PDA

View Full Version : UMTR Class Question? Quick Stick or Street Stick?

331TwistedWedge
10-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Had a great question posed to me from a newbie that ran the street stick event at the umtr ...

if you have 2 steps, tachs with shift lights/shift lights, pro shifted trannies and or face plated trannies ~ why are you allowed in street stick? ...

i had no answer for him? ... i also thought once you had any of the above mentioned, you had to run quick stick?

maybe the 2 classes are divided up by your et's?

331TwistedWedge
10-13-2008, 11:23 PM
ok well maybe you dont need to run quick stick if you have a damn shift light, but i can see his point ...

i guess he seen a disadvantage with not having a 2 step and revving the car by foot (at the line while concentrating on his bulbs) ... i guess he seen a disadvantage shifting a much rougher tranny than most? ... i think he seen a disadvantage using his factory tach without a shift light? ... i guess he had to use his own skill and felt at a disadvantage to others ...

i told him to relax, ive won 2 doing it this way :cool1:

12seclx
10-13-2008, 11:46 PM
There's always gonna be somebody out there with an advantage to another person's eyes...

For instance, I think roll cages make a car more rigid and hook better, etc, if done right...

Or, people may think that cars weighing less than 3,000 lbs. have an advantage over cars weighing 3,300+ .... (in regards to Reaction Time and 60' consistency)....

I personally think all Street Stick cars should be driven to the track and have tailpipes and be read with a decibel meter @ x-amount of rpm from 80 feet away and not be over x-amount of decibels....

But, the more strict they are about people having certain devices or parts on there car, then Tech gets to be a lengthy process... and you might drive away competitors/lose cars...

It's a $20 entry fee, and any ET so you kind of know from the start that anything is possible...

I also think tire size should be limited because I run on little tires but
I like when I go rounds or put someone out that has little advantages like that over me...

RACEME
10-14-2008, 05:19 AM
some rules are a pain to tech. The NMRA used to not allow pro shifted trannys in factory stock, but it was impossible to tech without pulling them apart so they gave up on that.

The bottom line, is that there is always going to be somebody with money and time that will push the rules.

Steves LX
10-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah there's always somebody out there that thinks they are getting the shaft. I mean hell why dont they do a tear down too.:lol:I know now that's a little extreme. But if you dont like the rules then go race somewhere else. Why did my buddy get told he needed a helmet after running a 13.80 in the first time trial but yet there was a guy running quick stick that made it too the 4th round with no roll cage or harness and was dialed in at a 11.37 all night. It is what it is and the only advise I can offer this guy is go buy a 2 step and a shift light for next year. Neither one is that expensive. Unfortunately things in life are not always fair.

nskaats
10-14-2008, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't really consider anyone at a definite advantage or disadvantage in street stick other than the cars that are running street stick with a clutchless transmission.

If I were to make any changes to the rules for Street Stick they would be:
1) Current registration required
2) No clutchless transmissions
3) DOT tires only. DOT approved tires with appropriate tread depth required. No slicks.
4) Mufflers mandatory on all cars

I feel these would level the playing field and keep the Street Stick class for real street cars and could potentially draw a much larger crowd of real street competitors to our organization.

RIXXX93GT
10-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Street stick probably could use a few more "rules". I for one do use a 2 step, rev limiter, shift light. BUt none of these items hinder me from getting in my car loading up the kids and driving to the grocery or Florida for that matter. MOre rules also mean more inspections as in UMTR inspections not track inspections. Clutchless transmissions in street stick......yea that seems to go against the spirit of the category.

86NotchGT
10-14-2008, 12:28 PM
It's bracket racing why do you need rules.

cobrajoe
10-14-2008, 01:09 PM

Amen, took the words right outta my mouth!

nskaats
10-14-2008, 01:34 PM
My goal with the rules would be to keep the class for street cars the way it should be. If nothing else, it's for bragging rights. I would love to see a stick class full of real street cars bangin gears out there. I think it would encourage new racers to participate as well. There are still a LOT of people that don't understand how brackets work and don't want to run because their car is "just a street car" or "isnt' fast enough."

