PDA

View Full Version : New style Gear Wrench's

ibstrokin
10-28-2008, 10:42 PM
I bought a new pair of Gear wrench's at Lowe's today. They're pretty neat. They are 8 wrenches in 2, one wrench has 5/16, 3/8 on one end 1/2, 7/16 on the other end. The second wrench has 9/16, 5/8 then 11/16, 3/4 on the other end. They have a reversable switch on either end. Basically each side and end of the wrench has a different size. I think these will be great at the track, on a boat, or bike, where space is limited. Two wrenches doing the job of eight. They are wider than a standard wrench, so they wont work in every situation, and they are straight not curved. I still think these will be kick ass to have around. Lowe's has this set for $30.

http://www.tylertool.com/85200gearwr.html

thecollector
10-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Be careful with the gearwrench brand. I have a set which apparently have plastic gears inside- under high torque conditions I stripped one and haven't been able to find a place to give me a new one. If anyone can refer me to such a company it would be great. Oh yeah my Snap-on, and matco dealer told me they would have them repaired but shipping is ridiculous.

Loosen extra tight bolts with a fixed wrench and then the gearwrenches are a must have.

347sc
10-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Be careful with the gearwrench brand. I have a set which apparently have plastic gears inside- under high torque conditions I stripped one and haven't been able to find a place to give me a new one. If anyone can refer me to such a company it would be great. Oh yeah my Snap-on, and matco dealer told me they would have them repaired but shipping is ridiculous.

Loosen extra tight bolts with a fixed wrench and then the gearwrenches are a must have.

Gearwrench makes but SnapOn and Matco and a few others. I have had a couple replaced with Matco branded wrenches free of charge

IWRBB
10-29-2008, 07:40 PM

Man I love talking about tools....

Sears sells Gearwrenches. I had a 14mm Gearwrench corrode inside the ratchet part, I took it back to Sears along with a couple other broken Craftsman tools and they gave me replacements for all of them.

You are right though, they are not that great for breaking loose big bolts, best to use a standard box end until it's broke loose. Smaller bolts aren't as tight, so no big deal breaking those loose. You can get them in different racheting increments and I think that affects the strength. The smaller increment has smaller teeth, and are weaker.

I have a set of microclick ratchets, they ratchet in really small increments, but you can't torque them hard since the teeth are so small. If you look at a normal 1/2" ratchet though, the increments are big, as are the teeth, which makes it able to take some torque. My 1/2" Craftsman ratchet took off the crank pulley on my Cobra with a 6' pipe on the end of it and me pushing with everything I had, I'm guessing it was around 1000 ft-lbs. I took that ratchet apart and you could see the one tooth was a bit deformed. :tard: It still works though.

PonymanfiveO
10-29-2008, 09:19 PM

Thats crazy!

I use and abuse my gear wrenches HARD! I double them up all the time.
Ive only broke a couple of them and have no problems having them swapped right out at Lowes or by my Matco dealer.

ibstrokin
10-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I have alot of gear wrenches also, only had one give me a problem. I use gear wrenches to tighten my motor mounts, they fit in tight spots and speed things up. But these wrenches are pretty cool, very handy.

TZ250
10-31-2008, 09:07 AM
;)

:postpix:

Stangman
10-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Ever had a gear wrench pop apart on you?

That's fun. I had a 1/2 inch Craftsman pop apart on me while using it on an oil drain plug.

It took me a few minutes but I got it back together...

Thats how I roll out here in Brown County.. we re-use shit!

thecollector
11-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Thats crazy!

I use and abuse my gear wrenches HARD! I double them up all the time.
Ive only broke a couple of them and have no problems having them swapped right out at Lowes or by my Matco dealer.

Whats crazy is the the "tool" behind the tool counter wouldn't replace mine- maybe I'll try a different store. I bought my set 4 or 5 years ago when they first came out. I can't find any that look just like mine in the stores so the clerks are always confused. My Matco man isn't the best in customer service and since I didn't buy it from him he said good luck- this is why most of my tools are snap-on. What store did you take yours to???

facemelter71
11-12-2008, 01:50 PM
I have my gear wrenches by snap-on(bluepoint) that are reversable,but they all have the snapon lifetime warranty.I have broken the 10mm and stripped the 8mm and had them both replaced free of charge.I have hammer marks on my 13-19mm wrenches from me beating on them for a stuck bolt.They are def' heavy duty and will withstand alot of blows from a ballpean.Kinda pricey,but well worth not having to worry if they are raplacable or not.Ill give him the wrench in pieces in a bag and still have it replaced.

PonymanfiveO
11-12-2008, 01:54 PM
That sucks, I think I would have thrown a fit!

Brian Parker is my Matco dealer, super nice guy. (859) 743-2247

Ive had good luck at Sears Hardware in Newport shopping center and Lowes in Cold Spring KY

facemelter71
11-12-2008, 02:13 PM
My Matco dealer is a cool guy too.Brian Anderson.He really works with me on my bills and things.I just buy way to many damn tools.I just bought a tool box from him.He dropped it off at my house for me on a friday night.

craigels
11-12-2008, 03:02 PM
I use the new Craftsman Cross Force gear wrenches. They're awesome! They are unbelievably comfortable in your hand. I've only broke one, because it bounced off the concrete pretty hard... Sear's replaced it no problem!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947419000P

Plus 1! for Brian Parker!

Craig