PDA

View Full Version : PI Swap?

gt4tb
10-25-2008, 06:29 PM
I am going to look at the car in the F.S. section that is supposed have the PI swap done. I was wondering if there is a way to tell externally if does have the PI heads or not?

FMGT1999
10-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Look for the PI stamp on the head. You might need a flash light and mirror.

Kyle

recklessop
10-28-2008, 08:47 AM
some other ways you could check is the intake.... (if they put a pi intake on it too) Non PI cars have a gap between the bottom of the intake and the valley of the motor. PI intakes go all the way to the bottom of the valley. so if you look in beside the alternator and it looks like the intake is almost touching the block... its got a PI intake on it. i have heard of some people putting pi intakes on without the heads.... so obviously this isnt a perfect way to tell but most people who spent the money on the heads get the intake too.

may check to see if it has the windsor heads on it too, because all of the 96-98 motors are romeo motors (i think) so if it has windsor heads you know they are 99 heads, one way to tell would be to count the valve cover bolts (romeos have 11 and windsors are 13)

the PI intakes have an aluminum cross over tube as well.... pretty sure non of the NPI intakes do not

cstreu1026
10-28-2008, 09:18 AM
NPI intakes did get an update to the aluminum crossover as well since they were subject to the same cracking and leaks. Not all PI heads will be stamped with PI either.

02mingryGT
10-28-2008, 10:19 AM
And there are PI intakes without the aluminum crossover. I believe that started in 02? Found this on another site:

http://forums.stangnet.com/628157-difference-visually-between-p-i-heads-non-p-i-heads.html

recklessop
10-28-2008, 10:25 AM
yeah, i know, i have one on my pi swapped car :( , but most you see will have the Aluminum..... if it doesnt have an aluminum cross over check around the alternator to see how they relocated the second coolant temp sensor.

cstreu1026
10-28-2008, 10:50 AM
And if it doesn't have the aluminum crossover then be prepared to replace the intake. Its a case of when not if it leaks.

2-8-1
10-30-2008, 10:31 AM
the PI intakes have an aluminum cross over tube as well.... pretty sure non of the NPI intakes do not

My 1999 Didn't have the aluminum crossover...And it blew coolant all over the hwy!

Best way to tell is to start it and drive it, If it pulls hard on top, it's a PI, if it wallows around under 4500 its a non-pi.