While I do understand how bracket racing works and I've been doing it for a long time, I fully support confining the clutchless transmissions to quick stick. Street stick is an entry level class for everyone to participate in. Average joe off the street doesn't want to run his stock fox on street tires against a built bracket race machine running slicks and a clutchless trans. It's intimidating for people that have never done it before and I feel might discourage some participation.

PonymanfiveO
10-14-2008, 08:18 PM

thank you! :bigthumb

orangecoupe
10-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Nick,

I am all four the pro tree but, Maybe when you spend $2500 in fuel, food, and entry fees to attend all of the UMTR STREET STICK events, instead of a handful of races then you will have more room to complain about the rules.

By the way pro-shifted and face-plated trannys are not clutchless, you are more than welcome to come try mine.

evildriver
10-14-2008, 09:58 PM
I entered the umtr street stick this past weekend and I kinda felt the same way about the faster cars in my class. It felt weird when you see a Fairlane with a cage, slicks and the driver wearing a flame suit and pulling the front wheels or whatever. I didn't feel that is what I would consider a "street" class car. But I also over think ever thing. Thats my two cents

dstehlin
10-14-2008, 10:02 PM
I really like this thread..
This topic has come up many times and most of your suggestions are the same each time this comes up..
The best way I can answer this one is if and when we have the car count to make three classes they would be quick stick, street stick and pure stick or what ever it's called.
With out coming up with a set of rules for pure stick on this thread they would likely be simple but defined rules ie; street tires (dot), current license plates, proof of insurance,no nitrous, no clutchless transmissions ect.
Again these are not the rules and this class does not exist, YET !!!!
If we keep the U.M.T.R. going in the right direction this new class is likely to happen !!!
WHEN ??? Time will tell !!!
I would like to thank every one that became a member this year and ran for points. Please come to the banquet even if you didn't make the top ten or your not a member ..

Dave Stehlin, Director U.M.T.R. South

nskaats
10-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Derek, I've spent far more than that amount in broken parts this year. That, along with my work schedule, is one of the main reasons I couldn't attend the majority of the races. Don't you dare tell me I have no right to give any input. No one here complained about any rules, we simply gave our input.
EDIT: interesting that the two posts made while I was typing mine both support what I've said.

FWIW I also know the difference between a pro-shifted, face-plated, and clutchless trans so spare me the education. I may have accidentally built a trans or two in my time :rolleyes:. Again, my reference was to the clutchless transmissions....not a production based gearbox.

outlaw85
10-14-2008, 10:08 PM
I am also all for the pro-tree! And all I have to say about the rules is 79 cars in street stick saturday that says it all.
As far as the faceplated and proshifted transmissions I can gaurantee you they are not clutchless! Not that it matters anyway the 2008 points champion has a stock T5. One rule I would like to see the UMTR add for 2009 is a end of year points award for anyone in SS or QS that attends all the races scheduled for the year it's alot harder than I thought
it would be!
And as far as a new class maybe it should be the Pro-Tree class?

orangecoupe
10-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Nick, I said I spent $2500 in fuel, food, and entry fees, that did not included the parts I broke as well. I plan on running QUICK STICK next year, maybe both every now and then with a little stronger setup so my car shouldnt be a problem. I do understand about work schedules, I worked every Sunday after every race but the nationals. I understand your schedule may not permit Saturdays off though. I am not saying there shouldn't be another class, but until then I wouldn't change rules other than the tree.

orangecoupe
10-14-2008, 10:33 PM
I also think a points bonus would be good for those who attend all of the races. That is pretty hard to accomplish.

nskaats
10-14-2008, 10:36 PM
No one said they wanted the rules changed. It was simply said that if I were to change anything, those would be my changes. I like things the way they are other than the sportsman tree.

