PDA

View Full Version : 3v guys ever have spark plug seperate?

1992MustangDW
12-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Brisk racing makes a new 1 piece spark plug and say it is good till 3000 hp. I dont know how true that is, but your plugs wont get stuck in the head.

cstreu1026
12-11-2008, 06:02 PM
I know rscoupe has used several sets of them in 3v projects in his shop. They are a lot nicer but damn are they expensive.

plattner01
12-11-2008, 09:36 PM
worth looking into

1992MustangDW
12-11-2008, 10:40 PM
I wish i would think of something to make big money one day lol

Rich
12-11-2008, 11:39 PM
The 3v spark plug problem is a huge issue in the 5.4v trucks...not sure about the 4.6 though.

DeckerEnt
12-12-2008, 12:41 AM
What years?? Mine is an 05 in an expedition.
Keith

PonymanfiveO
12-12-2008, 02:09 AM
Brisk racing makes a new 1 piece spark plug and say it is good till 3000 hp. I dont know how true that is, but your plugs wont get stuck in the head.

The Brisk plugs are bad ass. They are pricey though.

I have the special tool to remove seperated spark plugs if anyone ever needs help with one. ;)

redripper
12-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Yes, I just went through this about 2 months ago. I had 5 break off in the heads. I pulled them to replace them with the brisk racing plug. DO NOT buy the Rotunda tool from snap on it sucks not worth 300 bux. You have to be able to get the porcelin spelling out of the head for it to work. Pain in the ass to do. You need to purchase the Lisle tool part number 65600. This tool pushes the remaining porcelin into the lower half of the plug alowing the extractor tool to pull the rest out. Worked flawless on my truck. In fact I will sell you mine for 100 bux. Dont need it any more since I dont have the crap ass ford design of the one piece plug. I did a crap load of research before I pulled the plugs on mine. My truck had 34--0 miles on it when I did it. I did the fuel injector cleaner, penatrating oil, engine being warm to the touch, still broke 5. Take your time be patient thats what I did and drank a fifth of burbon and waaalaaa got them all out no engine damage. Your new brisk plugs need to be pulled every 20000 miles based on their recomendations and regaped. I have not had a problem out of mine for the last 4000 miles. Send me pm with your number if you need help, if im off work ill give you a hand.

BRAD

NXcoupe
12-13-2008, 11:01 AM
I am now a stocking dealer of Brisk racing plugs. I will have the new plugs for the 08 up GT's as soon as they release them after the first of the year. Watch for specials on these in January/February. They are the best solution/answer to the crap design that ford came out with. It is also the only way to get full potential out of a forced induction or nitrous 3V. Sorry to hear about your 5 broken plugs, I would be interested in that tool.

KenB
12-13-2008, 02:15 PM
worth looking into

No need, you already have them.

The Brisk plugs are bad ass. They are pricey though.

I have the special tool to remove seperated spark plugs if anyone ever needs help with one. ;)

Actually they are not all that much more expensive than the HT0. Especially considering how much easier they are to gap.

We use these plugs in Vinny Barber's 3v car if that gives you any hint at what I think about them. We've been using them for some time now and are very happy with the results.

plattner01
12-13-2008, 04:34 PM
No need, you already have them.

who says you never learn something each day:bigthumb:lol::lol:

05yellowgt
12-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Brisk is the only plug I will run in my 3v build. The 08 plugs are a revised design that look a lot more like a traditional plug, and As rscoupe said Brisk will have cooler heat range 08 plugs out towards the beginning of 09.

Goldenpony
01-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Been there, done that, bought the Tee shirt.
I started reading horror stories about Ford's little "time bomb" a couple of years ago. Over a year ago I bought a new set of Autolite (also a crap 2 piece plug), a can of Ford carb cleaner and a can of Permatex nickel anti-seize and went to work, following the Ford TSB to the letter. The second plug snapped off in the head. At this point, I threw in the towel and called AAA and they trucked my wounded pony to Beechmont Ford.
The story gets worse. First, I called the shop and they told me they might have to pull the heads, THEY broke off 5 more plugs. They told me they had talked to Ford and they were going to fix it free. Time passes.
A couple days later, I get a call, the car is ready, they didn't have to pull the heads. With a smile on my face, I went to pick my baby up. When I got there, I was presented a bill for $600 plus. When I asked about the free repair I was told about, they said "Oh, we had the wrong Mustang". I wrote the check & left.
I bought a set of the new Champion one piece, double platinum plugs (#7989) and pulled out the plugs Beechmont had installed (another set of 2 piece plugs). These plugs were so phuked up, they were totally covered with anti-seize, I'm surprised the engine ran at all. I put anti-seize on just the lower shield of the new Champions (like it's supposed to be) and gapped them to .044" and installed them to 25 ft/lbs. That was 14,000 miles ago and the car still runs like a top.
The next phase of the story: I sent a very detailed e-mail to Ford Customer relations outlining the whole Gorey story. I also e-mailed the owner of Beechmont Ford. I basically told them I had come over from "the dark side" with my first Mustang in 1980 and from that time I had purchased 5 new Mustangs and said there wouldn't be a sixth. A little more time passes.
Some time later, I had my baby into Beechmont service dept. for an air bag recall. I was sitting in the waiting room and the service manager sought me out and presented me with a check for the total amount I had been charged for the repair. I was happy about the way it was resolved, but am very unhappy the faulty design ever made it to production. Why in hell didn't Ford design a better head (they now have). Why in hell didn't they spec. out a one piece spark plug to be used in this engine? Currently, Motorcraft and Autolite plugs are still the faulty 2 piece design, a design Ford stupidly tells owners to leave in their engines for 100,000 miles. The Beechmont service manager told me face to face, "if people leave these plugs for 100,000 miles, they'll be buying new heads".
One can only hope the numb nuts engineer responsible for this design is now working at Wendy's.