PDA

View Full Version : Carb question...spacer between main body and base plate?

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-28-2008, 07:42 PM
I've never seen anything like this, ran across it in a magazine. Here's a pic:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee275/EVIL85SSP/PA280035.jpg

Or is that something else i'm looking at? It's not some kind of nitrous plate either. I see an aluminum spacer between the main body and base plate. What's the purpose of that? The car in question revs to 10k RPM and runs 9s all motor. It says the engine makes just under 800hp, and the only thing it says about the carb is that it's a Holley 4150 HP (no cfm numbers) and it was prepared by Cubic Flow Measurment (this is a 2002 article, don't know of that company).

Black Horse
10-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Carb spacers can serve a couple of purposes - act as an insulator between the intake and the carb to help diffuse heat ransfer from going into the carb (usually a phenolic spacer); or spacers can assist in fuel vaporization flow into the intake. I have seen horsepower gains by spacing the carb up, but it is not a blanket statement. Overspacing can cause flow issues as well. Its all depending on your intake, carb combo, and flow dynamics. Some spacers actually have some custom porting to provide balancing of flow to certain areas of an intake as well. Of course spacers (like in NASCAR) can be used to provide a smaller orifice size to drop horsepower.

Can be magical devices, but dyno tuning/comparison is the only way to see what is going on, coupled with monitoring of individual cylinder temperatures to make sure you are evenly burning.

Spacers can also be beneficial in balancing fuel supply at different rpm ranges. I run a spacer on my race car - I saw no HP change but picked up a bit of low end grunt/torque.

mustang8998
10-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Dave (BH), that one is different. It is in between the main body and the base, not the base and the intake.

I've never seen one, like that, but maybe the principle, is the same?

Maximus
10-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Must not have worked to well...Ive never seen one other than the pic you just posted.:dunno:

mustang8998
10-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Thats what I'm thinking.

Between the base and intake, yeah, I've seen a lot of them.

Am I seeing that right? It's between the body and the base, correct?

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-29-2008, 12:01 AM
I know about spacers, it's the location of that one that's throwing me off. I've never seen one between the base plate and main body. I looked at it for a good couple minutes, knowing in my head something was different. If the spacer was under the carb you'd see the base plate directly below the main body...where the spacer thing is on that one.

latamud
10-29-2008, 12:27 AM
I've never seen one like that before either. Maybe it has something to do with clearance or something not lining up right with an under-carb spacer. That throttle cable bracket bolts on top of the base plate. A spacer underneath would also raise the throttle cable.

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Yeah could be some kind of remedy for something. I don't think a spacer in that spot would have the same effect as a spacer under the base plate since the throttle blades are under the spacer. All that's doing is making the venturies longer...the idea of a spacer is to increase intake volumn and length right? I wish i could see what the inside of that thing looks like..

Black Horse
10-29-2008, 07:12 AM
Dave (BH), that one is different. It is in between the main body and the base, not the base and the intake.

I've never seen one, like that, but maybe the principle, is the same?

I missed that.....

Makes no sense at all. The only thing I can figure out is that it was for clearance for the throttle linkage to the air cleaner or something. That would space the butterfly plate away from the nozzles.....I don't get it.

Timido
10-29-2008, 05:09 PM
might be a 4150 with dominator base. Custom deal

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-30-2008, 02:36 PM
might be a 4150 with dominator base. Custom deal

You might have nailed it. The intake is a Super Victor...do they come with square bore bolt patterns or only Dominator style?

PHAT69AMX
10-30-2008, 07:57 PM
May also be to adapt an 800 cfm or smaller Main Body to an 850 cfm Throttle Plate.
All double pumpers from 650 to 800 cfm have (4) 1-11/6 dia butterflies.
Only the 850 double pumper has (4) 1-3/4 dia butterflies.
Only the 600 double pumper has (4) 1-9/16 dia butterflies.
At least for the classic Holley double pumpers, List 0-4776 thru 0-4781.
Or like said, could also be to adapt to a Dominator Throttle Plate.
Dominator Carbs have (4) 2 inch dia butterflies.

85_SS_302_Coupe
11-02-2008, 09:01 PM
I realized that most of the people who were looking at this pic (on other sites) think i'm talking about the purple throttle bracket...so i made this pic just to make sure people get what i'm asking about.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee275/EVIL85SSP/PA280035-1.jpg