In reality, I think Dave might definitely be onto something by adding another class. Street stick could stay as is, quick stick could be for the cars running clutchless trans or 12.99 and quicker, and a street class could be a DOT street class with no 2-steps etc.

nskaats
10-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Why not a bounty program? Maybe an extra 2 or 3 points, or $20 if you can beat the winner of the previous race and cut a better light. That would make things a little more interesting.

PonymanfiveO
10-14-2008, 10:43 PM
One rule I would like to see the UMTR add for 2009 is a end of year points award for anyone in SS or QS that attends all the races scheduled for the year it's alot harder than I thought
it would be!
And as far as a new class maybe it should be the Pro-Tree class?

I agree with both points here. It took a lot more than most would think to field a car in a street class for an entire season. Eleven races is a lot!!!

Dave, put together a pro-tree street class it will be a hit!!!!
If you build it, they will come. :D

mustangjon
10-14-2008, 10:47 PM
i dont even race, and honestly dont know the rules in umtr, but i have been pondering putting a 5 speed in the lincoln so i "have a class" i can run in, since i cant run in any mustang classes, i wouldnt be able to compete in points prolly only make a few events a year at best, being a single father working the hours i do, but I think the most feasible example i have heard was a true street class. Yes i know its bracket racing, so the quickest et's dont matter. But the added electronics to help launch do help keep things consistent. Same reason they allow transbrakes in some racing and footbrake others. So maybe my opinion doesnt mean anything, but i think new people to come in and race, definatly see a fear going down the track against a 12 sec car when they are a 14, or 15. It can be intimidating. anyhow just my 2 cents worth. Maybe you'll see me out there with the land yacht next year, depends on this whole tranny issue with my aod lol.

331TwistedWedge
10-14-2008, 11:01 PM
for you guys to say its bracket racing, so why have rules ... well having certain things on your car (ie) bigger slicks, 2 steps, pro shifted / face plated trannies ~ those help you stay consistant ... what is bracket racing, its consistancy ...

i guess if you invest in flame suits, roll cages, big slicks, pro shifted / face plated trannies, weather stations and other electronics ~ you need to be in quick stick anyway ...

drop $50 and race for the BIG $$$$ ... one of my personal goals next year, win a quick stick event!

cobrajoe
10-15-2008, 12:31 AM
wow just wow!:rolleyes:

Mista Bone
10-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Jon, there was a 86 Cutlass there, 307 with a 5 speed tranny swapped in on street tires.

I hadn't seen Tom for about 17 years, he's still a trip!

ponymom05
10-15-2008, 06:24 AM
I don't see how you can say bracket racing is intimidating. I have run 13, 14 and 15 second cars (I have no driving skills, obviously). It doesn't matter how fast of a car you run against in brackets, that's part of the thrill of either chasing them down or being chased. Hell, I beat the Farmer with my stock '88, he in his brand new Shelby. That was some good harassing for a few weeks!! Put your purses down boys and stop trying to analyze it all. Just get out there and do it. You'll have a good time!

cobrajoe
10-15-2008, 08:27 AM
"That guy has his sway bar disconnected and drag radials and a shift light and a two step, He should be in the Drag Radial Shift Light Two Step Sway Bar Disconnected Tinted Window Class!!!!":lol:

JFWY's

Steves LX
10-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Yeah Cathy I couldn't agree more with you. It shouldn't be intimidating. Chasing or being chased is part of the fun. Hell Curt's final round was against some old guy in a turbo charged neon. That guy was data logging with his lap top and even had electronic numbers for his dial in. He beat Curt across the finish but he broke out and Curt ran his # on the spot. Now other than a 2 step and slicks that's all that Curt has as far as being consistent. O.K. he does have a beefed up tranny but it's nothing more that a hyped up T5 with a 26 spline input shaft. Like I said earlier there's always going to be that one guy that feels he's being cheated. Not UMTR related but last year at powerfest(bracket racing) I had nothing more than a stock 302 with E7 heads and Nitto DR's. I had no 2 step or nothing. I ran in the street bash and managed to make the final 6 out of 72 cars. I also ran at edgewater this past Friday night with a broken shifter arm and no 2 step and ran two 12.70's @108MPH and 2 11.89's@ 118MPH back to back. Shannon, Dave,and many others will back me up on this as well. So as far as 2 steps go they aren't all that.

