PDA

View Full Version : any firemen on here?

95redstang
12-02-2008, 03:05 PM
I need to find out some info from a fireman.

89notch
12-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Watcha need? There is a dozen or so of us here.

snotzs135
12-02-2008, 03:36 PM
who are you kidding your a medic not a fireman lol:tard:

NXcoupe
12-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Watcha need? There is a dozen or so of us here.

I know he never answers his darn phone!!! Well, its probably just me. thought I would say it before anyone else jumped on it.... lol.

aperacer
12-02-2008, 03:43 PM

thats funny... but your ride a medic evry third also....:D

oh yeah... whats the question

89notch
12-02-2008, 03:46 PM

Not till Jan 1st I'm riding back step until then :lol: What are you doing Thursday? I bet I know :lol:

fastone
12-02-2008, 04:30 PM
So how many ff/medics are on here? And how many times a month are you on the ambulance? Im on it here in Burlington two shift in a row then Im off it and on the engine for four shifts in a row!

But back to the orginal post, what's the question!?

Mr.Moontang
12-02-2008, 04:43 PM
I know some firemen...LOL

ffmueller81
12-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Just a FF here... Volly for Harlan Twp. It is nice because I don't have to do any EMS because I choose not too... Granted it isn't a job for me either...

So, someone mentioned something about a question??

MrsAPE
12-02-2008, 05:13 PM
I sleep with one! :D

aperacer
12-02-2008, 05:42 PM
So how many ff/medics are on here? And how many times a month are you on the ambulance? Im on it here in Burlington two shift in a row then Im off it and on the engine for four shifts in a row!

i dont ride the medic at all... its good to be the FAO... and have been for about 15 years now.

and yes the question?

67Terror
12-02-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm a FF/EMT without a job. jus a jolly volly till im done with school in january

95redstang
12-02-2008, 11:22 PM
I forgot about Kelly being a ff..
Basically does anybody know how much a fire hydrant costs? I had a little accident backing up in one of our huge party busses back in October. I seen 2 street signs (1 in each mirror) so I thought I was clear and had plenty of room. Next thing I know I heard a noise. I thought the back tires hit the curb. Well it turns out I knocked over a hydrant. I didn't knowI hit anything until I returned back to the church. The police came and told me and cited me. No big deal, I thought. I wasn't even going 2mph backing up. When I got the chance to check out the damage the fire dept. already took the hydrant. Nothing looked broken below ground. Well my company got a bill for $1,300 dollars. I almost dropped a golden egg. I have to pay for this damn thing. Don't get me started on that. There is know way I hit it hard enough to do that kind of damage. So I am going to call Cincinnati water work or whoever sent the bill in the morning.I am going to try and get an itemized bill. I have been told they cost between $400-$500. So if that's true then I was charged $800-$900 in labor. If so I am in the wrong damn business.

331TwistedWedge
12-03-2008, 12:18 AM
i would tell the city of cincinnati to hug my root ...

tcorns
12-03-2008, 02:26 AM
just my few cents... i can see that in labor because a fire hydrant works like a frost free hydrant and the actual valve assy is underground to prevent freezing. they would need to dig it up and replace it from the main line up, do to the construction. even though you may not see any real damage to the visible portion, you may have tweaked it enough that the rod that goes from the screw on the top to the valve at the main may be bent just enough to unseat the valve and causing it to leak. my department requires that any hydrant that gets struck wil be inspected before being put back into service. but then we are just a bunch of jolly volly's in the middle of bfe.

trev

ps the pic is from wikipedia and it should give you an idea of how it works.

Blackballed
12-03-2008, 06:14 AM
I ride the box for 12 and on the Engine for 12.

FireStang02
12-03-2008, 10:49 AM
That price actually sounds pretty accurate. There is a lot of labor involved. Usually when they are knocked over, the hydrant is fine, it just needs the stem inside replaced.

aperacer
12-03-2008, 12:53 PM
That price actually sounds pretty accurate. There is a lot of labor involved. Usually when they are knocked over, the hydrant is fine, it just needs the stem inside replaced.

i agree. and the bad part is they will not give you the damaged hydrant. even though you did just buy it

95redstang
12-03-2008, 12:53 PM
The bill that I have says the the work was done above ground..So there was no underground work involved..

89notch
12-03-2008, 01:01 PM
The bill that I have says the the work was done above ground..So there was no underground work involved..

