PDA

View Full Version : Teenagers and cell phones

Steves LX
10-12-2008, 10:08 PM
O.K. maybe it's just me but I have a 18 yo son that owns a cell phone. He has a 20 yo gf that does as well. These two people get on my nerves everytime their together. They sit on the couch right next to each other and send text to one another hour after hour. This is their way of argueing with each other. Maybe I am just irritated this evening. Hell I don't know. But I just blew the hell up on both their asses and said if you can't use your damn mouths to argue or talk to one another then get the hell out of my house. I am sick of it. Every 30 seconds the phone opens and then slams shut. WTF is wrong with kids now days. Grow the hell up and sound off like you got a pair dammit.

PaulFiveOh
10-12-2008, 10:10 PM
We communicate via a different medium. Same as when the phone came out, old folks didn't understand it.

Steves LX
10-12-2008, 10:17 PM
I understand the whole phone deal but give me a break. Thats got to be the gayest thing I have ever seen to sit right next to someone and text argue with one another and give dirty looksto each other Before I lost it on both of them I was ready to take both of their phones and destroy them. If you cant go somewher else to be alone to argue then guess what. Your ass doesn't need to be argueing. Kids these days are just ate the fuck up.

PaulFiveOh
10-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Well yea thats insane. Normal folks that age don't do that. I would have LOLd in their face if they did that in front of me.

Steves LX
10-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Well he was normal until he got hooked up with this _______. I 'll be nice and leave it at that. He just can't see the big picture. He think's she's the only, well we will say fish in the sea. Boy the things I could post up about this whole deal that are going thru my head would make me look really bad and heartless so I wont but sadly it's true.

Stangman
10-12-2008, 10:47 PM
He think's she's the only, well we will say WHALE in the sea.

Fixed that for ya... Cuz I know how bad you wanted to really say that!:D:bigthumb:lol:

99Slobra
10-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Its the best way to discuss the dirty things they will do the next time they are alone under the radar.

nskaats
10-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Steve....Best post EVAR! :lol:

I've had girls sit next to me and text me and I always looked at them like "WTF? are you kidding me?"

firestang70
10-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Steve put some Gorilla Glue on their phones. Problem solved.

Stangman
10-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Steve put some Gorilla Glue on their phones. Problem solved.

OH hell yes! Best Idea I've heard EVER!!!!

You're my hero Dale! :bigthumb

PONYGRL
10-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Maybe they will grow out of it? I've grown up 500% since high school with the whole text message thing... I used to text text text and now I couldn't care less about it. I used to literally all the time till I fell asleep at night but I know a lot of people in college still do, and haven't changed. Since college, I dont really care.

Now I realize how meaningless and stupid it is.... ESPECIALLY if you are sitting right next to the person. Only time I have ever done that is when it's been something embarassing or something I didn't want to say aloud, but evenso, it is an extreme rarity.

Hopefully it's just a phase because it shouldn't be ones sole means to communicate. We talk about technology w/ teenagers in my Interpersonal Communication class all the time... if that's the only way you can communicate especially about serious things, sometimes you dont develop proper communication skills.... so hopefully they grow up and learn how to actually talk to each other face-to-face, especially since they are in a relationship and all.

I totally know what you are saying though....as a fellow 20 year old :(

Or Gorilla Glue as a last resort-it works miracles.

Walter
10-13-2008, 11:36 AM
I hate text messaging. I hate watching people text. Its rediculous.

Steves LX
10-13-2008, 11:44 AM
It's just nerve racking and I guess part of it was I wasn't brought up that way and 2nd she is a pain in my ass and always has been. And I know since thats the way it is I am sure she will be my daughter in law soon. Ohh god just shoot me when that happens. She's 20 years old and thinks my son has too be up her big ass 24/7 and the minute he stops the world is coming to an end. The other problem I have with her is the way she dreeses. She's a big girl which I have no problem at all with that. But dont dress like you weigh a 105 LBS soaking wet when in reality you weigh 205 LBS dry and you are only 5'3". And stop wearing your little brothers gym shorts or boy shorts. Everytime she bends over or for that matter just anytime because her clothes are too damn small, all you ever see is crack. Makes me vomit everytime I see it.:barf:

Stangman
10-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Yeah.... It's not fun to look at when I come over for whatever reason....

holeshot
10-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I agree. Text messaging is ridiculous. I text, but only when I need to get or give quick info that doesnt require a 10 minute conversation. It annoys me when people try to have a conversation with me via text messaging. I get fed up with typing that I just say f*ck it and call them...but then they dont answer! Dude...wtf, u just txt me like 5 seconds ago! People are ate up anymore.

The funny thing is when you see a group of HS kids out and all of them have their phones out and are texting.

Stangman
10-13-2008, 12:57 PM
I text most of my day, ONLY because I am at work and don't like to have conversations about crap while I am on the clock, or I'll text a friend who is in the same situation.

but yeah, if I've got the minutes, I'd rather talk. Text has a bad way of not showing personality and can quite often cause someone to give an adverse reaction to something that was said with an alternative meaing...

pegasus
10-13-2008, 03:39 PM
this is how most of my convos go any way..

hey

ok how are you

good whats up

sounds good see you then bye

KobraII
10-13-2008, 08:07 PM
I hate getting a text from someone in the same room as myself. It's just stupid. That's when I yell across the room at them. Shit, whenever I had to talk with my ex, we'd hop in my car, hit the road and talk.