Steves LX
10-15-2008, 09:44 AM
I also say pro tree for all the UMTR events next year.

ponymom05
10-15-2008, 10:27 AM
"That guy has his sway bar disconnected and drag radials and a shift light and a two step, He should be in the Drag Radial Shift Light Two Step Sway Bar Disconnected Tinted Window Class!!!!":lol:

JFWY's

Hey, I could run that class! Awesome!

12seclx
10-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Yeah Cathy I couldn't agree more with you. It shouldn't be intimidating. Chasing or being chased is part of the fun. Hell Curt's final round was against some old guy in a turbo charged neon. That guy was data logging with his lap top and even had electronic numbers for his dial in. He beat Curt across the finish but he broke out and Curt ran his # on the spot.

Yeah, even the sun shines on a dog's ass some days....;)

I got real lucky.... I credit my win to ponymom's cookies! :cool2:

Without them, I would've fell asleep....

KenB
10-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Too many rules have ruined every type of racing. Leave it alone except the pro tree.

There will always be whiners on why others have the advantage and no matter what you do with the rules, you will not get rid of the whiners.

Ken

12seclx
10-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Too many rules have ruined every type of racing. Leave it alone except the pro tree.

There will always be whiners on why others have the advantage and no matter what you do with the rules, you will not get rid of the whiners.

Ken

:agree:

nskaats
10-15-2008, 12:09 PM

Ken

Very true. I still don't see a real hardcore advantage to anyone in any class, brackets are all about the driver. I would just love to gain more membership and participation. Whether it's by turning our class into a true street class or creating another one for them, I think we could lure in some newcomers to the UMTR racing. More racers means more fun for us, more races, more sponsors, and better payouts. It's better for everyone!

Naturally the pro tree is a favorite among racers and spectators. Hopefully we'll get it next year.

jlt2006
10-15-2008, 12:14 PM

Ken

Most of those guys are ricers

cobrajoe
10-15-2008, 12:36 PM

Ken

:agree:

Stangman
10-15-2008, 12:49 PM
I can't wait to race something in the next year or two. It's killing me not to line up at the tree next to Steve or Curt!!!

My shit won't be fast, but I'm not to gawd-awful bad of a driver!

And as for rules... Shit, I'll just be there to have a good time and hope I don't break!

Mista Bone
10-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Most of those guys are ricers

Glad I'm not a ricer :)

:popcorn:

I wanna take on the Neon driver.

12seclx
10-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Glad I'm not a ricer :)

:popcorn:

I wanna take on the Neon driver.

The neon driver is 50% intimidating/hype factor..
50% skill.. my .02....

12seclx
10-15-2008, 02:53 PM
I can't wait to race something in the next year or two. It's killing me not to line up at the tree next to Steve or Curt!!!

May I suggest you refrain from doing that... Unless, of course, you don't mind spectating the rest of the night.... :cool1:

Just kiddin! :D

ponymom05
10-15-2008, 03:23 PM
May I suggest you refrain from doing that... Unless, of course, you don't mind spectating the rest of the night.... :cool1:

Oh, good one Curt!! Too funny! You gotta' love the end of season banter.

firestang70
10-15-2008, 03:42 PM
I hope to run many UMTR events next season. I vote Pro Tree. Hopefully with the help of some friends (hint hint) we can get my car dialed into the 11s.

Stangman
10-15-2008, 03:50 PM

Oh you just wait buddy! I'll have one for you soon enough... might not have a stick shift trans in it but it might just hang with that lil red coupe of yours... and it's a coupe too!

