PDA

View Full Version : In the market for a new car

69Cobra
11-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Well I believe that God is an accountant. We haven't had a car payment in about 3 years and this morning the wife was going to the hospital for roll transition for school and got in a wreck. Their was a car on fire on the side of 471 and some dumb ass stops in the middle lane instead of pulling off the side of the road to see if they are all right. So you know what happened next. The wife seen the car on fire but with the smoke didn't see the truck stoped in the middle lane:eek:. Yeah, I think the 97 GTP has seen its last days with the Rachford family. We only have liability coverage but I think they will consider it totaled anyway. Does anybody know how they figure if the car is totaled or not. Isn't it if its 25% of the value its considered totaled?

Terry, what kinda deals you got going on?

leroy93lx
11-08-2008, 10:15 AM
If the estimated damage and repair cost exceed 75% of the cars value is what insurers go by generally. Over 75% will be considered a total loss.

Maximus
11-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Im hoping she is OK???? :eek:
I know of a Mustang for sale. Its cool and will get momma to the grocery store...FAST!!!!:bigthumb

MFIELD
11-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Damn Kris I hope she's ok, different insurance companies use different values for totaling a car.

Ranger50
11-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Typically, 60-65% of the value at time of intial estimate considers a vehicle totalled. But you can get into structural damage that won't get you a "quality" repair, so value doesn't matter anymore.

How bad is the hit? Parts for those cars are easy to get fairly inexpensively.

Brian

Timido
11-08-2008, 12:28 PM
That sucks. I hope the wifey is doing well. The car can be replaced.

69Cobra
11-08-2008, 03:20 PM
I guess I should have said the wife is okay:lol:. Well we just got the back and I don't think its to bad. I'll post up some pix later. It needs a hood, drivers fender, headlights, bumper cover on the outside. The main issue is the core support is pushed in, so that needs to be pulled out and straighted. Then a new a/c condensor, radiator, and latch assm. SO the real question is do we through a couple grand in a 12 year old car with 140K that still runs good or jump into a $5-600 car payment:(

Ranger50
11-08-2008, 05:44 PM
If she doesn't mind a ride of many colors, I'd fix it. Hell, even if she does mind, I'd fix it. I doubt you would be at a couple of grand to fix it. If you can get buy with some used parts on it, I bet you could easily get under $1k for the repair. your biggest expenses are going to be the bumper cover, about 300 bucks for a primed aftermarket one, and getting the front frame back into shape. The rest is easy(-ier).

Brian