PDA

View Full Version : Slightly embarrassing

MustangChuck
11-10-2008, 02:51 PM
This is a bit embarrassing, but I was changing my oil in the auto crafts shop down here on post and when I went to put the drain plug back in on my 08 Mustang GT, I over tightened it (I am always afraid that I wont tighten it enough) and I stripped something. The drain plug is in place and is plenty tight to hold in the oil when i am driving, but when I try to keep tightening it, it just keeps spinning. Does anyone know if I stripped just the drain plug, if I stripped the threads on the actual oil pan, or if I stripped both. In addition, I was told of a rubber plug or something like that that would be able to fix the problem. Does anyone know anything more about this and if so would this be able to fix my problem, or do I have to replace the whole oil pan? Also, if I had to replace the oil pan, how much would it cost round abouts? Thanks guys.

02mingryGT
11-10-2008, 04:05 PM
I would try tapping the pan and take a die to the plug. I also wouldn't trust it to hold if it isn't actually tightening up.

And btw, I double sealed my oil filter by accident and lost oil and ended up spinning a couple rod bearings so don't feel bad. :lol:

bobtsgt
11-10-2008, 04:10 PM
sounds like you ate the treads out of the pan. try tapping it and chase the threads. If that doesn't work you may be looking at a new pan.

MustangChuck
11-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Could you please tell me what you mean about tapping and chasing the threads?

facemelter71
11-10-2008, 04:38 PM
If its like the older pans and plugs.Just swap it out for a new bolt.They are usually a soft metal and will strip out before the pan.

MustangChuck
11-10-2008, 04:43 PM
That would make sense.

facemelter71
11-10-2008, 04:44 PM
I have seen it alot on ford cars and trucks.I replaced alot of oil drain bolts when I worked for Kerry Ford.

IWRBB
11-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Should just be the bolt. If it won't back out, pry between the bottom of the bolt head and the pan while unscrewing it.

1992MustangDW
11-10-2008, 05:59 PM
like others said prolly bolt. did this b-4

MustangChuck
11-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Thats good cuz i dont want to have to get a new oil pan already lol. Hopefully its made like the old ones and I can just back out the drain plug. But wouldnt it possibly be the oil pan itself if I can just keep spinning the drain plug?

DeckerEnt
11-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Could you please tell me what you mean about tapping and chasing the threads?

A tap looks like a bolt that is fluted. The threads are sharp and designed to cut new threads or clean out existing threads. You would remove the drain plug, and screw the tap into the hole. While the drain plug is out, look at it. The easiest thing would be that the bolt is stripped out and a new one would work. Good luck with it.
Keith

IWRBB
11-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Thats good cuz i dont want to have to get a new oil pan already lol. Hopefully its made like the old ones and I can just back out the drain plug. But wouldnt it possibly be the oil pan itself if I can just keep spinning the drain plug?

Could still be the bolt. Like I said, you have to pry the bolt out while turning it. Pry between the bottom of the bolt head and the pan while someone turns it with a wrench. You may have to pry from different angles until you get it to catch a thread. Otherwise, time to drill.