It'll have 11:1 compression, 110 leaded gas... and without taking the heads off! :evilgrin:

KenB
10-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Oh, and the last time I checked a guy who tunes the car himself and has nothing exotic on the car won 2 of the 3 races he showed up for. One being a race where 80 cars showed up.

sprayn93coupe
10-15-2008, 08:27 PM
I vote for pro tree and I have a stock T5 and I launch off of my high limiter with 26x8.5 nothin fancy thats why I run with ss rather than qs.

sprayn93coupe
10-15-2008, 08:33 PM
I agree with bonus points for making all the races which I did not, but I think that would improve car counts at Indy, Clay City,etc.

RIXXX93GT
10-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Yea, Indy and Clay City car count were way low. It was cool racing on the same strip that hosts the biggest race of all though wasnt it guys!

331TwistedWedge
10-16-2008, 12:00 AM
i started the thread to see if anyone knew the difference between street stick and quick stick ... nobody has answered it ...

as far as rules, you must have something to obey ~ if not, you might as well let automatics into the field ...

like i said before, if you have the flame suits, two steps, roll cages, pro shifted/face plated trannies, log books, weather stations, fats/skinnies, shift lights and etc ~ you should step it up and run quick stick ...

331TwistedWedge
10-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Oh, and the last time I checked a guy who tunes the car himself and has nothing exotic on the car won 2 of the 3 races he showed up for. One being a race where 80 cars showed up.

:lol: he has a little more than you guys think ...

KenB
10-16-2008, 12:04 AM
i started the thread to see if anyone knew the difference between street stick and quick stick ... nobody has answered it ...

as far as rules, you must have something to obey ~ if not, you might as well let automatics into the field ...

like i said before, if you have the flame suits, two steps, roll cages, pro shifted/face plated trannies, log books, weather stations, fats/skinnies, shift lights and etc ~ you should step it up and run quick stick ...

Ok, I'll answer it. You have to run quicker than 12.9 to run quick stick. That's the difference. Hence the 'quick' part of the title.

So, log books and shift lights should be illegal in street stick? lol, you're killing me.

331TwistedWedge
10-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Ok, I'll answer it. You have to run quicker than 12.9 to run quick stick. That's the difference. Hence the 'quick' part of the title.

So, log books and shift lights should be illegal in street stick? lol, you're killing me.

lmao, come on man ~ let me raz the crowd a little ...

logs books should be illegal :lol: :bigthumb

im still cracking up over the flame suits :lol:

12seclx
10-16-2008, 12:41 AM
:lol: he has a little more than you guys think ...

Yeah, a $600 junkyard motor has a special light-weight rotating assembly... Ford only did this in 1999... ;)

And the 1990 model year has special bracing to make sixty foot times more consistent... :lol:

Mista Bone
10-16-2008, 03:09 AM
The neon driver is 50% intimidating/hype factor..
50% skill.. my .02....

When I would T&T about every weekend in my old HB, I could run the number and cut a good light. Last time in 2005 I could run the number....but damn my RT's SUCKED. Mind you I was using a different flywheel/slick combo than normal that effected the hook.

20x6x14 MT's with a 18 pound flywheel would just smack the slicks too hard, the old combo that worked, 20x8x14 with 15 pound flywheel was deadly consistant.

I wanted two years ago to get an Import/FWD class going....to get the Neon off your backs, but also to race him. But the local FWD folk showed little interest they are only worried about trap speeds, which requires very little skill.

1000+ passes in to old Honda, starting something new this winter. Planning for 13.6-13.9 on motor street legal/driveable.

I do have ONE question though, .500 Pro Tree, no need to delay, just react when you see yellow right????

cobrajoe
10-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Log books and lights... illegal for s/s? You've got to be kidding me. :rolleyes:

slvr87cpe
10-16-2008, 12:31 PM
hell if they are going to inforce a lot of rules you might as well just build a class car and run nmra for some real $$$:bigthumb

RACEME
10-16-2008, 01:38 PM
I do have ONE question though, .500 Pro Tree, no need to delay, just react when you see yellow right????

.500 is still easy to light ol redeye. the .400 tree is where it is at.

Mista Bone
10-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Maybe an advantage with a slower FWD car?

.500 tree and I would be less likely to need Visine.....maybe.

