PDA

View Full Version : Best hp gain for the $$$?

PONYGRL
12-06-2008, 08:16 PM
I just figured I'd go ahead and post this.... I was wondering what some of you guys would suggest to get the most horsepower gain for the money.

I am thinking about competing next year in the ww dd finally! I dont have unlimited funds to spend, but was wondering if I did a couple things to my car, what would you suggest?

I don't want it to be some stuff completely outlandish... just some simple things that can make a difference.

One thing I would like to do first off is get an intake... I was considering K&N, BBK or a Roush kit, then getting a programmer. Chris has a Hyperpac programmer and it's pretty cool, but SCT makes some also.

I'd appreciate any info or advice you guys would have for me.... I am excited and want to start my "wish list" soon!

R825OH
12-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Did you get your car?

PONYGRL
12-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Well, check out the new name... there is no longer a "2b!"

R825OH
12-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah I ws just thinking that.....well ..where are the pictures?????????????

Buckeye
12-06-2008, 08:26 PM
5.0 or 4.6?

Ether way Spray is best bang for buck however I dislike it

Dirtyd0g
12-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Sometimes gaining horsepower isn't the best way to make the car faster or more fun. Gears are always a great addition. On auto's a converter will do more than just about any mod you can do.
Alan

PONYGRL
12-06-2008, 08:29 PM

Dont have any yet but will soon enough. It's been crappy so I haven't had the chance.

R825OH
12-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I agree with Dirtydog gears are a great addition. Is the car brand new?? Is there a warranty involved?

PONYGRL
12-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Sometimes gaining horsepower isn't the best way to make the car faster or more fun. Gears are always a great addition. On auto's a converter will do more than just about any mod you can do.
Alan

What would you reccommend? It's a 4.6, 5 speed.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/YerSecksy/CAR1.jpg

I'm open to jus about anything... now that I have a "real" car I'd like to expand my car knowledge & actually start learning some more stuff.

PONYGRL
12-06-2008, 08:35 PM
I agree with Dirtydog gears are a great addition. Is the car brand new?? Is there a warranty involved?

Yes and yes. I also got an extended warranty so I have to be a lil careful about what I do. I'll get it all professionally done...either by ford or at md or cs.

SN95N/A
12-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Nice car.

Buckeye
12-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Gears
Sticky tires
maybe upper and lower control arms (not sure if stocks197's need them)
tubular k-member to help with weight transfer
Skinnies
Also I think the roush blower kit does not void warrenty if i remember correct

PaulFiveOh
12-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Spray and Gears and a chip are the best 3 upgrades for the money conscience.

PONYGRL
12-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys....what would be the best gears to get?

cobrajoe
12-06-2008, 10:03 PM
auto or sticky? You'll need a programmer for anything you plan on doing outside maybe the CAI or axle back.

Dirtyd0g
12-07-2008, 01:56 AM
For a daily driver I would go 3.73's You will need to tune it when you do it to correct the speedometer. That depends on year to some extent. I think anything 98up has to be done in the tune. I'm sure a couple of the tuners here know for sure which year the change was made to read on the rear wheel speed sensors instead of the vehicle speed sensor.
Alan

IWRBB
12-07-2008, 11:52 AM
KB 2.8H. Fuck the gears, you won't need them with another 150 HP. The warranty will only be voided on the drivetrain, and MD can tune it to keep it in one piece.

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-07-2008, 12:08 PM
If you have the cash, i like Ford's drag pack options...i think it's like cai, headers, gears and a retune or something like that.

PONYGRL
12-07-2008, 05:21 PM
If you have the cash, i like Ford's drag pack options...i think it's like cai, headers, gears and a retune or something like that.

We talked to an older guy at a cruise a couple months ago about that. The only downside to the drag pack would be the headers. I plan to get borla off-road header and x pipe, or Roush off-road exhaust.

This week, I might order some exterior stuff though. I think for now, all I want to buy is a Roush hood scoop and the Roush wing... then after that the louvers. I don't have the money to do it all right now, so I'll piece the rest together as I can afford it.

Plus an intake and a tune, that might be a good start.

cstreu1026
12-07-2008, 05:52 PM
I think FRPP offers a whipple kit that maintains the warranty. You can't beat that.

If you don't go that route then I would say 4.10's gears. Mod motor cars love the short gears and I from other posts it doesn't like you drive a lot of miles. The 4.10 will be a real blast around town.

PONYGRL
12-07-2008, 05:58 PM
I think FRPP offers a whipple kit that maintains the warranty. You can't beat that.

If you don't go that route then I would say 4.10's gears. Mod motor cars love the short gears and I from other posts it doesn't like you drive a lot of miles. The 4.10 will be a real blast around town.

Yeah, 4.10 wouldn't be bad. This is my dd too so I'm not going to do anything too outrageous. And no, I don't drive TOO much... I live right by school and can carpool with my mom to work on snowy days.

My goal next year is to be around #4 on the ww dd, assuming I get a couple things done in the meantime.

67Terror
12-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Forget the exterior mods and shoot for sleeper. I'd go 4.10's and exhaust and then a whipple or kb :D

PONYGRL
12-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Forget the exterior mods and shoot for sleeper. I'd go 4.10's and exhaust and then a whipple or kb :D

That's proabably what I'll end up doing Jeff, the more I think about it. It's just a matter of what to do first! Once I start working full time again, it will make things a little easier.

PONYGRL
12-08-2008, 01:46 PM

And here is a thread I just started w/pictures-
http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49178

Check it out.

NXcoupe
12-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Programmer first, you will need that for any other mod you do. That will give you good power. Next, JLT CAI, use the tuner to tune for that and pick up some more power. 4.10 gears, need the tuner to correct for the speedo. Next, put an off road set of headers and an H, X or ProChamber on it, need the tuner to turn off the rear O2
s and to get a/f corrected for the increase in exhaust flow. That should be a 12 sec ride with drag radials or slicks.