PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have access to an infrared camera I can borrow/rent?

Paul408Notch
12-05-2008, 01:49 PM
I want to take a look at my house to figure out where all of my heat is going, so I'd like to borrow/rent an IR camera for a day. I got my gas and electric bill for Nov and it was almost $300. And it wasn't even that cold through Nov. I know there are people that you can hire to come do it, but I'm stubborn and won't pay that much.

So yeah, if you have one or know where I could rent one, let me know. :D

Mista Bone
12-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Paul, I assumed you verified both meters were read correctly for billing purposes???

bestracing
12-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Sorry I can't help you. I have access to IR Cameras but they don't allow us to take them home since they cost $100K - $200K each.

facemelter71
12-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Just saw a handheld one on cool tool on TV.It was 20 g's.
Paul,your going to have to break down and find a guy to do it.

holeshot
12-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Can I borrow it too??

Every year I put plastic over my windows and tape off every window frame, door jam, etc....and I still get raped in heating costs. I spend around 2K between Nov-March for LP and my electric bill goes up an additional $150-$200 during those months for my electric heaters. All that and my house is still a balmy 60 degrees!
Of course I live in a 150 year old solid stone farmhouse with no insulation and 10 foot tall ceilings but still...winter SUCKS!!

Mista Bone
12-05-2008, 05:12 PM
paging "This Old House"........

or maybe the Green Channel

Xowner
12-05-2008, 08:07 PM
know any one that maybe works for the fire department? they have them dont they?

NUTTSGT
12-05-2008, 09:52 PM
know any one that maybe works for the fire department? they have them dont they?

I doubt they let you borrow it. Although if you have a buddy on the FD, they might stop buy and make a house call.

You didn't get hit with an anniversary budget bill did you, having to pay the extra that wasn't covered by the monthly budget?

Mavowar
12-07-2008, 10:52 AM
I want to take a look at my house to figure out where all of my heat is going, so I'd like to borrow/rent an IR camera for a day. I got my gas and electric bill for Nov and it was almost $300. And it wasn't even that cold through Nov. I know there are people that you can hire to come do it, but I'm stubborn and won't pay that much.

So yeah, if you have one or know where I could rent one, let me know. :D

That's cheap mine is $600.00 or more from nov to feb:tard:
I have old fashioned steam heat an old house and drafts that rival the NFL And NBA:D

barkey
12-07-2008, 05:50 PM
http://www.duke-energy.com/ohio/savings/home-energy-house-call.asp

zippy94
12-07-2008, 06:07 PM
I have insulation guy that Blow insulation in walls in older houses that are not insulated. If intrested I can give you his number. I am a certified Energy STAR builder. And and the main problem with older houses is wall cavity not insulated, Drafty windows doors. Paul your house will look like a Christmas tree under IR.

Paul408Notch
12-07-2008, 11:01 PM
http://www.duke-energy.com/ohio/savings/home-energy-house-call.asp

That's pretty cool that they do that! Only problem is that I've only been here 2.5 months or so now. I'll try them in a month or so if they're still doing it when I've been here 4 months like they ask.

I have insulation guy that Blow insulation in walls in older houses that are not insulated. If intrested I can give you his number. I am a certified Energy STAR builder. And and the main problem with older houses is wall cavity not insulated, Drafty windows doors. Paul your house will look like a Christmas tree under IR.

You should come up and see the house Zip. I bet you're right on the walls, but I have a feeling most of the heat is going up and out right now. Probably needs a bit more insulation up there. I went crazy sealing up gaps this weekend with the expanding foam, so hopefully that stuff at least makes a dent in things.