I did a little research and its ranges from 1500-6k and 1500 is all above ground just replacing the hydrant its self with no digging involved.

snotzs135
12-03-2008, 01:33 PM
ya sucks you cant keep the one you hit!

fastone
12-03-2008, 03:22 PM
I know in KY, they will reuse the hydrant you break off. But they have to replace all the piping and seals in it. Most of the time that includes the "stem" some guys are talking about. Hydrants have a valve underground with a stem in the middle of a cast piece of pipe coming up that is bolted to the valve assem., then the only thing you normally see is the hydrant on top. All of this is held together with bolts and seals. This allows FF's to turn the hydrant on and off. I would ask for some pictures of the damage, but also remember, City of Cincy water is public and those guys make an ass load of money. Also if they repaired it after hours or on a weekend, that is even more! I would guess the average water works guy makes in the neighbor hood of 20 an hour then also equipment too that you would have to pay for..... Just my little .2! :tard:

95redstang
12-03-2008, 04:46 PM
I know in KY, they will reuse the hydrant you break off. But they have to replace all the piping and seals in it. Most of the time that includes the "stem" some guys are talking about. Hydrants have a valve underground with a stem in the middle of a cast piece of pipe coming up that is bolted to the valve assem., then the only thing you normally see is the hydrant on top. All of this is held together with bolts and seals. This allows FF's to turn the hydrant on and off. I would ask for some pictures of the damage, but also remember, City of Cincy water is public and those guys make an ass load of money. Also if they repaired it after hours or on a weekend, that is even more! I would guess the average water works guy makes in the neighbor hood of 20 an hour then also equipment too that you would have to pay for..... Just my little .2! :tard:

The piping looked in tact. I am going to ask for the itemized bill. I just can't believe that I hit it that hard to break the hydrant itself. I was going 2mph. I am going to ask for the pics and proof of the damage. If I am paying for this I damn well better get the hydrant.

firestang70
12-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Another FF here and the price seems in line with the going rate.

barkey
12-03-2008, 08:47 PM
A new Kennedy hydrant cost around 1,000 dollars Water Works probably did the repair themselves and the rest is probably labor.

aperacer
12-03-2008, 11:36 PM
A new Kennedy hydrant cost around 1,000 dollars Water Works probably did the repair themselves and the rest is probably labor.

your dads not selling those too is he.... :D

barkey
12-04-2008, 12:32 AM
your dads not selling those too is he.... :D

No I work for Water Works in purchasing.

PaulFiveOh
12-04-2008, 01:32 AM
So...who wants to invest with me in a Fire Hydrant company?

aperacer
12-04-2008, 10:22 AM
No I work for Water Works in purchasing.

sorry forgot about that.... figured camp was trying to sell hydrants too.... :D

supercab78
12-04-2008, 11:18 AM
The price sounds about right. I don't know why it cost so much though. It sounds like you hit a breakaway hydrant. They have zinc nuts that crack easly in order to prevent damage to the hydrant or water pipes under ground. They usualy just replace the zinc nuts (they don't look like a nut though) and the stem coupler. You could try dealing with water works, let them know you have to pay. Maybe they'll give you a better price. Won't hurt to try. Most of the time WW does not know who knocks them off! I think it's a money maker for them because insurance pays for them must of the time. I've been on Cincinnati Fire for 24 years and until a few months ago we had to pick up the hydrants in our first in area. I've seen guys set the hydrant back on the base so no one knows they were even broken! When we would be out plugging (checking for water) we would see the zinc nuts sitting on the ground.

barkey
12-04-2008, 07:44 PM
sorry forgot about that.... figured camp was trying to sell hydrants too.... :D

It wouldn't suprise me if he tried:)

barkey
12-04-2008, 07:56 PM
I think the $1300.00 bill is right if they replaced the hydrant. When I used to do city property claims for graffiti removal the city has a break down of what everything costs them you pay material, labor time, and truck time. So if the hydrant cost $1000.00 you probably payed $225.00 in labor and $75.00 in vehicle time.

MrsAPE
12-05-2008, 09:10 AM
It wouldn't suprise me if he tried:)
Probably doesn't realize how profitable it is!!

NUTTSGT
12-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Our water dept takes care of the hydrants, so I really can't help ya. Sorry.

ffmueller81
12-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Hahahaha, I just got to thinking about this, but good thing nobody takes out a hydrant in our area. (or flush plugs as we are required to call them)
We have three hydrants in a 45.7 square mile district.... That would put a hurting on our water supply... got to love it out in the country!!