PDA

View Full Version : Tremec-vs-C4

facemelter71
11-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Im lookin to swap my current setup.
I would like some opinions on which way to go.

I allready have all the stuff minus a flywheel for the tremec setup.I had it in my 86 vert and ran great.I have an AOD in my Coupe now and am not sure if I want another Auto or go 5 speed.I allready have the pedal assembly in the car along with the quadrant and firewall adjuster....Let me know what you think.

Rich
11-06-2008, 10:58 AM
What is the combo?

What is your goal?

facemelter71
11-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Nice fast street car.Will hit the track on the weekends.The combo now is a stock 302 stock heads with E-cam, typhoon upper and lower,intake spacer,mac headers 2.5'' exhaust with flowmasters,355 gears,and 150 shot of spray (for now).

Stangman
11-06-2008, 11:47 AM
stick shifts are cooler :cool1:

kennebellcobra
11-06-2008, 12:20 PM
I liked the stick better for the street and fun factor but the auto's better at the track...much easier on parts. I still drive mine alot on the street and it's not bad at all but I run 3.55's with a 28" tire and tight converter. I think if your running 410's or loose converter it would suck. I say if your goal is below mid 10's go with an auto or be prepared to replace clutches/parts often. It gets hard to powershift a sycronized trans in the low 10's...everything has to be perfect and I thought about pro-shifted but figured that would ruin it as a street car so I went with the c-4.

Steves LX
11-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Well Andy I am going thru the same problem right now. I enjoy shifting the car but it really sucks at the track. I have seriously been considering a C4 but I know I will miss the whole stick shift deal.

Stangman
11-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Well Andy I am going thru the same problem right now. I enjoy shifting the car but it really sucks at the track. I have seriously been considering a C4 but I know I will miss the whole stick shift deal.

Thats right bitch! You go auto and I'll kick you in the nuts!:dummy::tard::punch:

facemelter71
11-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Well Steve,Ive driven my 86 for about 6 years with a stick in it.I went through 4 T-5's nd ended up spending the cash on a tremec.Its sitting here ready to go.

On the other hand I have my other car,the coupe.Its an AOD car that i have driven for a couple years now.I had the two at the house at one time and drove them both regularly.The vert was a fun 5 speed,but when I hit traffic and crap,I missed my auto.The vert is gone and I havent driven a mustang 5 speed for some time now and really dont miss it.

When I swapped the coupe for that two weeks,I wanted my auto back.
Steve,I think that if you swap to an auto you will miss the 5 speed for a while but it will sink in,and you will come to like the auto.

Steves LX
11-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Yeah I say go auto and sell me your tremec.

facemelter71
11-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Oh really?????

I might just have to...........

Stangman
11-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Now there's a thought...

:bigthumb

jad0087
11-06-2008, 04:41 PM
i need a tremec to so here is another possible buyer haha

bbfstanger
11-06-2008, 06:11 PM
why not an aod? they hold up fine if built properly and you get overdrive .

facemelter71
11-06-2008, 06:25 PM
See here is the cool thing.I have another AOD at my dads just sittin in the shed. With another converter that came out of "that" trans.The prices will be about the same between a built AOD and a C4.I would love to stick the AOD back in it and let one of you guys build it for me.But the prices are pretty high to build an AOD.Unless the prices bbfstanger gave me includes the trans?

bbfstanger
11-06-2008, 07:09 PM
arent aod cores fairly cheap? the prices i sent were for rebuilding yours.
i forgot you were one of the guys i sent a price to lol!

Rick93coupe
11-06-2008, 07:44 PM
A good valve body in an auto makes all the difference in the world. I had an AOD in a coupe for awhile and didn't really care for it. Ibstrokin had a built AOD in his LX that I loved, the shifts were firm and at better rpm's. I really liked that transmission a lot. I say go AOD if you still want to drive it a lot, but build it to last.

ibstrokin
11-06-2008, 08:42 PM
I swapped from a tremec 3550 to a c4 with a less than optimized converter a couple of years ago. I picked up 3 tenths, and the car was much more driveable around town. It did suck on the highway though, I missed overdrive. I have since swapped to a lentech aod. John (bbfstanger) is having good luck w/his aod, that he built.

ibstrokin
11-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Here is a good comparison between two similarly powered cars, one 5-spd, one auto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkpqFgPYtVo

Rick93coupe
11-06-2008, 10:04 PM
I never get tired of seeing that vid!

85_SS_302_Coupe
11-06-2008, 10:24 PM
You might be more consistant at the track with a C4, but IMO it's more fun on the street with a 5 speed. I actually had a C4 and swapped to a 3550, the same thing you're debating. The car was like night and day...felt faster, was more fun to drive, it was win-win for me. I also appreciate a fast stick car in the quarter more than an automatic...it just ties the driver into the car more.

Stangman
11-07-2008, 09:33 AM
You might be more consistant at the track with a C4, but IMO it's more fun on the street with a 5 speed. I actually had a C4 and swapped to a 3550, the same thing you're debating. The car was like night and day...felt faster, was more fun to drive, it was win-win for me. I also appreciate a fast stick car in the quarter more than an automatic...it just ties the driver into the car more.

Your SSP was originally an automatic??

facemelter71
11-07-2008, 11:50 AM
I dont really know what the hell I want to do.For one thing,I want to stop driving the car everyday.The truck might get better gas mileage but I wont know for another two weeks when I start driving it.

I will have the chance in the new year to either buy a C4 trans or grab the other AOD I have and sent it to some one for rebuilding.

The next Combo going into the car will be a DSS pro bullitt 331 stroker with edelbrock heads (2.02 I) and the same intake I have now and more spray or maybe even a Turbo,If I can sneak it on the car with out the wife knowing...??

Motorvation
11-07-2008, 03:42 PM
I've been thinking about spray on my 65 with a manual trans. With something like a 150 shot how well does the clutch hold up? I was advised not to do it with a street/strip clutch. That's something to consider, especially if you want to up the juice. I have no first hand knowledge, but I'm sure many do here. What's the verdict?

facemelter71
11-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Well if the car gets a 5 speed it will have a spec stage III clutch and Fidanza flywheel.I think ( I really dont know your combo) a stage II wil be fine for yours.Ask StevesLx,he has a 5 speed and is sprayin that much I believe.

85_SS_302_Coupe
11-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Your SSP was originally an automatic??

No, factory 5 speed...the guy i got it from put a C4 in it so his wife could race it. The clutch pedel was zip tied up to the floor.