PDA

View Full Version : Mustang having a little electrical problem. Help please.

Black92LX
09-20-2008, 10:17 PM
I am not good with car electric problems at all so here is the deal.

I put my 96 Mustang into storage just over a year ago. Prior to storage it got a complete tune up and new intake manifold. Along with fresh fluids, fresh gas with a Stabilizer. The car drove pretty much perfect before going into storage. I put a few hundred miles on it after the manifold change and tune up. With no hiccups.

The car has been started and let to idle almost every other week.

Well the battery is shot. The car starts no problem if you put a jump box on it. The car car idles like a dream and revs great. No hanging idles, no misses, very solid, no check engine light.

The problem comes in when you try to drive it. Start to go forward and let off the clutch and all the warning lights come on the speedometer jumps to 50 mph (whether going forward or in reverse) along with all the other gauges jump.
The car seems to hesitate until you push the clutch back in and it proceeds to idle like normal.

I didn't have much time to fool with it this evening. But it did the same thing about 5 times. The last time I decided to see what it would do if I just continued. Well I let out the clutch everything kicked on and seemed like the car was hesitating did that for a few seconds ran fine for about 5 seconds till I ran out of driveway.

The car will run and idle like a champ but it will not charge the battery at all.

So is the alternator going bad and is producing enough juice to idle the car but when you go to put load on it not creating enough juice to power the car???
Or could it be an ECU problem since the battery is dead?

Any suggestions??

89notch
09-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Sounds like a voltage problem to me. I would say the alternator is on its way out and like you said has enough juice to idle the car and thats it.

graysonracin
09-20-2008, 11:18 PM
I would pull the alternator and have it checked at advance auto parts or somewhere, sounds like the problem mine went with no notice at all.

PaulFiveOh
09-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Be sure to check for a loose ground somewhere too.