Steves LX
10-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Alright Curt spill the beans to everyone. Let 'em know how you have your Duralast flux capacitor from Auto Zone wired up to make the car go faster and be consistent. And why your at it I guess you better get rid of your kanuter valve. Now we all know why you wont get rid of your tail pipes either. You wont be able to use your turbo whistler you have in your right side tail pipe from Pep Boys. I think people are on to you now.:lol::lol:

Stangman
10-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Dont forget the discombobulator, the thingamajig, the whatchyamacallit, and the whosamawhatsit!! :bigthumb

nskaats
10-16-2008, 03:29 PM
You guys are clueless...everyone knows he's running carbon fiber muffler bearings! :rolleyes:

Steves LX
10-16-2008, 03:45 PM
You guys are clueless...everyone knows he's running carbon fiber muffler bearings! :rolleyes:

No he had to remove those. When he went thru tech they caught those and said those are outlawed and not allowed.:lol:

nskaats
10-16-2008, 03:47 PM
:lol:

Hopefully they don't catch onto the high octane blinker fluid.

atbracn
10-16-2008, 03:57 PM
i have a question, who says a proshifted or faceplated trans is not streetable? It's a little difficult but can be done. As far as being intimidating by being the slower car, that is why they call it bracket racing.If you want to be with cars that run 13 or 14's just run bracket 3. all this about being a street car with roll cage,shift lights and 2 steps is just going to who or what makes a street car. this is the same thing as the dirty dozen, somebody in any class is going to bend the rules a little or complain.It is still BRACKET RACING!!!!!!!!!!!

i ran a turbo car with a stock tko but it did have a shift light,roll cage and et streets and i drove it everyday (till i blew it up) to me that is street car that went in the 10's and i still won killkare. that is bracket racing. If i pissed anybody off that is not my intentions just giving my .2 cents.:D

nskaats
10-16-2008, 04:10 PM
atbracn, no one is questioning the streetability of proshifted or faceplated transmissions. The discussion for a street class is based more around having street legal equipment, such as DOT tires and current registration.

IMHO anything that runs on pump gas, has a license plate and DOT tires is a street car.

12seclx
10-16-2008, 04:27 PM
the gun drilled axles, spool, afco $800 double adjustable shocks, and no 5th gear in the trans are the big secrets...

:evilgrin:.....................:pump:

Stangman
10-16-2008, 04:35 PM
No 5th gear?

cobrajoe
10-16-2008, 04:39 PM
the gun drilled axles, spool, afco $800 double adjustable shocks, and no 5th gear in the trans are the big secrets...

:evilgrin:.....................:pump:

Hey damnit that was a trade secret!!!:mad:

12seclx
10-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Hey damnit that was a trade secret!!!:mad:

:lol: ... Now Jesse knows.. 2009 will be the year he debuts the coupe and beats us down with the "BRUNO" big block... :bigthumb

orangecoupe
10-16-2008, 07:22 PM
i have a question, who says a proshifted or faceplated trans is not streetable? It's a little difficult but can be done. As far as being intimidating by being the slower car, that is why they call it bracket racing.If you want to be with cars that run 13 or 14's just run bracket 3. all this about being a street car with roll cage,shift lights and 2 steps is just going to who or what makes a street car. this is the same thing as the dirty dozen, somebody in any class is going to bend the rules a little or complain.It is still BRACKET RACING!!!!!!!!!!!

i ran a turbo car with a stock tko but it did have a shift light,roll cage and et streets and i drove it everyday (till i blew it up) to me that is street car that went in the 10's and i still won killkare. that is bracket racing. If i pissed anybody off that is not my intentions just giving my .2 cents.:D

Brad,
I agree with you. Sorry I made my car fast enough to require a fire jacket and intimidated people. I quess over the winter I will go to my local junkyard and make my car stock so it will be legal next year.:chicken::chicken:

I am done wasting my time with the IDIOTS!:flipoff::flipoff:

nskaats
10-16-2008, 08:08 PM
I think you guys might be misunderstanding the point that Rick and some of the newer racers are trying to make. While many of us have been doing this for years and we know how brackets work, I think the point is that it's intimidating to some people that have never raced before.

