doesn't need it anymore, his AI car is just collecting dust :)

facemelter71
09-17-2008, 09:58 AM
If you use like organic pads or something then i would use slotted or dimpled.Unless your running really high brake temps that would warrent the use of dimpled or slotted.

98cobradan
09-17-2008, 11:33 AM
I am thinking towards my caliper swap in the future and wondering what the best rotor for the money is...

I currently have Raybestos Brutestop rotors (which are drilled and slotted)

I noticed that there are cracks around the holes, which I heard is common, but is it common on just the drilled/slotted combo rotors or all drilled rotors?

When I do my PBR swap, I was going to buy the HAWK pads and get some new rotors... but what type should I get?

Anyone had any experiences with both of these types of rotors?

Thanks!

those brutestop rotors suck, i had those on my cobra, and id say they lasted bout a year, thats with racing and hard stopping, they were warped bad

Stangman
09-17-2008, 12:01 PM
those brutestop rotors suck, i had those on my cobra, and id say they lasted bout a year, thats with racing and hard stopping, they were warped bad

Same issue I have going on right now, to the point where I cant tell if its in the steering or if the rotors are bad (which is more likely)