PDA

View Full Version : Fix a Flat problems??????

jaystang44
12-05-2008, 12:47 AM
any body have problems with the fix a flats

I bought a 16 oz bottle, dont remember what kind, for one of my tires. Used the whole thing as instructed. Now it feels like the stuff didnt sit in the tire right because my car shakes pretty bad now when I get onto the high way. tire stays inflated now though :rolleyes: You think this problem is from the fix a flat stuff or something else?????

any help or suggestions would be nice

Thanks in advance

Mista Bone
12-05-2008, 12:52 AM
how long did you drive the care after using the stuff?

Rick93coupe
12-05-2008, 12:54 AM
Hopefully he drove it right away like it says on the can, otherwise it will set up in one spot. Think "my cousin Vinny".... You got mud in your tires.

jaystang44
12-05-2008, 01:06 AM
I drove it for about 10 min right after I put it in. then the next day I jumped onto the high way and it started shaking.... Im guessing like rick said it all set up in one spot still.... I figured thats what it was...

PonymanfiveO
12-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Fix a flat is a band-aid. Never use it unless you have to. That stuff is nasty as hell!

It will be unbalanced and shake till the end of time now. its also probably on the inside of the wheel. So the next tire that gets mounted will be hard as hell to balance as well.

Mike
12-05-2008, 01:51 AM
Fix a flat is a band-aid. Never use it unless you have to. That stuff is nasty as hell!

It will be unbalanced and shake till the end of time now. its also probably on the inside of the wheel. So the next tire that gets mounted will be hard as hell to balance as well.

x2. That shit is emergency type shit, made to last you until you can get to goodyear to get your tire repaired the right way.

Mista Bone
12-05-2008, 02:15 AM
I drove it for about 10 min right after I put it in. then the next day I jumped onto the high way and it started shaking.... Im guessing like rick said it all set up in one spot still.... I figured thats what it was...

should have drove about 100 miles at 65+ mph.

Go buy a new PAIR of tires, make sure to warn them of the explosion propellant you used in your tire while trying to stop a leak.

mustangjon
12-05-2008, 07:59 AM
as said its a bandaid, worst case scenario type, it ruins wheels (its corrosive, its explosive) and really doesnt work unless its a pinhole only. Oh if you have a newer car, it will ruin the 50-100 dollar sensors for air pressure. The stuff can freeze and turn to a block of ice, it will always cause a vibration frozen or not because you added fluid thats sitting in the tire now. Get the tire repaired asap, before it does permanent damage to wheel. We in the tire industry wish they would just ban the useless shit

stang85vert
12-05-2008, 08:37 AM
fix a flat dont set up it stays in a water form and what it is doning is throwing your tire out of balance and what it will do is eat your rim caise it has a very stong acid in it smells almost like rubbing achol best thing to do is take it and have it fixed if the tire can be shouldn't be more than like 15 dollars to have it fixed

IWRBB
12-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Fix-a-flat sucks for sure, bad on the rim too as mentioned.

On a side note, I use Slime in the tires on things like a wheelbarrow. Works great at keeping them sealed up.

BigBadStang
12-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Yep... use in case of emergency, when no other option is available, then get it repaired/replaced, and get that shit cleaned out of there!

Goldenpony
12-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Fix a Flat is garbage. The only canned inflator worth buying is called Tire Jack. It costs more, but it is safe and I believe non-explosive.

Mista Bone
12-07-2008, 02:04 AM
Fix-a-flat works FINE if you drive the tire long enough at speed for it to cure.

I had to use it for a small nail in a tire while on the northside of Columbus. Drove home on that tire at 30 psi on the right front @ 65 mph down 71. I've put 45-50k miles on that tire since without balance or leakage issues.

jaystang44
12-07-2008, 02:17 PM
well it sealed the leak its just off balance now..... Im replacing the rim anyway so no problem there but I hate having to replace two fairly new tires

Goldenpony
12-07-2008, 03:48 PM
If you use Fix a Flat, BE SURE to tell onyone that works on that tire it's in there. There have been serious injuries, even deaths caused by the gas exploding.

IWRBB
12-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Actually, there was a lawsuit, and all cans of fix-a-flat are non-flammable. It's been that way for a while. The perception remains though, obviously.

Goldenpony
12-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Actually, there was a lawsuit, and all cans of fix-a-flat are non-flammable. It's been that way for a while. The perception remains though, obviously.

Good to know, thanks.

BigBadStang
12-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Still a good idea to tell the tire tech...I used to hate dismounting tires not knowing that shit was in there...it ALWAYS splashed out all over me and the tire machine. :mad:

facemelter71
12-08-2008, 10:47 AM
I can get alot of cans of Tire Jack.That stuff is awesome.
I want to say I can get them for like a dollar a can.