If they're going to be called idiots for never having raced before, they probably wont want to be a part of the UMTR and it will slowly die off.

RIXXX93GT
10-16-2008, 08:49 PM
How many Ricks are in here?

nskaats
10-16-2008, 08:56 PM
I was talkin about 331twistedwedge.

Maximus
10-16-2008, 09:26 PM
The rules are quite simple.

Pay $20 and run Street Stick. One rule, You have to leave the line with a clutch.

OR

Pay $50 and run Quick Stick. Which has two rules, Run faster than 12.49 and leave the line with a clutch.

If you need more rules, go run NMRA. They have ALL kinds of rules.:)

mustangjon
10-16-2008, 09:30 PM
i'm not saying it intimidates me, but to someone looking to get into drag racing into a series of some sort, a more "mild class" would be more appealing. Hell if i do the swap and could get the car into 12's i would run qs wouldnt matter to me, im going to be doing it for fun. I'm just trying to help to the more veteran people as nick stated see the "outsider's" view. If you dont want new people to racing and just want to draw only current racers then i see no issue with few rules. But is really a very basic entry level class going to hurt any of you that run currently? no because your going to stay running in your current class, and not drop down. I dont think i have honestly seen too many whining posts in here, not sure about at any meetings ect, but just trying to state thoughts that might make the series more interesting across the board for people to join. Alot of newcomers "younger crowd" dont have a clue about bracket racing, they think who gets to end first wins simple as that. Could always have the winners of each class race each night race for bonus points too, to prove that any class can win.

MFIELD
10-16-2008, 10:17 PM
I would like to know how many first timers there was this season. I for one was, I have never raced anything more than test and tune. I was plenty fast enough to run quick stick but felt like I needed to start in an entry level class. If $20 isnt entry level I dont know what is, and if anyone comes out and races they will soon see that UMTR racers are great people and easy to get olong with and help each other. I am not a outgoing person and met alot of guys and girls that were always nice and amde you feel like you belonged. I think we have enough rules, as for the tree I dont really care if its pro or sportsman, pay attention to what your doing and there shouldnt be redlights.

cobrajoe
10-16-2008, 10:37 PM

Pay $20 and run Street Stick. One rule, You have to leave the line with a clutch.

OR

Pay $50 and run Quick Stick. Which has two rules, Run faster than 12.49 and leave the line with a clutch.

well said.:bigthumb

sprayn93coupe
10-16-2008, 11:11 PM
79 cars dont change it thats good car count however I still think the fans like the pro tree as do most of the racers, But since it seems that some folks are concerned more with street cars I think we should do away with the tree all together and leave on an arm drop, shift by sound only, 205/50/15 max rear tire, T-shirt only (no fire proof jackets) pants optional, and must have 5th gear (4-speeds are illegal). In the words of a great women named Nell Carter GIVE ME A BREAK. 79 cars, $20 nothing else matters have fun race!

KenB
10-16-2008, 11:34 PM
You guys are so off base you don't even realize it. You are trying to add rules to help attract people? WRONG! No rules bracket racing (other than the stick) is what makes UMTR what it is. Once you start adding rules you start excluding people. Considering there were 79 street stick cars and the winner had a car that is about as street as you can get, leave it alone.

atbracn
10-16-2008, 11:49 PM
You guys are so off base you don't even realize it. You are trying to add rules to help attract people? WRONG! No rules bracket racing (other than the stick) is what makes UMTR what it is. Once you start adding rules you start excluding people. Considering there were 79 street stick cars and the winner had a car that is about as street as you can get, leave it alone.

well said ken!!!!

jason that was some funny shit!!!!

Maximus
10-17-2008, 09:40 AM

OR

Kris & Dave would be CRAZY to add rules or another class. Its pretty simple the way it is. :bigthumb

Stangman
10-17-2008, 09:54 AM
:lol: ... Now Jesse knows.. 2009 will be the year he debuts the coupe and beats us down with the "BRUNO" big block... :bigthumb

nope... not anymore... not after the parts got stolen for the BB swap... Now I guess I'll just have to do a carb'd 351W and a 5-speed for now...

