PDA

View Full Version : Best way to flush a coolant system??

Stangman
10-01-2008, 03:38 PM
I've been working on flushing my coolant system lately. I've gotten a LOT of sediment out of the block and the car runs a whole lot cooler, but I've been letting it run with water in it for about 3 weeks because I havent had the time to keep flushing it. Each time I'd get some very nasty looking stuff out of it, which boggles me since I had the system flushed less than 2 years ago...

Anyway, the way I've been doing it is, letting the car warm up and circulate, shut it off, then syphoning the resivior out, then syphoning the radiator out... (Which doesnt get whats in the block real well i know)

Is there a better way to do this on my own or should I keep at it until the water starts to turn clear then fill it back up with the mix of distilled water and full strength antifreeze??

Cold weather is coming, I dont wanna get my block frozen!!

facemelter71
10-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Had the same problem in my coupe.I kept flushing it till it went clear.Took about two times to get it clean.

1992MustangDW
10-01-2008, 05:05 PM
I bought a t like fitting one time and stuck it on the hoses on the upper intake, going into the firewall, and attached a garden hose to the other side, let it run for about 5 minutes, filled it up ran it for a day and repeated the process one more time and it got almost everything out.

Stangman
10-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Must be nice to only flush it once or twice!!

I've flushed mine about 8 times so far! :lol:

I talked to my buddy of mine who works at a shop, he will hook me up on getting it flushed, just a matter of time.

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-02-2008, 12:38 PM
I always just stuck a hose in the radiator and pulled off the upper hose and let it hang to the ground and ran the car until the water runs clean. It wouldn't hurt to do this and then let it cool down, then start it up and let the water run out of the engine and radiator so that you're starting with a 50/50 mix. You'll be ok running it dry, just don't run it very long.