PDA

View Full Version : VHT high heat spray paints

85_SS_302_Coupe
09-24-2008, 10:15 PM
I've been using some of these on some engine parts, thought i'd throw up a review.

For starters a little background....i can't paint a car but i can throw down with a spray can like a champ and i've used pretty much every brand on the market, so you can take my review to heart :lol:

Anyways, first impression is that it sprays nice and smooth, no sputtering or clogging that you get with cheap paint, and it lays down pretty nice. I did notice that coverage isn't so great and even though the cans are a good size, one can doesn't cover much area. I just did some valve covers and it took 1 1/2 cans, which typically only takes about one whole can.

The big hype with this paint is that it's supposed to be serious as far as holding up to heat...you're supposed to be able to really paint your headers and they hold up. Now, i don't know about that but as far as valve covers and stuff like that, it seems adequate. I did bake them in the oven and followed the directions on the can....one thing to note is that if you use your home oven, make sure the windows are open because it stinks a bit, and make sure your oven is CLEAN because the final heat phase is 600 degrees...most ovens only go to 550, but that's hot enough to turn any food in your oven to ash, which will float up and settle in your paint..which is what happened to me. I wouldn't worry too much about it hurting your food either...i've baked a bunch of paints in my oven and never have had any lingering smells or anything like that.

As for how well it holds up, i did my snorkel breather a couple months go. I didn't get to bake that because 1) it wouldn't fit in the oven, and 2) it has a plasic piece rivetted on that i didn't want to melt. However, it's holding up awesome so far...no pealing or anything like that. I typically use some kind of primer, but on these valve covers i just sprayed it on bare (they had been bead blasted and had a very fine texture which i think will give good enough adhesion).

It comes in a bunch of colors, but all i've found is flat black, silver, red and clear at Meijer in Eastgate, but i'm pretty sure the parts stores carry it to. So overall i'd say it's a solid 8 out of 10 as far as spray paints go. It seems to be pretty tough and it spray nice, but for $8.50 a can it should give better coverage than it does so that keeps it from getting a better rating. It does seem to be better than the Dupli Color high heat paints so that's a good thing.

PONYGRL
09-25-2008, 08:07 AM
I've never used high heat spray paints but I've used the Nightshades by VHT to tint my tail lights and I was very impressed. My brother actually did most of the painting but a few coats of that, then some clear coat and they look awesome. Still look as good today as the day he tinted them.

Blackballed
09-25-2008, 09:57 PM
I just got done doing my lights on my car with the nightshades. Awsome stuff. Very tedious with sanding and painting, but the end result is incredible. It took me about 6 hours on and off. :bigthumb:bigthumb:bigthumb. I am going to do my other vehicles also. I will post some pics.

bobtsgt
09-26-2008, 08:44 AM
I just got done doing my lights on my car with the nightshades. Awsome stuff. Very tedious with sanding and painting, but the end result is incredible. It took me about 6 hours on and off. :bigthumb:bigthumb:bigthumb. I am going to do my other vehicles also. I will post some pics.

your going to do all of mine to right :D

The high temp stuff is awesome. My downpipe still looks great after paint and wrap. Can't wait to try the Niteshade stuff out.

stroked4eyes
09-26-2008, 10:17 AM
When I had my Capri it is all I used on my headers. It is kind of tedious but it works great if you go through what I tell you:

1st I bead blast my headers to clean them up totally.
2nd I hang them using coat hangers so I can reach all sides of them easily and then I spray them liberally with thinner and let them dry...don't wipe them off.
3rd I spray them one coat of the VHT and let it dry. It doesn't appear that it coats well enough when you do it but that is ok.
4th I wait until they are dry (the next day) and spray them again. I then let that dry and spray them a 3rd time. I let it dry.
5th bolt them on and fire the car. They will smoke but it kind of adheres it to the metal. The last time the headers looked great for three full uears before I had to pull them off and do it again.

It seems like a lot of work at first but it looks nice and is cheaper than the alternatives.

Stangman
09-26-2008, 10:36 AM
This makes me want to blast my BBK's and use that stuff!

I'll probably ues this stuff on my 351 swap headers when I get them in from Texas

Blackballed
09-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Here are my pics.

Stangman
09-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Wow the lights look killer!

Is it really that time consuming??

stroked4eyes
09-26-2008, 12:08 PM

Those really do look awesome!!!:bigthumb

85_SS_302_Coupe
09-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Well i can verify that it holds up to engine oil quite well and wipes right off. My PCV gromets are leaking like crazy and the oil just wipes right off.

Blackballed
09-26-2008, 06:49 PM

It is just a lot of wet sanding to keep the shine. 3 coats of clear too.