PDA

View Full Version : Clutch help

Steves LX
10-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Right now I am running a Ford Racing clutch that isn't quite doing the trick for me on nitrous. I am considering changing it out to something else. I need some help on what clutch to use. I dont want something thats going to hit super hard. I am only running a WC T5 tranny and by no means want to grenade it. I am spraying a 150 wet shot. Any help would be appreciated.

Steves LX
10-01-2008, 10:05 PM
No smart comments there Curt:lol::lol:

Rob
10-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Well bud it is going to come to a point where either the clutch is going to slip or the trans is going to come apart. I have a spec clutch in my car and so far so good, it is a little aggresive but it is a stage 3+. You can drive my car to see if you like it.

ibstrokin
10-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Centerforce Dual Friction is one of my fav's, light pedal, great grip. I was running low 11's on mine then switched to a spec 3 (another great clutch and great price at cincy speed) because I was worried about the Cf/df slipping ( which it never did ). I went 10.80's w/the spec 3. I liked the cf/df better than the spec, but i think the spec 3 is better for higher hp cars, but up to 500 or so, I would go centerforce all the way. I have had mcloed's and motorsport clutches also, cf's all the way.

Steves LX
10-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Well bud it is going to come to a point where either the clutch is going to slip or the trans is going to come apart. I have a spec clutch in my car and so far so good, it is a little aggresive but it is a stage 3+. You can drive my car to see if you like it.

I was actually thinking about getting a stage 2 spec but after talking to some people today I really dont want to have my tranny come apart. I dont mind if my clutch slips some but its slipping pretty bad right now on the spray. I am going to try launching at a lower rpm and see how that goes before I make the switch. I am just fed up haveing the power for low 11's and maybe even a high 10 but can't get it all to the pavement. I plan to upgrade my tranny this winter for next year. Just trying to figure out a quick way now.

Steves LX
10-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Centerforce Dual Friction is one of my fav's, light pedal, great grip. I was running low 11's on mine then switched to a spec 3 (another great clutch and great price at cincy speed) because I was worried about the Cf/df slipping ( which it never did ). I went 10.80's w/the spec 3. I liked the cf/df better than the spec, but i think the spec 3 is better for higher hp cars, but up to 500 or so, I would go centerforce all the way. I have had mcloed's and motorsport clutches also, cf's all the way.

So Brian how is that going to play with my T5? I drive to and from the track. I know anything can happen no matter what your set up is but from the same perspective I dont want to put one of those in and found out on the first pass that was a bad idea and have to get towed an 1 1/2 hours back home.

92coupe
10-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Steve i can say from personal experiance, The spec stage 3 will not slip i welded one to the flywheel last season. I geuss it swelled and welded itself. Otherwise a really good clutch. They are either on or off really no in between.

Steves LX
10-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Steve i can say from personal experiance, The spec stage 3 will not slip i welded one to the flywheel last season. I geuss it swelled and welded itself. Otherwise a really good clutch. They are either on or off really no in between.

I know the specs wont slip. I dont want to twist an input shaft either though. My tranny is just not built for the power I am putting down. I just thought I would get some oppinions before I upgrade my tranny. I guess what I am really after is something that will grab a little harder than the Ford Racing one I have now. That a way, knock on wood I wont have to worry about my tranny the rest of this season.

92coupe
10-01-2008, 11:16 PM
We have a spec stage 2 in my wifes car, It is on my old engine i had good luck with it when i had it in my coupe for a couple years. I think it's starting to catch high up now. It has probably 15,000 hard miles on it.

ibstrokin
10-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Well, You can't have it both ways. Either your clutch will slip, and hurt your e.t.'s, or it wont, and the likelyhood of tranny breakage goes up. If it was me, I would put in a Centerforce D.F., and limit your speed shifts. Flyin2jz was going 11.40's with a bone stock 135,000 mile t5 (nelly). I have friends that used two t5's, one in the car and one being rebuilt.

Also, if your clutch has been slipping on spray, your flywheel is probably glazed, so I would'nt be surprised if it starts slipping on the motor.

Steves LX
10-01-2008, 11:26 PM
We have a spec stage 2 in my wifes car, It is on my old engine i had good luck with it when i had it in my coupe for a couple years. I think it's starting to catch high up now. It has probably 15,000 hard miles on it.

What kinda tranny is in your wifes car and if it is a t5 are you still using the 10 spline input shaft or did you upgrade to the 26 spline?

Steves LX
10-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Well, You can't have it both ways. Either your clutch will slip, and hurt your e.t.'s, or it wont, and the likelyhood of tranny breakage goes up. If it was me, I would put in a Centerforce D.F., and limit your speed shifts. Flyin2jz was going 11.40's with a bone stock 135,000 mile t5 (nelly). I have friends that used two t5's, one in the car and one being rebuilt.

