PDA

View Full Version : cant catch a break

mustangjon
09-25-2008, 05:20 PM
well as most ya know i had issues getting the car running right after build, got it fixed yest all was good in paradise... few more bucks spent but its all good.

Ever wonder what happens when your alternator takes a crap and goes into overdrive??? melts fusible link... fusible link falls off alternator, leaving hot 12 volt from battery source dead shorting to alternator housing.. causes arcing... (happened as i was getting off 275 today) get a mile up road to start having issues.. stop at stoplight, smoke rolling out under hood. open hood to a FIYAH! Now i know why i always have a fire extinguisher with me, i run to trunk grab it douse the fire, its out. Keep in mind this is right above the fuel rail, so i got extremely lucky.

Damage done minimal, had to replace fusible link, alternator lead wire, plug wires, had to go with motorcraft, for fact i had to get it home, alternator had bench tested ok, so was like cool, replace this and good. Well i start it up while im still sitting at motors, immediatly get volt meter out... alternator is putting out 19.5 volts:eek::eek: Well now i know why the first started and what caused it sigh. So had to buy new alternator, for lack of options limp it home 4 blocks on battery, so now have to reclock the new 3g alt... and install....

moral of the story ALWAYS, ALWAYS, carry a fire extinguisher

facemelter71
09-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Always have one with me.My 86 full fielded and blew up my battery coming out of thriftway in Colerain.No signs of anything.Just blew up.Now i have a full autometer cluster.I keep a really close eye on engine vitals.

Stangman
09-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Damn. Tough break Jon. Atleast you took the precaution to carry an extinguisher with you. 2 thumbs up for thinking ahead :bigthumb :bigthumb

Mavowar
09-26-2008, 07:35 PM
The pig tail(plug in) should always be replaced on that era of fords....seen many catch blaze......

Glad you got it out in time!!!!:)

mustangjon
09-26-2008, 10:11 PM
well i have the 3g alt upgrade... but i was using a junkyard pigtail. Was being keyword. Still not really sure what caused what if it was definatly the alt or chaffed plug/coil wire. But today i replaced alternator, and the pig tail redid the whole side of the car wiring, tucked and routed and electrical taped, and wire loomed it all. Plus took a piece of heater hose to cover over the maxifuse incase it melts again.. it wont fall behind the alt and land on housing dead shorting 12volt live.

DeckerEnt
09-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Hope that fixes it Jon. At least to and from the cruise in.
Keith

rogers
09-27-2008, 09:08 PM
i know about needing a fire extingisher me and the wife were dating and i spent all my money on her just to get to the movies and smell fuel pop the hood and the excelerator pump was leaking took her home and went to see my mom for more money (just spent mine on booty i wasn't going to get that day:lol::lol::lol:) when i left my moms work i started the car the leak puddled on the intake distributor lit it up and wham big f'n fire use the abc extingisher and ruined everything under the hood that power just wouldn't come off thats been 12 years ago and i laugh now but i checked everyday after that :lol: