PDA

View Full Version : A system for my Coupe

DeckerEnt
10-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I know my coupe build is on hold right now but I am thinking about an audio system for it. I know I want separates in the door/dash, 3 ways or better in the rear shelf, and a pair of 10s in a box in the trunk. Most of the time, it will be me alone driving in the car. I of course want it loud. I like loud rock metal and sometimes a little rap.
Any suggestions about type, size of speakers, amps, etcetc..
Keith

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Personally i would go with one really badass 10 or 12 in the trunk....unless you're looking to show off your bass to the guy 3 lanes over, you don't need 2 subs. I used to have two 12'' Kicker Comp VR's in my Jeep, and for a "good" sub they sounded amazing. There's lots of more expensive subs out there but they would make you deaf if you weren't careful. Also i personally like Alpine stereos. I haven't bought many other speakers so i'll let the pros comment on that.

Maximus
10-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Check out Pauls system in his stang he never drives.:D

Mr.Moontang
10-08-2008, 08:16 AM
I am in the process of having mine redone in the Queen, I have a nice box that holds 2 12'' subs and some stains in the living room carpet if you get my drift...

Stangman
10-08-2008, 08:59 AM
I am in the process of having mine redone in the Queen, I have a nice box that holds 2 12'' subs and some stains in the living room carpet if you get my drift...

That damn cat again?

facemelter71
10-08-2008, 11:35 AM
I had 1 alpine 10'' type R sub in a very small box with its own amp mounted to the back of it.It hit just as hard as two 12''.My buddy now has the system in his truck.You want me to check if he wants to sell it?

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-08-2008, 11:53 AM
I had 1 alpine 10'' type R sub in a very small box with its own amp mounted to the back of it.It hit just as hard as two 12''.My buddy now has the system in his truck.You want me to check if he wants to sell it?

Might wanna PM fordfan (Kenny) on this one too. He had one 12'' Audiobaun with a well matched amp in his Focus and it hit just as hard as my two 12'' Kickers. It's all about having a sub that can handle a good 800w amp and having it in the right size box.

Mista Bone
10-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Power the 3 ways in the rear deck from the head unit power, only there for rear FILL. You'll also need to seal the back of the off from the sub or they will act as passive radiators from the subs pressure waves.

4 Gauge power and ground.

What size is the dash openings, 4x6 IIRC?????

You can end up with a crappy soundstage bouncing the tunes off the glass.

I might have a nice 800 watt Soundstream 5 channel amp that would work nicely :)

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/bonespec/4%20Door%20LX/Soundstream/PA170003.jpg

cobrajoe
10-08-2008, 03:46 PM
A Bazooka tube with the sub switched out with a Kicker or equivalent and poly filled might surprise ya! It will save ya some space.

DeckerEnt
10-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Power the 3 ways in the rear deck from the head unit power, only there for rear FILL. You'll also need to seal the back of the off from the sub or they will act as passive radiators from the subs pressure waves.

4 Gauge power and ground.

What size is the dash openings, 4x6 IIRC?????

You can end up with a crappy soundstage bouncing the tunes off the glass.

I might have a nice 800 watt Soundstream 5 channel amp that would work nicely :)

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/bonespec/4%20Door%20LX/Soundstream/PA170003.jpg

That looks cool. I was thinking the 3 ways in the rear deck in their own boxes. That should seperate them from the subs. That 5 channel, will it run my whole system if I go with 1 sub, the seperates etc...?
Let me know a $$$$
Keith

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-08-2008, 04:19 PM
If i ever get around to doing a serious setup in my coupe, i'm probably gonna put some 6'' or however big i can fit into the side plastic panels by the seats...you may wanna look into that instead of putting boxes in your back window.

My buddy is talking about cutting a piece of plywood to fit in the back window to put two 10'' subs in, instead of having them in a box. The only downside there is that they're right out in plain view for everyone to see and for the sun to dry rot.

Mista Bone
10-08-2008, 04:59 PM
That amp will run a whole system.......

10" Kicker F-10 into a Bazzooka does amazingly well!

Sharad
10-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Keith,

there are some scary comments in here...

Fwiw, I suggest a component set for the front (6.5" bass drivers in the doors and separate tweeters up front) and TWO-way 6x8s for the back deck. I think you could achieve your goal by either putting some kickass components and 6x8s in the car run off of a GOOD clean amp and NO SUB, or you could run the components and 6x8s off of head unit power and run one or two GOOD subs in the trunk.

This is what I do for a living, and I'm happy to help if you have any questions. Send me a PM if you want my cell phone number.

Good luck!

DeckerEnt
10-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks. I may do that. I am thinking along the lines of a single 10 or 12 so not to overpower the sound with base. But I also know that I need power to get more volume. I have had systems in a few cars over the years but built one component at a time. I want to plan this one out so everything works together.
Keith

Mista Bone
10-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Sharad, what about a bandpass box with output firing thru the rear deck :)

Getting kind of custom, but no power lost trying to push sound thru the seats.

Myself, I would do a 6.5" midbass in the doors, do some research for a 4" + tweet location, then a sub.

50 w/chan for the for the 4" + tweet
50 w/chan for the mid bass
200-400 watts for the sub.

Or with a killer Dynaudio 3 way setup

200 w/chan for the front
400 watts for 1-2 subs

This assumes using my amp or a similar 3-4-5 channel amp.

Keith, this Soundstream amp is something I really wanna keep, took me a while to find it.

DeckerEnt
10-08-2008, 10:23 PM
No problem. I am still in the planning stage.
Keith

Sharad
10-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Main problem with a bandpass setup is that it's probably twice the weight of a sealed enclosure. I doubt that Keith's living the thugg life so I'm guessing he'd sacrifice the low frequency output for nice tight sound quality. That is just an assumption though.

I need to quit being lazy and just put the system in my car. It's better to show you what I recommend than it is to just pontificate. I'll try to pry myself away from the 'net and get started this morning.

DeckerEnt
10-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Get to work Guy!!! LOL
Keith