PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Guru Needed

Bill
10-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Well it seems as if we won't be making it to Bowling Green due to Torque Converter and Tranny issues which we can't figure out.

The tranny is a Powerglide with a Turbo 400 input shaft.

After Columbus we sent the torque converter out for work. We got it back and installed it. As of 9/30/08, we had the tranny installed and the car was being prepped to make it to the event. Upon starting to run through the gears for one final check of the drivetrain we noticed the tranny was not pumping fluid. After investigating the problem we decided to pull the transmission and upon doing so found the pump was broken. The ears that torque converter snout engage were broken.

We got a new pump and installed it. We put the torque converter back i and got the tranny put in the car and was ready to snug the bellhousing bolts up. Well there was 1/8'' to 3/16'' gap between the bellhousing and the midplate/block, but the torque converter was against the flywheel and couldn't be turned or slid backward. After screwing around with that for many hours we pulled the tranny again. We have the tranny out of the car and have found that the torque converter is not seating in the pump all the way. This is why the pump ears sheared off was because they weren't engaging fully and probably broke when the bellhousing was tightened to teh block.

We called who reworked the converter and he mentioned that the splines on the stator output shaft may be tight not allowing the converter to slide back further in the tranny and engage the pump.

We have probably 30+ hours in this thing over the last 2 days and we are at our wits end trying to figure out what is wrong. We had a lot riding on the Bowling Green race and everything has come crashing down on us. Is it something we are doing wrong or is the converter wrong or the pump wrong ... we just don't know. Bryan and I are not dumbasses and Geoff has swapped a torque converter a time or two, but neither one of us can figure out what the hell is wrong.

We need somebody with experience w/ transmissions to come over and work through this and determine if they have the same problem as us. If so we need to know why in the hell it work work. If anybody is interested shoot me and email or PM. Or you can call me @ 513.675.7099 or Bryan @ 513.313.0166.

It is not something we are looking to have done today. We just need to know sometime soon what the problem is so we can get the car back together and running. If you want compensated for your time we can discuss.

In the meantime if we get it figured out I will posted.

--Bill

Bill
10-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Friday Morning we planned on not going. Friday afternoon I had an idea and we got the combo to work. We left Bethel at 10:30p, got in Blowing Green around 2:45am. We were at the track at 8:30am and got two rounds of qualifying in. We were one day and three passes behind, but we will do what we can.

--Bill

Dirtyd0g
10-05-2008, 03:32 AM
I was wondering why I hadn't heard back from you.
Good luck.
Alan

Timido
10-05-2008, 09:46 PM
I just read this. Did you get the converter to seat all the way into the pump?

Bill
10-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Yes we got it seated fully. There was something wrong with the splines stator support of the loaner pump. We ended up swapping gears and using our original pump w/ the news gears. It fit in just fine.

Thanks for offering to help Dirty Dog and sorry I hadn't got back with you. We left at 10:30p for Bowling Green and the rest of the weekend was hectic. I am just glad we got it fixed so we could make it to the race.

--Bill