PDA

View Full Version : 331 help

Orodi
12-03-2008, 04:32 PM
ok I cannot get my car to start at all......it's getting fuel for sure i'm pretty sure spark but when i got to turn it over it wont start everything is brand new so nothing should be broken......i could have the wrong push rod length but I am not sure I have measured it with a tool and got the same answer 6.050 so here is where i am at a s far a s parts cold air 30lb fuel injectors/w mass air 331 d.s.s. AFR 185 heads full tube headers msd ignition....someone said something about when you use a pro billet distributor you have to turn id 180 degrees for it to work but I have no idea what that means

facemelter71
12-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Never heard of turning the distributor like that.Just line it up like you normaly would on a stock distributor.And for some reason your pushrod length seems kinda short.I think stock pushrods are like 6.250 or some thing close to that.I have the same DSS 331 here at work,but I have edelbrock heads and my push rods are 6.25 or 6.3,havent really checked them again.What do you have the distributor set at right now?

Orodi
12-03-2008, 05:48 PM
I set the distributor to 15 degrees....i tried 10 as well......i also have a set of stock length pushrods but if i put them in i have to dick with the locking nuts on the rockers and then they sound all wierd and they are loose......i dunno maybe i am doing it wrong....i just ried to star it again now I have what i think was the problems starring me in the face....the best description i can give you is when you open the door the dome light flickers on and off like it had a switch on it but nothing now comes on...i check the fuses.....the battery is charged not new but charged.......f-ing mystery machine

facemelter71
12-03-2008, 07:30 PM
The only other thing you have not checked for sure is the spark.Make sure you have spark when you need it.Also make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks.Go through the basics before you start naming other things.

Rick93coupe
12-03-2008, 07:34 PM
How familiar are you with setting the timing on a mustang?

1992MustangDW
12-03-2008, 07:40 PM
sounds like a ground.

Orodi
12-03-2008, 08:07 PM
i have setup the timing a couple times before but i have not touched a car for a year and some change from being in Iraq.......i know nothing about electrical work so i think i am going to take it some where and have it worked on i don't even want to mess with something i don't have a clue about

Rick93coupe
12-03-2008, 08:16 PM
What all did you change on the car? Did you pull the distributor out?

Orodi
12-03-2008, 08:19 PM
i changed the timing from 10 to 15 degrees and the motor was on tdc when i put it in

Rick93coupe
12-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Ok, so you had #1 cylinder on TDC, did you check the balancer to make sure it was on zero at the same time and the rotor button was pointing at #1 on the cap?
An easy way to check for spark is to pull a plug wire and put a screwdriver in the end of the wire, hold it by the handle (so as not to shock yourself) and have a friend crank over the motor. You'll need to hold the metal part of the screwdriver close to something metal for the spark to jump to. If you can see the spark jump, then you have fire. Does this make sense?

I have to leave but I'll check this later. Good luck.

Blowpastyou
12-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Im curious how you know you changed the timing from 10 to 15deg. without the car running?

Orodi
12-03-2008, 09:59 PM
mechanically changed it from 10 degrees to 15....................... i found the problem it is not mechanical it is electrical i think i popped the ECM fuse because i made a mistake by hooking up the ground wire for my MSD box to the negative battery terminal