PDA

View Full Version : Thornhill

93lincolnmk8
10-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Went to thornhill last night for my first time running down the quarter mile and had a blast! Just wondering if anyone else went down?

nskaats
10-19-2008, 06:26 PM
I went down there with my guys last night. Tracey had the wife's pewter 2000 Z28 that killed a set of ARP wheels studs, Kevin had the navy blue 99 Z28, and I was running my sunset orange 01 Formula that wouldn't shift (fuckin PCM and tranny don't like eachother). The wifey took her red 94 Z down but we didn't run it.

It wasn't a bad night at all, I had a blast. Even with the trans not shifting into 3rd gear I managed a 12.23 and a new best 1.592 second 60' time. Not bad for a fat ass F-body with a stock engine.

93lincolnmk8
10-19-2008, 07:47 PM
I thought I recognized that firebird from somewhere. I had the blue 88 GT. I was suprised at how well it ran considering that I just got done putting it together at 4 am yesterday morning. My best was a 12.7 when I was running against you. Running those times im suprised that you didnt beat me in that run.

Dirtyd0g
10-19-2008, 08:05 PM
I guess it will be spring before I get back down there again. My motor went at the shootout. You should really bring the markVIII to the SC shootout next year.

nskaats
10-19-2008, 08:14 PM
I thought I recognized that firebird from somewhere. I had the blue 88 GT. I was suprised at how well it ran considering that I just got done putting it together at 4 am yesterday morning. My best was a 12.7 when I was running against you. Running those times im suprised that you didnt beat me in that run.

When I saw the car I was wondering if you were on SBZ. I didn't know if anyone else here was going to run down there for the T&T.

That pass had a 2.02 second 60' that didn't help out and the thing would NOT shift into 3rd at all; bangin off the rev limiter in 2nd and tried to pedal it with no luck so I forced it into 4th. That 12.93 was the slowest pass of the night. Hopefully we can get that thing to shift right within the next week or so, I would like to grab that 11 second slip by the end of this season.

93lincolnmk8
10-19-2008, 08:14 PM
I guess it will be srping before I get back down there again. My motor went at the shootout. You should really bring the markVIII to the SC shootout next year.

Trans in the markVIII went out shortly after I bought it and I havent gotten around to putting a new one in it yet. It would really be nice to find a manual to put in it and wake it up a little!

93lincolnmk8
10-19-2008, 08:19 PM
When I saw the car I was wondering if you were on SBZ. I didn't know if anyone else here was going to run down there for the T&T.

That pass had a 2.02 second 60' that didn't help out and the thing would NOT shift into 3rd at all; bangin off the rev limiter in 2nd and tried to pedal it with no luck and then forced it into 4th. That 12.93 was the slowest pass of the night. Hopefully we can get that thing to shift right within the next week or so, I would like to grab that 11 second slip by the end of this season.

I didnt know if I was going to make it because it came down to the last minute getting that car together. I didnt even have time to clean it!

I am going to run my slicks next week and try to get into the low 12s. I was running some BFG drag radials and they would not hook up at all for me. Also I think next weekend is it for thornhill but I could be wrong.

Dirtyd0g
10-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Trans in the markVIII went out shortly after I bought it and I havent gotten around to putting a new one in it yet. It would really be nice to find a manual to put in it and wake it up a little!

You know that is my specialty don't you? mn-12 and fn-10 transmissions. If you want to see some of my work stop over and check out the 97 LSC I have on the lift right now. I just rebuilt the trans and converter (yes I built the converter too) replaced all the bushing with the poly stuff from SCP. Shock and spring conversion kit,subframe braces,3.73 T-lock rear,kooks headers and a few other things.
Alan

Stangman
10-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Matt, You finally have a car worthy of putting in your sig! :lol:

but seriously, I was as stoked as you were when you got it together the night before and ran it and came out with some good times for stock suspension! :eek:

That car oughta do DEEP 12's on motor :bigthumb

93lincolnmk8
10-19-2008, 08:27 PM
You know that is my specialty don't you? mn-12 and fn-10 transmissions. If you want to see some of my work stop over and check out the 97 LSC I have on the lift right now. I just rebuilt the trans and converter (yes I built the converter too) replaced all the bushing with the poly stuff from SCP. Shock and spring conversion kit,subframe braces,3.73 T-lock rear,kooks headers and a few other things.
Alan

If I end up sticking with the auto in it I will definitely be giving you a call. A built converter dosent sound like a bad idea either. While were on the subject I also need a front pump and possible install for the C4 in my small block ranger. I will be pulling the tranny out of it this week.

nskaats
10-19-2008, 08:32 PM
I was running some BFG drag radials and they would not hook up at all for me. Also I think next weekend is it for thornhill but I could be wrong.

