PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body adapter=Throttle body spacer?

MustangChuck
12-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Hey all. Sometime soon I may buy a BBK 62mm twin throttle body for my 'Stang. Problem is, the one I want has an owner's comment saying that the throttle body works fine, but to beware because he needed to buy a throttle body adapter so that it would plug into his K&N system. My question is this: Is a throttle body spacer the same as a throttle body adapter? If not, where can I get a throttle body adapter for this particular throttle body so that it will fit my K&N induction system?

Maximus
12-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Save your money for a SC.:)

MustangChuck
12-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Oh dont worry I will lol but I want to do as much as I can so I have the potential to go as fast as I possibly can lol (but I do know that it will depend largely on how I drive). Would you guys at Cincy Speed be able to get a hold of the adapter I would need when I want to do this?

05yellowgt
12-02-2008, 10:14 PM
The stock throttle body flows plenty and you won't see much if any gains from it. The only case where they would help is if you have a KB or Whipple and trying to push big boost.

MustangChuck
12-02-2008, 10:18 PM
So basically just save all the induction work (i.e. throttle body, throttle body spacer, MAF, super/turbocharger, etc.) to be done all at once?

05yellowgt
12-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Well what kind of forced induction are you looking into?

MustangChuck
12-02-2008, 10:24 PM
EVENTUALLY (probably a year or two down the road) I was looking into twin turbo. But I have also heard good things about the supercharger. The reason why I was looking into a twin turbo is because I want more power available to me and I was told that a twin turbo beats a supercharger in this aspect because of the fact that it is more efficient. In regards to the turbo lag, i've been told that if I get a medium size turbo and a big turbo, i'll wont experience much lag because the exhaust pressure on a big V-8 is more than enough to quickly turn a medium sized turbo.

05yellowgt
12-02-2008, 10:25 PM
The 3v platform is light years ahead of a 5.0 stock for stock. You simply don't pickup the power on them with things like MAF's throttle bodies, throttle body spacers, ect like you did in the push rod, or even 2v 4.6 days.

05yellowgt
12-02-2008, 10:37 PM
EVENTUALLY (probably a year or two down the road) I was looking into twin turbo. But I have also heard good things about the supercharger. The reason why I was looking into a twin turbo is because I want more power available to me and I was told that a twin turbo beats a supercharger in this aspect because of the fact that it is more efficient. In regards to the turbo lag, i've been told that if I get a medium size turbo and a big turbo, i'll wont experience much lag because the exhaust pressure on a big V-8 is more than enough to quickly turn a medium sized turbo.
Either route, turbo or SC will make more than enough power to split a stock motor. I am going the Procharger route myself. Twin Screws are great too as well as turbo's. It just depends what you want out of the car.

I did basically all the bolt on mods to my car over the last 3 years and now I am going with the supercharger. The only pieces I am throwing away now will be the JLT cold air intake. I wouldn't let future plans stop you from doing things now. Enjoy the car now and let the mods grow and change as you add to the car. An intake and tune can make a really nice seat of the pants difference on these cars. I wouldn't hesitate doing it again.

wht_stang
12-03-2008, 12:34 AM
Basically the adapter is needed because the dual throttle body is oval shaped. Where as the KN is just circular. I believe this is correct.

MustangChuck
12-03-2008, 01:33 AM
Either route, turbo or SC will make more than enough power to split a stock motor. I am going the Procharger route myself. Twin Screws are great too as well as turbo's. It just depends what you want out of the car.

I did basically all the bolt on mods to my car over the last 3 years and now I am going with the supercharger. The only pieces I am throwing away now will be the JLT cold air intake. I wouldn't let future plans stop you from doing things now. Enjoy the car now and let the mods grow and change as you add to the car. An intake and tune can make a really nice seat of the pants difference on these cars. I wouldn't hesitate doing it again.

Should I worry about the internals of the engine when im going for forced induction or should they stay together fine until i reach a certain horsepower level?

wht_stang
12-03-2008, 02:49 AM
Should I worry about the internals of the engine when im going for forced induction or should they stay together fine until i reach a certain horsepower level?
It should handle 8-10 pounds of boost fine.

cobrajoe
12-03-2008, 06:01 AM

Where you getting that from? The rotating assy. might be on the weak side, but the new 05+ aluminum 3v blocks are supposed to be good for some big power. You dress the block ie: relieve the sharp edges,etc and they are supposed to be able to support upwards of over 1000hp.

read this quote from a article in 5.0

Livernois' Three-Valve strokers begin with a production S197 aluminum block, unless a customer has another preference. Livernois' supervisor of engine development, Mike Schropp, considers these light but strong blocks to be sturdy enough to contain upward of 1,500 hp once the company's simple-but-labor- intensive modifications are performed.

Here's the article:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0804_mustang_3_valve_stroker/index.html

I'm gonna go with one of their stroker assembly's or possibly a short block in the future. It's all according to the funds/time etc.

05yellowgt
12-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Where you getting that from? The rotating assy. might be on the weak side, but the new 05+ aluminum 3v blocks are supposed to be good for some big power. You dress the block ie: relieve the sharp edges,etc and they are supposed to be able to support upwards of over 1000hp.

read this quote from a article in 5.0

Livernois' Three-Valve strokers begin with a production S197 aluminum block, unless a customer has another preference. Livernois' supervisor of engine development, Mike Schropp, considers these light but strong blocks to be sturdy enough to contain upward of 1,500 hp once the company's simple-but-labor- intensive modifications are performed.

Here's the article:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0804_mustang_3_valve_stroker/index.html

I'm gonna go with one of their stroker assembly's or possibly a short block in the future. It's all according to the funds/time etc.
I guess using the word split was a poor choice of words. Throw a rod, or destroy a piston would have been a better choice. Yes the BLOCK itself is very strong but the shortblock is not. The stock internals are weak, with hypereutectic pistons and cast rods.

05yellowgt
12-03-2008, 04:49 PM
With a good tune the stock shortblock can live a nice long life. Of course that is never a guarantee but 450rwhp is common place these days with an acceptable margin for safety.

MustangChuck
12-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Ok. So when going for the bigger horsepower numbers what should I consider replacing aside from the rods and pistons?

05yellowgt
12-03-2008, 07:40 PM
While you are in there replacing the cast crank with a forged cobra crank isn't a bad idea. Having said that, the cast crank is supposed to be pretty strong on its own, I've heard 600rwhp thrown around as the limit on it. I've always been of the mindset that if you are going to do something, go ahead and eliminate as many problems as you can for future insurance. Lets say you are only planning on 550rwhp as the highest power you plan on making but down the road the itch gets you convinced you now want to try and push 700rwhp, well if you didn't replace the cast crank now you will worry about it in the back of your mind where as with the forged crank will make you pretty much worry free.