PDA

View Full Version : Question about Palin...

NaomiDstangLvr
10-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Okay to anyone who's got good knowledge with politics, 'cause I'm not....

I was talking to my father today and he told me about how she gave a $2500.00 check to every single citizen in Alaska (I think over 800,000 people). Her approval rating there is 73% I think? Another thing when she went to the doctors when she was pregnant and found out about her baby having down syndrome, and refused to have an abortion, the doctor told her to find a new doctor and they actually had her and her husband go out a different door than everyone else? Just some facts I didn't know about her....

mach_u
10-02-2008, 10:47 PM
I was under the impression her approval rating was in the high 80%?

Rick93coupe
10-02-2008, 11:05 PM
damn, I missed the debate, how did it turn out?

PaulFiveOh
10-02-2008, 11:24 PM
The check is an oil dividend check paid by the companies that pump oil through their state. Each person at least 1 years old get a huge dividend check.

Loco07GT
10-02-2008, 11:47 PM
She did an excellent job during the debate this evening! She's a no nonsense type of person, someone who tells it how it is and carries thru with her promises, just as the people of Alaska! NaomiDStangLvr your right about the checks given to the people of her state. She took some of the money generated by the states oil resources and gave it back to the people who reside in the state.

04 Venom
10-03-2008, 08:30 AM
The check is an oil dividend check paid by the companies that pump oil through their state. Each person at least 1 years old get a huge dividend check.

Just to set the record straight, this is not something that Palin started. The first dividend was issued in 1982 and a dividend has been paid every year since then. The smallest dividend was $331 and this year's check is $1654. To qualify you have to live in Alaska for a full year and file an application.

Waffles
10-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Thank you, Captain Google.

NaomiDstangLvr
10-03-2008, 01:50 PM

Yeah, thats what he said it was from. I thought that was awesome she did that.

But they said Biden won last night.

04 Venom
10-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Thank you, Captain Google.

No, I actually read newspapers.

NaomiDstangLvr
10-03-2008, 01:56 PM
No, I actually read newspapers.Thats good Venom! :lol:;)

04 Venom
10-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Well actually I got the figure wrong. The New York Times business section article that I quoted was last-year's dividend. I didn't read it very carefully. The Wall Street Journal's reported that this year's figure is actually $2069. My bad.

Drivermod
10-03-2008, 02:23 PM
But they said Biden won last night.

Who said? I wouldn't take the media's word on any of this crap. Do some research and make an educated decision. I thought it was quite amusing switching back and forth from Fox News and MSNBC. You would think there were two different debates last night.

I personally like what I know of Palin. She is the most conservative player on either ticket which is good in my view.:bigthumb She may not be ready to be President just yet but she isn't running for President.

NaomiDstangLvr
10-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Who said? I wouldn't take the media's word on any of this crap. Do some research and make an educated decision. I thought it was quite amusing switching back and forth from Fox News and MSNBC. You would think there were two different debates last night.

I personally like what I know of Palin. She is the most conservative player on either ticket which is good in my view.:bigthumb She may not be ready to be President just yet but she isn't running for President.
All of the "annalists" said that. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts53

Mustard
10-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Well actually I got the figure wrong. The New York Times business section article that I quoted was last-year's dividend. I didn't read it very carefully. The Wall Street Journal's reported that this year's figure is actually $2069. My bad.

New york Times and Wall Street Journal you say. Just 2 of teh most Liberal news papaers on the planet. I surprised that the new york times didn't finish up there article by saying Governer Palin wants to go out and club baby seals or something

04 Venom
10-03-2008, 03:39 PM
New york Times and Wall Street Journal you say. Just 2 of teh most Liberal news papaers on the planet. I surprised that the new york times didn't finish up there article by saying Governer Palin wants to go out and club baby seals or something

You obviously don't read newspapers do you? Reporting facts does not require a political philosophy. You can find the exact same facts regarding the Alasks oil dividend in any number of newspapers anywhere in the country. I guess you think any paper published in New York has a liberal slant. So I suppose the New York Post and the Wall Street Journal fall into that category? Just for your edification, Rupert Murdoch owns Fox News, the NY Post and Wall Street Journal as well as a number of British and Australian tabloids. Hardly a left-wing media guru, huh?

Getting back to the Wall Street Journal you are so ignorant of, it caters to the business and financial community and is regarded as being conservative.