But one day... the Big Block will come out and play... and with a 5-speed! :evilgrin:

orangecoupe
10-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Well put Ken and Craig. Keep it simple.

nskaats
10-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Looks like the majority want to keep the same 2 classes. I'm going to be running Street Stick regardless of what happens so it really doesn't matter to me. We just need to find another way to get more newbies out of the stands and onto the track!

Mista Bone
10-17-2008, 02:27 PM
12.99 and faster for Quick Stick......

95redstang
10-18-2008, 12:47 AM
I'm pretty sure he wasn't asking for any rule changes. He was just asking a question and there has been no clear answer. All I have seen is a bunch of smart ass commments. What is the difference between the two classes besides the 12.99 or whatever it is?

stkshkr
10-18-2008, 02:19 AM
Other than running 12.99 or faster and paying $50, there are no other requirements to run QS. Of course you must meet NHRA safety rules for your appropriate ET

gt4tb
10-18-2008, 12:21 PM
I've been following this thread. There are some good ideas here that we may be able to put into action.
95redstang made an excellent point when he said there is no clear answer to all of the debate.
nskaats said "We just need to find another way to get more newbies out of the stands and onto the track!"
KenB hit the nail on the head with "You are trying to add rules to help attract people? WRONG! No rules bracket racing (other than the stick) is what makes UMTR what it is. Once you start adding rules you start excluding people."
The bottom line is that we can't make everyone happy. I think I'm coming to realize more and more that "Street Stick" is just not named right. The name implies that the car has to be street legal, when the purpose of the class is to be open to everyone who wants to race their stick shift car. Keep in mind that the more cars we have the better the payout. Heck Test-n-Tune costs $15.00 on Friday night, why not plunk down a few dollars more on Saturday, really test your skills and go for the chance to win back at least your entry fee.

There has been talk in this thread about cars with high tech transmissions, tricked out suspensions, roll bars, etc (Quick Stick cars) running in Street Stick and intimidating the less experienced driver or the car with fewer gadgets. Everyone knows that in bracket racing anyone can lose, red lights, wheel spin, missed shift, break-out or just plain getting beat. Ask any of the top points leaders in both classes of the past six years. As far as the SS Nats, a lot of those guys drove a very long way to race with UMTR, I truly can't blame them for running both classes.

I'll sign off now! Don't forget the banquet on November 15th, details on the UMTR homepage (www.umtrdragrace.com). A couple does not have to be a guy and a girl! You don't have to be a member or in the top ten in points. We don't care, just make your reservation with payment by next Saturday, Oct 25th! We have the awards for the points leaders, door prizes and more!
Tina

sprayn93coupe
10-18-2008, 03:42 PM
As far as my comments being considered smart ass, I thought it was a smart ass question. I thought these folks had run the class before and knew the rules. I ask that my comments be ignored.

Also big thanks to Tina,Dave, and Kris for doing a great job all year.

nskaats
10-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Jason, I have been running the UMTR for a while and I know the rules very well. I like Street Stick the way it is and plan to continue running, however I am looking for a way to encourage new membership. The reason I proposed a new class for more street oriented cars was that when I ask people to try it the most common response is that their car is just a street car. I'm having a hard time convincing new people that really don't understand bracket racing and don't understand that it's not about how fast your car is. If you have a better idea of how to attract more people I'm all ears.

Nationals is a great example of what we would all like the car count to be, but it's not a fair representation of an average race. We all know we don't get that kind of car count on a regular basis. I know we would like to, and that's what I'm shooting for.

Mista Bone
10-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Ive tried getting some of the FWD guys to enter........they always say bracket racing is gay....they are clueless!

IMHO $12 to get in to watch on a Saturday, for $8 more you get 4 passes unless the car count is high like the SS Nats where you only got two time runs and atleast one round of elims.