PDA

View Full Version : Please school me in all things 4V...

Stangman
11-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Selling my S-10 and buying a 4V modular-powered car...

What all do I need to know about these things?

I want to do a few *light* mods to the car and still retain as much streetability and gas mileage as possible

The car is a '93 Lincoln Mark Viii

What do I need to know about the transmissions? rearend? and especially the motor??

Thanks a lot!

94tchikinv8
11-01-2008, 03:06 PM
go to tccoa.com technical articles about how to Jmod the tranny. Honestly though, I would put a newer 4r70w (99+) in it. you will have to repin the wiring connector to use the newer trans. Use mercon 5

Get a high stall torque converter from dirtyd0g.

Get a trac-lok (IRS specific) carrier for the rear diff. 4.10s or 4.30s if you want to go fast. I have 3.73s in my bird now, and will probably go for more gear when I put in a new converter/trans.

Then get a good tune.

-Rob

mustangjon
11-01-2008, 05:38 PM
welcome to the lincoln club jesse lol, now you can be an oddball like me oh wait your already an oddball :lol: get with hardcore if you need some spare lincoln parts, the motor he is building came out of a lincoln, block is same as cobra, but rotating assy isnt forged, cams are different. Here is one the sites i'm on they have a mark viii specific section.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/tech.html

thats all the tech articles and click on forums it'll give you alot of tips in tech section and some mod ideas :)

Stangman
11-02-2008, 10:48 AM
go to tccoa.com technical articles about how to Jmod the tranny. Honestly though, I would put a newer 4r70w (99+) in it. you will have to repin the wiring connector to use the newer trans. Use mercon 5

Get a high stall torque converter from dirtyd0g.

Get a trac-lok (IRS specific) carrier for the rear diff. 4.10s or 4.30s if you want to go fast. I have 3.73s in my bird now, and will probably go for more gear when I put in a new converter/trans.

Then get a good tune.

-Rob

I was thinking 3.73's for more street use. There is a difference between trac lok carriers and IRS trac lok carriers? I always thought the ABS ring just knocked off... it does on an explorer carrier atleast, in order to fit in a stang..

And what is Jmod? What trans' are in them now?

welcome to the lincoln club jesse lol, now you can be an oddball like me oh wait your already an oddball :lol: get with hardcore if you need some spare lincoln parts, the motor he is building came out of a lincoln, block is same as cobra, but rotating assy isnt forged, cams are different. Here is one the sites i'm on they have a mark viii specific section.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/tech.html

thats all the tech articles and click on forums it'll give you alot of tips in tech section and some mod ideas :)

yeah, I know, I already own a mustang II, thats odd enough for most people. Yeah I've been reading on www.markviii.org, and lincoln vs cadillac... there is some cool stuff to do to those cars...

and afterall... They have 290 horse!!!

Walter
11-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Another car?

Stangman
11-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Another car?

Yes... :rolleyes:

It's an addiction.. really:lol:

Seriously though, the price is right on it and I've been wanting one forever... and It will be a lot more comfortable to drive than an S-10, especially with my left knee getting worse...

94tchikinv8
11-02-2008, 01:58 PM
I was thinking 3.73's for more street use. There is a difference between trac lok carriers and IRS trac lok carriers? I always thought the ABS ring just knocked off... it does on an explorer carrier atleast, in order to fit in a stang..

And what is Jmod? What trans' are in them now?

The IRS carriers have different side gears for use with the circlips on the cv axles as opposed to c-clips for regular axleshafts. If you have a standard carrier in an IRS car and the circlips lock in; you're not getting the cv axle back out without a horrendous fight.

The Jmod is basically a shift kit, only better. It will help prolong the life of your tranny and make it shift more firmly. You can do a search about it on tccoa.com forums and you will come up with all kinds of stuff. The actual procedure is outlined in tech articles linked from the home page.

The tranny it has now is an old shitty version of the 4r70w. Through the years, they kept making improvements to increase durability, and basically make a better transmission. Usually 99+ are best.

My car is a 94 Tbird. I have an 02 Exploder engine with a set of comp 262 cams. I have a set of 3.73s and the stock crappy transmission right now. My best so far is 14.15@98.9 mphwith a 2.1x 60 foot. That's with the shift points being f-ed up and it bouncing off the rev limiter on the 1-2 shift. I'm thinking I will be deep into the 13s when I get the newer trans and converter in the car. 233hp and 267 lb-ft torque at the wheels on a 100* day. I would think your stock 4v would be fairly close to that.

-Rob

Dirtyd0g
11-02-2008, 05:26 PM
I can machine the side gears to work in IRS application.
Alan

Mavowar
11-03-2008, 12:15 AM
The Motor you have is good till about 450-500hp NA.

A power adder figure on 400hp to be safe with a good tune.

As stated it has cast crank....