Your ignorance of the media even exceeds your inability to spell common words or to recognize when, and when not, to capitalize nouns. :lol::lol:

IWRBB
10-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Dude, the NYTimes is as liberal as they get- that's well known.

beefcake
10-03-2008, 07:35 PM
guy at work said the drudge report had like about 900,000 people rate the debate and it was like 750k for palin and 150 k for biden

i didn't watch it, but one guy at work that did said biden said like 5 times how he loveds mccain

Mustard
10-03-2008, 08:20 PM
You obviously don't read newspapers do you? Reporting facts does not require a political philosophy. You can find the exact same facts regarding the Alasks oil dividend in any number of newspapers anywhere in the country. I guess you think any paper published in New York has a liberal slant. So I suppose the New York Post and the Wall Street Journal fall into that category? Just for your edification, Rupert Murdoch owns Fox News, the NY Post and Wall Street Journal as well as a number of British and Australian tabloids. Hardly a left-wing media guru, huh?

Getting back to the Wall Street Journal you are so ignorant of, it caters to the business and financial community and is regarded as being conservative.

Your ignorance of the media even exceeds your inability to spell common words or to recognize when, and when not, to capitalize nouns. :lol::lol:

You should know that for the last 10 years I have worked in the paper industry. Well whats left of it any how. The NYT single copy sales are way down due to there liberal slant of there coverage of this election. Dayton Daily news is going through the same thing. People don't want to hear what may be. they want the truth. Thats something in short suppy in journalism these days.

04 Venom
10-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Dude, the NYTimes is as liberal as they get- that's well known.

Read carefully. I didn't take issue with the characterization regarding the NYT--only the Wall Street Journal and the inference that any newspaper in NYC is "liberal".

04 Venom
10-03-2008, 10:24 PM
You should know that for the last 10 years I have worked in the paper industry. Well whats left of it any how. The NYT single copy sales are way down due to there liberal slant of there coverage of this election. Dayton Daily news is going through the same thing. People don't want to hear what may be. they want the truth. Thats something in short suppy in journalism these days.

If you work in the newspaper industry, then you should know that the entire industry has experienced a reduction is circulation. Let's assume the single copy sales of the NYT is down, what makes you think that it is due any perceive "slant"? If your illogical cause and effect really existed, then all "conservative" newspapers should be increasing in circulation because people want, as you term it, "the truth". Guess what--it hasn't happened. Most newspapers have lost readership regardless of whether they are "conservative" or "liberal".

04 Venom
10-03-2008, 10:41 PM
guy at work said the drudge report had like about 900,000 people rate the debate and it was like 750k for palin and 150 k for biden

i didn't watch it, but one guy at work that did said biden said like 5 times how he loveds mccain

I was curious as to how independent and undecided voters viewed the debate, since each party's supporters always rate their candidate higher. According to the polls I read this morning, both independents and undecideds believed that Biden won the debate and was more knowledgeable (by as much as 15 percentage points). Some polls reported that respondents liked Palin more as a person.

Mustard
10-04-2008, 03:51 PM
If you work in the newspaper industry, then you should know that the entire industry has experienced a reduction is circulation. Let's assume the single copy sales of the NYT is down, what makes you think that it is due any perceive "slant"? If your illogical cause and effect really existed, then all "conservative" newspapers should be increasing in circulation because people want, as you term it, "the truth". Guess what--it hasn't happened. Most newspapers have lost readership regardless of whether they are "conservative" or "liberal".

You are correct. Almost allmajor news publications have had there sales drop over the past year. What I was refering to are the complaints that are recived. when asked why they feel the way they do the answer latley is because of the "slant" the paper is taking. I thought I had put that in my last post but I didn't.

02mingryGT
10-05-2008, 11:59 AM

Venom's right on this one. Should be obvious that a newspaper dedicated to Wall Street and business wouldn't be liberal. Also the Drudgereport, which I happen to read every day has a rather large conservative readership. So understand the poll takers on there are conservative voters.

And overall readership is down across the board on newspapers to the internet. But, subscriptions are down substantially more on the NYT when compared nationwide to other papers.

Democrats are going to say Biden won and Republicans are going to say Palin. What I would like to see is an poll taken by independents. Considering she was "supposed" to get blown out of the water by Biden I would think you have to say she either won or it was a tie.

04 Venom
10-05-2008, 02:29 PM
What I would like to see is an poll taken by independents. Considering she was "supposed" to get blown out of the water by Biden I would think you have to say she either won or it was a tie.

The polls of independents and undecideds favored Biden. Since the expectations were so low for Palin, she had a very good night even though it hasn't, so far, improved the voters' perception of whether she is qualified to be President.