PDA

View Full Version : new clutch breakin????

rogers
10-08-2008, 07:29 PM
:lol:i put a spec stage 1 in the gt last weekend replaced everything, cleaned everything, resurfaced the flywheel, recleaned everything as i put it together it was a very text book r&r so here i am now with 80 some miles on the clutch and if i try and slip it it will chatter but if i get into the throttle it don't chatter at all but i don't want to damage the freakin thing (yet) :lol: its my first clutch swap in this car well first stab at a performance clutch of any sort i did my friends 91 5.0 lx with a king cobra swap and his worked great mine went so smooth i can't seem to figure out what the deal is is this just the way it breaks in or is it glazing of some sort any ideas would be helpful i like how it shifts the rest of the time it's just the take offs that have me bugged. i got a off road x now and its a little loud i dont want to draw to much local law inforcement attention but if i got push on it a bit i'll just hafta" :lol::lol:

graysonracin
10-08-2008, 08:08 PM
I just put a spec stage 2+ in mine, and it says to give it at least 500 miles before any quick shifting or hard launches. Havent drove mine yet though, and ive not used spec before, maybe go easy on it for alittle while and see if it gets any better. Could be a flywheel issue also.

rogers
10-08-2008, 08:23 PM
o i been babying it and i wonder if it just is gripper than i expected it is just in first too and not always i haven't dumped the clutch or nothing like that the flywheel was resurfaced and it lined up so nice i have to redo my x pipe cause i don't like how it fits it's too close to the trans so i'm going to cut the welds and reweld it this weekend (it was used) and on a auto car so.... thanks anyone else....

evildriver
10-08-2008, 08:53 PM
I just put a spec stg.1 and spec steel flywheel in mine and I thought it did the same thing. Seems fine now. There is about 300-400 miles on it. I didn't wait no 500 miles though.:D

91boost
10-08-2008, 08:56 PM
I put a spec stage three in my friends 98 cobra and it does the same thing. I have heard from a few people that specs chatter a little but are badass clutches.

Timido
10-08-2008, 09:25 PM
I think the break in helps the clutch last longer. I used to put them in the car drive it around the pits then break it in durring the burnout before a run.

rogers
10-08-2008, 09:44 PM
okay now i'm feeling better about it i figure theres some sorta wear in then it would be okay i just wanted to make sure i can't wait to get back to the track with the old clutch and a throw out bearing that wasn't working right the car went 14.20 at 98mph with a 2.1 60' on streeet tires i went 14.20 at 95mph with a 1.90 60' on some mickey's looking for better times now

rogers
10-11-2008, 08:35 PM
alright 300 miles later still a small chatter in first but if i just push on it just a bit nothing the clutch just grabs and its go time made a few good shifts with it today up to about 4k and it's so nice and the x pipe sounds awesome so at this rate next week i should have my gears in and be able rip on it a bit :bigthumb