PDA

View Full Version : Merkur Double Edge Razor

Timido
10-10-2008, 10:32 PM
http://www.leesrazors.com/product_images/a/merkur_38c__71655_thumb.jpgI ordered some shaving stuff on line. I have some sensitive skin and wanted to try out a old style double edge saftey razor. I ordered a Merkur razor with shaving soap and a brush. I read how to shave with this razor online with the soap. I am really digging this it is so much nicer than the tripple edge mach3 and fussions that rip off a layer of skin with each pass. Maybe now I will shave more than once a week now that it is not painfull. New blades are a fraction of the cost of the mach3s a 10 pack of new blades is $1.47

mustang8998
10-10-2008, 11:07 PM
I've been using the soap, for a long time now. My dad always used it. I was visiting mom and dad, in SC and had forgotten shaving cream. Pop said, "try this" and I threw away the shaving cream, when I got home. I usually use the Williams brand, but recently bought another brand that I think I like even better, but can't remember the brand. It was in a green box (Williams is blue).

I do, however, still use the Gillette Sensor Excel razor. I think the soap is the big difference.

Rick93coupe
10-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Never tried the old school razors, I like the mach 3. My uncle turned me on to the soap and brush method and it is pretty good.
I was listening to Clark Howard one day and he had a guest on the phone who was a metalurgist. Guy claimed that cleaning the blade with hot water for about 30 seconds and blow drying it, would make it last a lot longer. Apparently its not the hair the dulls it, its the standing water on the blade. Anyway, I can use a single mach 3 blade for right around a month before I need to throw it out now. I have a very coarse beard too, so I'm saving a ton.

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Think you can shave your head with it?

Rick93coupe
10-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Removing a layer of skin, isn't that what women calling exfoliating? :lol:

I thought that was a good thing :confused:

Mista Bone
10-10-2008, 11:49 PM
all electric here.

Carl
10-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Electric here too...can't stand nicks n cuts.

mustang8998
10-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Electric here too...can't stand nicks n cuts.

You pussies! :lol:

Hell, I'm taking blood thinners and should be using electric, but I can't stand shaving and still feel like I need to shave.

Mista Bone
10-11-2008, 02:10 AM
I shave once every 2-3 weeks, regular razor razor not gonna cut it. Electric with beard trimmer....

Evil_Capri
10-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Darn . . . I thought the thread title might be some crazy Merkur XR4TI/Sierra Cossie machine!! :lol:

aperacer
10-11-2008, 09:31 AM
i have a beard that is like a wire brush.. fusion blades last about three shaves. i am willing to try anything at this point. this shit is to expensive

Timido
10-11-2008, 09:57 AM
The Merkur razor I bought was about $35 The blades were like $1.50 for a pack of 10 at walmart. The brushs can get expensive. I bought my stuff at http://www.leesrazors.com/

PaulFiveOh
10-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Anyway, I can use a single mach 3 blade for right around a month before I need to throw it out now. I have a very coarse beard too, so I'm saving a ton.

Are you kidding?!?

I go a week and have to change mine. I shave every other day.

I usually throw it out when the lube strip turns white. I am def going to try your method.

IWRBB
10-11-2008, 11:35 AM
I've been using the Bic Comfort 3 Advance disposables. It's cheaper than buying cartridges, and it's pretty much the same thing as the Sensors and Machs. I just got a Mach III disposable in the mail the other day as a free trial, so I guess those are out there too. I used to use a Sensor and the Walgreens generic cartridge refills, they worked as well as the brand name refills and were way cheaper.

Rick93coupe
10-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Yeah I'm not kidding at all. Dry the blade for about 30 seconds, turn it over and hit the other side of it. It will absolutely last a long time. I shave every other day too, and that includes my head. You'll be impressed.

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Darn . . . I thought the thread title might be some crazy Merkur XR4TI/Sierra Cossie machine!! :lol:

That's what caught my attention but i realized what it was from searching ebay for Merkur stuff and finding razors.

fst 5pto
10-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Be careful when you start out. Completely different than using regular razors. I tried the switch and I think I have failed lol....