PDA

View Full Version : Is the AOD electronic?

Motorvation
10-17-2008, 01:48 AM
I have an AOD that came with a motor and no computer. My question is do I need the computer for the AOD to shift right? I believe it's out of an 85 Crown Vic. I'm only considering the auto if it gets it up and running faster and cheaper. I'll have to check the drive shaft stuff too. I'm sure it will be a wash. Problem is the car is set up for manual trans, and all the clutch and adapters will cost a small fortune.

k062693w
10-17-2008, 08:05 AM
The AOD is not electronic... It does however require the TV cable to be hooked up properly.. Are you leaving the motor FI, or are you going Carb'd ???

Motorvation
10-20-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm going carb'd for now, but the future plans are for FI. I just want to get it up and running for now. I love the car, but it's #2 as far as the project list goes. I'm trying to get it driving again as cheap as possible, then when my Camaro is done, I can get it going. Once I'm ready for the drivetrain I have a 351W I'd like to put some injection on and stuff in.

89notch
10-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Just make sure you dont even start it without the TV cable hooked up and adjusted or it will destory the tranny in no time.

Motorvation
10-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Just make sure you dont even start it without the TV cable hooked up and adjusted or it will destory the tranny in no time.

Don't you have to have it running to set the adjustment?

mustang8998
10-21-2008, 06:39 PM
No, it needs to be adjusted first.

http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm

If you Google "Ford tv cable adjustment", you'll find all kinds of links, including videos.

k062693w
10-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Yes you need to have the engine running to adjust it properly!!!! You need the engine running to check the pressure..There are multiple sites out there that walk you through it.. Hell they told me I couldn't use a stock TV cable with a carburator, But guess what cable I'm using ???