First thing I would do is pull the intake and heads.

have them cleaned up (lotsa sludge/and deposits) from the inherit design of the twin ports. Only one port has fuel being sprayed into it. The round one. This also makes the butter flys on the runners not open at all/fully or stick open.

The design works well other wise. The heavy Lincoln responds well to the transistion from short to long runners.

The Lincolns had different cams more suited to a heavy car......

I would recommend buying a book from Sean Hyland. Some say he isn't all that but I bought the book and really enjoyed his hands on exp with the
mod motor family.
http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/

cstreu1026
11-03-2008, 08:40 AM
You would be the only person I have seen say they had a positive experience with Sean Hyland.

glassman
11-03-2008, 02:10 PM
You would be the only person I have seen say they had a positive experience with Sean Hyland.

+1.....

JIMS SVT
11-03-2008, 03:10 PM
The book is good info.

Stangman
11-07-2008, 05:29 PM
What generally needs replaced and when on a 4V engine?? Mine has 122K on it...

Dirtyd0g
11-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Those motors run forever. It probably gets some carbon build up. Treat it to a little atf and water. You'll probably have to pull the imrc's to clean them.
Alan

Stangman
11-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Where are the IMRC's at? I had all the crap off the top of the motor today so I could change my spark plugs... didn't notice anything that might have jumped out at me

Going to change my fuel filter and seafoam the car tomorrow and see if that improves it any. Runs extremely well though.

2-8-1
11-13-2008, 02:22 PM
As stated it has cast crank....

The crank is not the problem. Shops build 600Hp+ cars with the stock cast cranks. The problems that limit HP in modular motors Pre 2003 were the powdered metal rods and the hyper pistons. In Cobra's it was the pistons first, and in GT's it was the rods.

The Cast 8 bolt crank that is in his Lincoln in the same Cast 8 bolt crank that is in my GT, they are strong enough for any kind of power that the shitty pistons and rods will handle, and will still be strong enough for a 550HP Boosted Engine.

NXcoupe
11-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Jesse, the IMRC plates are between the intake and the head. You will notice an aluminum spacer about 1" thick. You can see it from the front if you look close. They have a huge intake with a bunch of tubular runners and crap. I have one apart if you want to make the trek up here again. You can see all the inner workings.

Stangman
11-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Hmm... Could you take a couple snapshots of that stuff?

That sounds like something I would have to take the intake off for isnt it?

I'm going to seafoam the piss out of it this weekend.

It doesnt like to run up in the RPM's steadily like it *should*. It stutters, like it needs a coil pack or 2. other than that, it runs fantastic.

Mavowar
11-17-2008, 08:53 PM
The crank is not the problem. Shops build 600Hp+ cars with the stock cast cranks. The problems that limit HP in modular motors Pre 2003 were the powdered metal rods and the hyper pistons. In Cobra's it was the pistons first, and in GT's it was the rods.

The Cast 8 bolt crank that is in his Lincoln in the same Cast 8 bolt crank that is in my GT, they are strong enough for any kind of power that the shitty pistons and rods will handle, and will still be strong enough for a 550HP Boosted Engine.

Below 6500 rpms I will agree with you.....spin a cast crank past that and play Russian Roulette....

Stangman
11-17-2008, 10:04 PM
My buddy's mark viii can tap 7200 rpm and not even flinch.. and it's stock

Mavowar
11-18-2008, 08:04 AM
My buddy's mark viii can tap 7200 rpm and not even flinch.. and it's stock

Lets see him do that in an endurance road race.:D
I guess I equate things to road racing since that is what I do.....

I guarantee a cast crank would not hold up.

I am not denying your claim but I am really shocked that the Mark VIII can hit 7200 rpms period the cams really were not made to spin that high neither were the springs in the heads.:bigthumb

na svt
11-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Below 6500 rpms I will agree with you.....spin a cast crank past that and play Russian Roulette....

They use GT cranks in factory stock motors that spin to 7500 routinely.

I am not denying your claim but I am really shocked that the Mark VIII can hit 7200 rpms period the cams really were not made to spin that high neither were the springs in the heads.:bigthumb

They can hit 7200 with stock cams and intake but the power level is way down at that point.

Waffles
11-19-2008, 12:54 AM
That sounds like something I would have to take the intake off for isnt it?

I'm going to seafoam the piss out of it this weekend.

Yes. I've heard a lot of people talk about how good the Seafoam solution works. Well, it does make a hell of an impressive smoke show. I Seafoamed mine twice within a month. When I pulled the intake off anyway, there was carbon still caked up everywhere. As far as I could tell, it did nothing to help.

Stangman
11-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Yes. I've heard a lot of people talk about how good the Seafoam solution works. Well, it does make a hell of an impressive smoke show. I Seafoamed mine twice within a month. When I pulled the intake off anyway, there was carbon still caked up everywhere. As far as I could tell, it did nothing to help.

I usually seafoam my black car every 3 oil changes... lately I've been slacking though...