Now I text, a lot. But it usually ends up like this:
"Hey, where you at?"
"The Game Room"
"Gotcha. See you in a few"

DeckerEnt
10-13-2008, 09:47 PM
I mostly text Kevin with coffee? in the morning so we meet at speedway at the same time. Oh and to console Jesse after he hits something in his car. LOL
Keith

PaulFiveOh
10-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Random phone check:

"Text messages since Oc1. 1, 2008
Total Sent/Receive- '7,626'"

12seclx
10-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Random phone check:

:eek:.....:eek:.....:eek:

PaulFiveOh
10-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Thats only 24 text messages an hour, every 24 hours haha.

99Slobra
10-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Random phone check:

lol. I"ll never forget when I was upgrading this 16 year olds phone and I had it off for about 5 minutes before I swapped it and as soon as it powercycled it had 48 texts on it...

I avg like 6000 a month on my personal and a good bit on my work cell.

Ryan218
10-14-2008, 12:20 AM
im a text-a-holic :lol: i was doing it tonight too..but it was because im a super shy guy.... but it worked out :D

but i aggree. whats the point in giving each other looks but texting like that? you could say so much more in that amount of time then in a text.

dedpedal
10-14-2008, 07:12 AM
I use the text feature a bit but it gets annoying when Im driving and get one. Sometimes Ill answer it but mostly, it can wait till I get stopped somewhere.
I DO remember texting a hot chick one night in a bar and she was sitting next to me, but then again, I had beer breath and the band was too loud to talk over.

Stangman
10-14-2008, 08:17 AM
I mostly text Kevin with coffee? in the morning so we meet at speedway at the same time. Oh and to console Jesse after he hits something in his car. LOL
Keith

Yeah.... or bullshit about the coupe, farm party, and guns...

Mista Bone
10-14-2008, 01:44 PM
I know EXACTLY how mant texts I've sent in the past two years.

TWO.

Both were return texts to confirms eBay notification if I was outbid while at work.

Heck it took my two years to figure out how to turn the T9 feature off!!!!!! I do get Amber Alerts via text for free, but any other text I have to pay for.

KobraII
10-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Haha, my dad just started to text here about two weeks ago, since he joined our ATT contract, and we have the family unlimited text deal. He's a riot

Stangman
10-15-2008, 08:41 AM
My dad texts quite well actually, even for someone in their 50's...

Holly
10-15-2008, 09:26 AM
My dad texts quite well actually, even for someone in their 50's...

My mom just turned 77, she texts all the time! My sister and I got her hooked.

I receive/send 10-20 texts a day, usually. If I'm really into a conversation/flirting with someone though, it can go up to 50!

Stangman
10-15-2008, 09:32 AM
it can go up to 50!

That's it? :lol:

End of last year/beginning of this year I think I sent about 250 a day to my now-ex (hell probably more!)

that bitch wouldn't leave me the hell alone!:lol::lol:

I used to average right around 5-6K texts a month at that time.

Holly
10-15-2008, 09:34 AM
That's it? :lol:

Well, that's during work hours. Now weekends are a different story. ;)

Stangman
10-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Well, that's during work hours. Now weekends are a different story. ;)

That was during my work hours! I managed to get away with it quite well!

Just like I'm typing this right now... at work... :lol:

KobraII
10-15-2008, 10:36 AM
I can't find on my iPhone where it tells me how many text's I've sent/received in the past couple of weeks. Oh well, I'll just guestimate somewhere in the hundreds, haha

Mista Bone
10-15-2008, 01:42 PM
not gonna get hooked on texting!!!!!!!!!!

I'll keep my OLD cell phone and not get something with a QWERTY keyboard and internet capabilites.......I'd never get anythin done!

KobraII
10-15-2008, 03:59 PM
not gonna get hooked on texting!!!!!!!!!!

I'll keep my OLD cell phone and not get something with a QWERTY keyboard and internet capabilites.......I'd never get anythin done!

You will get a phone witha QWERTY keyboard and internet. It is your destiny, haha

Stangman
10-15-2008, 04:26 PM
I hate that word... QWERTY... Makes me wanna kill something...

Ryan218
10-15-2008, 05:25 PM
last month was something like 17,xxx texts total..um ha.

Steves LX
10-16-2008, 09:27 AM
17,000 text in a month. Don't people work anymore?

Stangman
10-16-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm at work right now! and so are you! and look what we are doing! :lol:

Steves LX
10-16-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm at work right now! and so are you! and look what we are doing! :lol:

The boss and I have an agreement with Stangbangerz. I can browse as much as I want as long as all my work gets done.

Stangman
10-16-2008, 09:35 AM
The boss and I have an agreement with Stangbangerz. I can browse as much as I want as long as all my work gets done.

Not like there is much going on around there anyway... right?

I don't have an agreement... I just do it... Cuz... well... I don't do jack shit at work. I wish I could keep this job forever!

Ryan218
10-16-2008, 09:59 AM
17,000 text in a month. Don't people work anymore?

yupp. 4 days a week. 3 days this week though. 2pm-11pm today. sometimes i wish my phone didnt have texting. like when im working on the mustang. people want to talk and it takes 3 times as long to get things done.

Stangman
10-16-2008, 10:00 AM
I hear that...

Ryan218
10-16-2008, 10:06 AM
for sure. ive started turning it off while i work on it. then i turn it on and it does nothing but go off for a few mins. like right now. im at school. got my work done so now i surf... :d

KobraII
10-16-2008, 10:12 AM
I'm at school now, so I have an excuse for texting and being on SBZ, haha