BFG radials = :barf:

I've tried a shit ton of tires and I've never had anything better than my Mickey's, both the radial and bias ply tires rock. I was on my ET Street Radials last night and managed a 1.59 60' time. Most of my 60' times were in the low 1.60 range. I had a couple that were pretty suck, but it looked and felt like there was liquid of some kind on the track.

You are correct, next weekend will be the last of the season for Thorn Hill.

93lincolnmk8
10-19-2008, 08:41 PM
BFG radials = :barf:

I've tried a shit ton of tires and I've never had anything better than my Mickey's, both the radial and bias ply tires rock. I was on my ET Street Radials last night and managed a 1.59 60' time. Most of my 60' times were in the low 1.60 range. I had a couple that were pretty suck, but it looked and felt like there was liquid of some kind on the track.

You are correct, next weekend will be the last of the season for Thorn Hill.

It seemed like the tower lane was hooking alot better for me than the other lane. Next week im running some Hoosier quick time pro's so hopefully I can actually hook up. That and I replaced my coil today because it was cutting out bad at 5000 rpm's and it feels like it has alot more top ens now so I cant wait!

nskaats
10-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Tower lane was DEFINITELY hooking better last night. The two runs I made in the left lane were throw-away runs.

93lincolnmk8
10-19-2008, 09:07 PM
I was trying to get tower lane every chance that I could because I couldnt do anything with the other lane.

93lincolnmk8
10-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Probably a stupid question but how do you tell what your final speed was?

nskaats
10-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Well...you don't. No one knows trap speed because the computer wasn't reading it correctly. I was data logging all my passes and I know mine was doing 111-112 MPH through the traps, which is low but with the tranny fucked up I'm amazed it even broke 100 MPH.

93lincolnmk8
10-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Think they will have it fixed by next weekend?

nskaats
10-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Last race of the year? I doubt it but I'm not sure. Gerry is pretty good about fixing things down there, we'll see what happens.

93lincolnmk8
10-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Im definitely going back next weekend so it would be nice if they did but either way im still gonna run.

nskaats
10-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Give it hell. I might make it down in one of the cars to run bracket II in the 1/8. I went 7.69 in the 1/8 last night, exactly 0.1 better than my previous best.

93lincolnmk8
10-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Are they running another test and tune or is it just brackets next weekend?

nskaats
10-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Just brackets. They normally don't T&T, only run brackets. Gerry wanted a T&T this weekend because there were other big races going on, like Clay City, so he knew most of the regulars wouldn't show.

93lincolnmk8
10-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Guess that im just going to have to walk in blind with the slicks since I have never ran them. Should be interesting!

Waffles
10-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Went to thornhill last night for my first time running down the quarter mile and had a blast! Just wondering if anyone else went down?

Hey, I was there. We talked but I guess I didn't introduce myself. I was the big guy with the red bandana talking to you in the staging lanes.

Think they will have it fixed by next weekend?

Last race of the year? I doubt it but I'm not sure. Gerry is pretty good about fixing things down there, we'll see what happens.

Well...you don't. No one knows trap speed because the computer wasn't reading it correctly. I was data logging all my passes and I know mine was doing 111-112 MPH through the traps, which is low but with the tranny fucked up I'm amazed it even broke 100 MPH.

Evidently the when the system was struck by lightening a while back the 1/4 mile speed trap sensors didn't get repaired. I had a good conversation with Jerry last night about getting started on improvements and some big changes for next season. This was one of the list of things we talked about. One of the other things you might have noticed was that the old gaurd rail was pulled up next to the left lane. The gound has also been cut down below grade to aid in draining the track, and keeping the freezing weather from heaving the track surface. I'll let you all know other plans as they solidify.

As far as test-n-tunes, Jerry has been letting people pay an additional $5 to run their cars between rounds and in the case the racing finishes up early.

Steves LX
10-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Hey Matt if you were running 12.70's with 2 second 60's and spinning off the line your MPH was probably around 108-110MPH if I had to guess.

93lincolnmk8
10-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey Matt if you were running 12.70's with 2 second 60's and spinning off the line your MPH was probably around 108-110MPH if I had to guess.

Thanks Steve :bigthumb And yeah my 60ft was 2.123

Hrod382
10-29-2008, 12:02 AM
The left lane is junk to be honest, I put mine on the throttle stop instead of running out there. I made one pass in that lane since our car has been hooking hard and knew it was going to be bad, most out of shape I've ever been. Shot straight left and kicked up tons of dust. Plus the cars move around a lot about 200 ft. on in that lane. Even in dragsters the car skates the whole way down and you're about .025 slower. I have buddies in 12/13 second cars that actually have better luck out there (on slicks), just depends really.

Now the tower lane works, at 320 ft there's a chunk in the track from my subframe landing :bigthumb and the only reason it even came down was because it ran out of fuel pressure. I've had probably 20+ 60 ft's in the last month in the right lane that were 1.39 or better on the back tires, the stupid wheelie was a 1.385 on the back tires and I never have to move the wheel at all so the tower lane works.