PDA

View Full Version : POS GM Parts

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I can't believe how unreliable these GM parts are. My buddy has a '97 Cavalier, and this thing can't keep a starter in it to save its own life. I can't tell you how many times i've used junkyard parts on a 302, not to mention Hondas and pretty much anything else i needed to save cash on, and most parts will last a reasonable amount of time. This damn car, we've put FOUR starters on it and every damn one of them goes out within one month. I can't believe it! And to top it off, nobody sells just the solenoid for these stupid starters so when the bendix goes out you have to replace the whole thing! Fuck GM! I'm pulling my hair stubble out because of this retarded car.

:flipoff::punch::dummy::bangwall::AR15::sukit: :boxing: :HYF::squirt::doh:

I think that's about enough smileys to express my anger..lol

Stangman
12-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Sounds like he just got a bad one out of the bunch. My sister had a '97 Cavalier... and she got it with 75k on it... drove it til 223K and then traded it for a Trailblazer... she could still be driving it if she didnt trade it in.

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Yeah the first time i put one in it and it went out i thought it was a fluke. Then the second time i was a little suspicious, now a third one has gone out (so i guess it's 3 starters not 4) and this one didn't last 3 weeks. It's hard to believe i've got 3 shitty starters in a row but i guess it's possible.

Stangman
12-02-2008, 10:03 AM
flywheel issues? or is the starter starving for current?

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-02-2008, 10:12 AM
They're flat out going out...like the solenoid or bendix, whatever you call it on a GM starter, they're all crapping out. I'm wondering if something is causing it, but what could that be?

quik lx
12-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Back when I was in the military out in california I had a '92 cavalier, bought it new, that car ate a starter once a year, and an alternator every other year. It went 180K with no other problems though before I sold it.

BigBadStang
12-02-2008, 02:09 PM
GM = JUNK.
;)

Mista Bone
12-02-2008, 02:29 PM
wait until you have to replace a GM fuel pump......

There was a while they would only last 60k miles, then of the replacements from GM about 1/2 would go bad within a month.

Not fun on a Suburban with a 36 gallon gas tank!

Black Horse
12-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Check with JN Auto Electric on Bypass 50 in Evendale. If you are getting your parts from Autozone you are buying worse junk that comes from the Dealership.

347sc
12-02-2008, 03:33 PM
wait until you have to replace a GM fuel pump......

There was a while they would only last 60k miles, then of the replacements from GM about 1/2 would go bad within a month.

Not fun on a Suburban with a 36 gallon gas tank!

LOL whats so bad about that? I have done hundreds of em. Made good money doing it.

aperacer
12-02-2008, 03:46 PM
there was a recall on cavaliers ref. a starter wiring upgrade. give me the vin and i will run it...the upgrade or recall. was because of excesive draw and burning up the ign. switch.

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-02-2008, 05:03 PM
^^ Cool, sent you a PM.

I really think there's something with the car that's causing them to go out. I know junkyard parts can't be 100% reliable but i think i'd rather have a geniune Ford/GM part vs. a parts store rebuild with cheap parts. The thing i keep trying to explain to him is that, one and maybe even two starters going out, i may blame on junkyard parts, but 3 in a row is pushing me to look at other things that could cause it to go out. He's pissed off now and dead set on going to Napa and buying a rebuilt..so i'm gonna let him, and if it goes out again there's gonna be a GM smack talk bashing that'll go down in history :lol:

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Can anyone help me find a wiring schematic for the starter? We've got a Chilton manual and it's not worth a shit...there's no diagam for the wiring. We've got a new starter and now the stupid thing still won't start. I keep saying, something is causing the starters to go out but NOBODY is listening to me. Now he's gone out and fucked with the wiring and i don't know what goes to where anymore.

Mista Bone
12-03-2008, 06:04 PM
start with the tranny to frame ground strap, but also look into the key switch.

should be able to google a wiring diagram

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Been searching for diagrams and can't find anything. I have a hunch the ignition switch might be out too. I wired the starter up the same way as the one i just took off, and at first when you try to hook the hot battery wire up it starts cranking the starter (sounds like the ignition switch to me) so i took the wires off the starter, hooked up the batter and then hooked the wires back up on the starter (and for some reason doing it in that order doesn't cause it to turn over). But now when we go to start it, it just makes a nasty grinding/dragging noise.

Another question i have is do these starters need shimmed or do they just bolt right in and go? I'm way out of my element here...i'm not a mechanic, i'm a Ford guy...lol

I still can't believe you can't buy just a solenoid/bendix for these stupid starters...you have to replace the whole damn starter when they go out. SOOOO stupid. Then there's the fact that it's on the starter and not on the fender where it belongs.

Rick93coupe
12-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Dayton quality starter will rebuild any starter for your car, but they aren't cheap. They do have a good reputation for quality though.

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-03-2008, 08:08 PM
So turns out these starters need shimmed? I'm betting that could be the ultimate problem with the last 3 starters, cause i didn't know anything about shimming them. It's so funny...ask me anything about a Mustang and i'll probably know it unless it's building an engine from scratch...but about other cars and especially non-Fords, i don't know jack.

Mista Bone
12-04-2008, 01:54 AM
poor designs need shims, like most Chevys :)

Mavowar
12-04-2008, 07:57 AM
there was a recall on cavaliers ref. a starter wiring upgrade. give me the vin and i will run it...the upgrade or recall. was because of excesive draw and burning up the ign. switch.

i thought there was......
then again GMs seem to have lotsa recalls....
gotta go to work now.....
to fix cars.....
I for see at least one GM on my bay today:D:lol:

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Well, i preached yesterday about bad wiring, so he called up his brother who agreed with me and now he's all about it being a wiring problem (don't listen to me!). So i'm washing my hands of this POS car. I know one thing, i won't own a damned Cavalier if someone gave it to me for free!!

aperacer
12-04-2008, 10:51 PM
the bad parts is on a whole cavaliers have been a good car for us.. there are the normal problems. but we have a couple guys at the shop driving them with over 250,000 miles on them. almost like you cant kill them. sorry to hear the ungreatful "friend" kinda stroked you.

juiced347
12-08-2008, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=85_SS_302_Coupe;429011]Well, i preached yesterday about bad wiring, so he called up his brother who agreed with me and now he's all about it being a wiring problem (don't listen to me!). So i'm washing my hands of this POS car. I know one thing, i won't own a damned Cavalier if someone gave it to me for free!![/QUOTE/]

I got a free cavalier looking to give it away you interested? :lol::lol:

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-08-2008, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=85_SS_302_Coupe;429011]Well, i preached yesterday about bad wiring, so he called up his brother who agreed with me and now he's all about it being a wiring problem (don't listen to me!). So i'm washing my hands of this POS car. I know one thing, i won't own a damned Cavalier if someone gave it to me for free!![/QUOTE/]

I got a free cavalier looking to give it away you interested? :lol::lol:

Does the starter work? :lol:

We towed the POS back to our place today. :squirt:

bestracing
12-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Never use used alternators and starters is my moto. I got burnt too many times with them. I've been taking my stuff to Bowling Generator Service since the late 80's and never had a problem form anything from him.