Also, if your clutch has been slipping on spray, your flywheel is probably glazed, so I would'nt be surprised if it starts slipping on the motor.

Yeah I'm sure its glazed. My plan is to go to Tristate this Sat and try launching a little softer and see if I dont pick up any. Then sometime before the 11th I plan to pull the flywheel and have it turned and replace the clutch. I know it has to be slipping. My 60's are much better on motor(1.58-162) than spray(1.65-1.68 150 shot) and the car is hooking and lifting the tires off the ground so I know its not a traction issue. Kennebell will testify to that. The car is definitely hooking out of the hole both on motor and spray.

92coupe
10-01-2008, 11:33 PM
What kinda tranny is in your wifes car and if it is a t5 are you still using the 10 spline input shaft or did you upgrade to the 26 spline?

It has the 10 spline t-5 When i had that motor in my coupe with that clutch i was running the wc t-5 I never had any major slippage with et drags. Of course like you i didnt wanna hurt my trans so i launched the car @ 3500

Steves LX
10-01-2008, 11:37 PM
It has the 10 spline t-5 When i had that motor in my coupe with that clutch i was running the wc t-5 I never had any major slippage with et drags. Of course like you i didnt wanna hurt my trans so i launched the car @ 3500

O.K. well I guess I have been awful ballsy for worrying about breaking my tranny. I have been leaving on the 2 step at 5200-6000 RPMS. Thats on both motor and spray. I have been doing that all year since April.

ibstrokin
10-01-2008, 11:48 PM
I used to launch my old t5 at 5k years ago with no problems, but rick93coupe broke 1st gear out of his t5 in his old white 408 coupe on dr's.

92coupe
10-02-2008, 12:06 AM
If your not breaking shit, Your not trying hard enuff!

12seclx
10-02-2008, 12:46 AM
No smart comments there Curt:lol::lol:

I was going to but closed the page instead... shortly after you first posted this thread... :lol:

I like my Pro-Motion clutch and pressure plate set-up....
I'm not really a big fan of that place because they sure stuck it to me on
my trans. over winter but there clutch/pressure plate set-up works in my junk....

Besides kennebellcobra's lx, my pedal feels soft and it grabs...
Never had it slip or anything like that.... pulled a couple 1.56, several 1.57 sixty foots on 26 x 8.5 slicks up at the ol' junk Muncie track everyone hates on here... :lol:

My tires are also 4-5 years old...

Another friend of mine had this same clutch set-up behind his car with a Vortech and on a drag radial went a 1.54 sixty foot and another friend with slicks went 1.41 and ran 10's.... both with g-force T-5's....

Steves LX
10-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Well I guess I am either going to go with the Spec stage 2 or a King Cobra.

1992MustangDW
10-02-2008, 11:15 AM
i wouldnt get the king cobra, i have the mods listed in my sid plus a 200 shot, the thing slipped pretty good going into 3rd and 4th

Jeff88coupe
10-02-2008, 11:23 AM
I use to run a FMS HD clutch years ago. It was behind a stock 302 combo with ported p heads/mild cam/gt40 intake. It survived alot of abuse...12.20's n/a...and many nitrous passes...best of a 10.98 at 126. Car would 60' in the 1.5's.

Steves LX
10-02-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm thinking about just getting that King Cobra then. I really want my tranny to survive the rest of the season. I am going to try launching around 3500 on 150 shot and see if that doesn't help any before I go replacing it though.

Stangman
10-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Maybe, just maybe... a money tree will grow out back behind your barn leaving us fresh dollars to pick every day! Then ya can just get ya a G-farce and some 31 spline stuff :bigthumb

2-8-1
10-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I have a Spec 2+. It is a very nice setup IMO and doesn't shock as hard as my old Spec3 did. It chatters a little, but nothing bad.

Steves LX
10-02-2008, 01:33 PM
I keep hearing all the good stuff about these spec clutches that I might just break down and buy one. I am first going to try a couple different things at the track before I run out and buy something. I am going to try launching at say 3000-4000 instead of 5200-6000. I am also going to try having the spray come on once I am out of the hole a little ways and see what that doesn't do for my ET's. The window switch I use is programmable and you can set it up to spray in what ever gear you want to.

juiced347
10-20-2008, 01:16 AM
So Brian how is that going to play with my T5? I drive to and from the track. I know anything can happen no matter what your set up is but from the same perspective I dont want to put one of those in and found out on the first pass that was a bad idea and have to get towed an 1 1/2 hours back home.

my dual friction got broke in at the ford expo and is still holding up with no sliipping

phatford
10-27-2008, 06:12 PM
do you want to sell your current clutch?