PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous guys need help

Steves LX
09-22-2008, 02:27 PM
I must be missing something here or dont know all the little tricks yet. But for some reason or another I just cant seem to get my 60 ft times down on spray. I pull better 60ft's on motor than spray. I am not spinning either. Its seems like no matter what I do it doesn't work. I've tried leaving at different RPM's, different air pressure, different shock settings and nothing. I can 60 ft N/A 1.58 -1.61 all day long leaving at 5200 on a 2 step with 12-14PSI tire pressure. But turn around and spray 150 to it and I might as well be back on DR's. My best 60 on the bottle is a 1.68 with 10 PSI in the slicks. I tried bumping pressure up a little and still hooked and my 60 stayed the same. The car feels good coming out of the hole. Front tires come up powershift 2nd which my stock T-5 screams at me everytime and then 3rd and 4th. Come around get my timeslip and start weeping. I'm running times on a 150 wet shot that I ran on 125 dry. I put down 397RWHP and 496tq on the 150 wet shot vs my old set up on 125 dry ( 339RWHP and 408TQ).

Stangman
09-22-2008, 02:32 PM
You should just give it to me instead...

I'll even trade you a green Huffy mountain bike for it! :lol:

zlou363lx
09-22-2008, 02:37 PM
You should just give it to me instead...

I'll even trade you a green Huffy mountain bike for it! :lol:

that's a good deal! lol

Jeff88coupe
09-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Somethings off or not right. Can you list out your setup/timing/gears/tires. Where you launching at the same rpm on spray as n/a with those 60's you listed above? Wonder if you clutch is slipping on the spray.

quik lx
09-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Have you tried launching at a lower RPM? My coupe and Maggy's hatch produce 1.59-1.62 60FT's with only a 3500 launch. You may be shocking the tires too hard, remember nitrous makes torque and lots of it!!! I think Maggy's car has 426 Ft Lbs with the nitrous on on a stock motor!

Steves LX
09-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Somethings off or not right. Can you list out your setup/timing/gears/tires. Where you launching at the same rpm on spray as n/a with those 60's you listed above? Wonder if you clutch is slipping on the spray.

Jeff my set up is in my sig. I am running 3.73 gears and MT 26X8.5 ET Drag. I have tried launching as low as 4000 and as high as 5500.

Steves LX
09-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Have you tried launching at a lower RPM? My coupe and Maggy's hatch produce 1.59-1.62 60FT's with only a 3500 launch. You may be shocking the tires too hard, remember nitrous makes torque and lots of it!!! I think Maggy's car has 426 Ft Lbs with the nitrous on on a stock motor!

Joe the lowest I have tried is 4000 RPM's. I dont have my window switch wired up so I dont want to launch much lower than that in case the car bogs and drops the rpms too low and the car starts spraying on me. Joe the kit I am using is a NX wet kit with a mechanical WOT switch. I have my Zex window switch still but according to them I cant use it unless I buy a electronic WOT switch. Sounds like BS too me especially since they show a diagram of how to wire it up that way but I dont know. I'm sending you a PM.

facemelter71
09-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Joe the lowest I have tried is 4000 RPM's. I dont have my window switch wired up so I dont want to launch much lower than that in case the car bogs and drops the rpms too low and the car starts spraying on me. Joe the kit I am using is a NX wet kit with a mechanical WOT switch. I have my Zex window switch still but according to them I cant use it unless I buy a electronic WOT switch. Sounds like BS too me especially since they show a diagram of how to wire it up that way but I dont know. I'm sending you a PM.

Could you PM me a pic or some thing of how you got that mechanical switch hooked up?
I was also the guy that was down at Cincy Speed with Blake and Adam wondering how your T-5 has lasted.:D

Stangman
09-23-2008, 09:39 AM
I was also the guy that was down at Cincy Speed with Blake and Adam wondering how your T-5 has lasted.:D

HA! I can tell you myself it hasn't lasted... It's been tinkered with a few times to keep on living!:lol:

Steves LX
09-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Could you PM me a pic or some thing of how you got that mechanical switch hooked up?

It doesn't like 150 shot. But then again it doesn't like to be powershifted on motor either. I really need to upgrade it just waiting to run across a deal when I have a little money. I 'll send you a PM in just a second

Stangman
09-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Ya know.. maybe its because my car just doesnt have the raw testicles hangin out the back that yours does... but when I powershifted mine (before I screwed up 2nd gear...unrelated) my tranny didnt seem to mind it at all, and still dont (except for 2nd)

quik lx
09-23-2008, 10:57 AM

My T-5 is on its third season of 150 shot+slicks+3500rpm launch drag racing and luvin it!
:D

facemelter71
09-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Steve,your inbox is full.I didnt get that e-mail for some reason.Maybe its my comp at work.

And you all are crazy running on stock t-5's.I went through 4 T-5's in my 86 before i got my tremec.I even cleaned all the teeth off the input shaft one day.Dont know what you all are doin but its workin.

Drivermod
09-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Put some more tire under it. At 10 psi you are probably nearly bouncing the rim off the track :eek:. I'd put a stiff sidewall 26x10 out back and look for high 1.4 60 ft's. 500 ftlbs of torque is nothing to sneeze at. The clutch could be the problem as well. The fact that you are having trouble shifting the car points in that direction as well. If it's slipping the disk can swell up and reduce your gap causing the trans to grind on shifts.