PDA

View Full Version : 86 coupe 2.3t

zlou363lx
12-16-2008, 01:58 AM
my dad bought an 86 coupe mustang with the idea of putting a stroked 351W in it, but has since been talked into keeping it a 4 cylinder by my mother lol. however, he found a wrecked 88 t-bird turbo coupe and bought it. it's at least going to be a 4 cylinder still...she doesn't need to get the turbo spooled all the way :D

i bougth a few things for it so far...
stinger turbo header
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/startthesho/header.jpg
stinger 3" downpipe
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/startthesho/downpipe.jpg

and a little holset hx35 turbo:bigthumb
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/startthesho/hx35.jpg

right now the turbo on the engine will stay on it. it's a turbonetics turbo that replaced the stock turbo. once we get the engine in the car(not sure when that happens yet lol) and i get a new 3" downpipe made(any ideas as to where i could have it done?) for the holset i'm going to swap it on

DeckerEnt
12-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Sounds like a cool project. Keep us posted!! Carl, usafstang, and Kevin, Dedpedal both built a turbo 4 stang. Well Kevin built it and sold it to Carl. Then Carl went from there. PM both if you run into any problems.
Keith

Stangman
12-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Awesome man! Wheres the pics?!?

zlou363lx
12-16-2008, 12:05 PM
umm i've given you some pics of the new stuff for it :) lol.

here is the car...it looks terrible haha
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/startthesho/thomas/Picture030.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/startthesho/thomas/Picture027.jpg

by the way, jesse, do you have a t-5 bellhousing for a 4cylinder by chance?

graysonracin
12-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Looks pretty straight just needs some paint. That will be a fun car to drive, good luck with it.:bigthumb

Stangman
12-16-2008, 01:29 PM
by the way, jesse, do you have a t-5 bellhousing for a 4cylinder by chance?

Actually, I HAD one. But I can get it back If you need it. Gimme a couple days and I will see what I can do.

I'll trade you for your drivers door! :lol::lol:

Maximus
12-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Looks pretty straight just needs some paint. That will be a fun car to drive, good luck with it.:bigthumb

Heck no! Leave it alone and put some good tires on those rims.....SLEEPER.:bigthumb

Stangman
12-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Heck no! Leave it alone and put some good tires on those rims.....SLEEPER.:bigthumb

YES! Just throw some 10-holes on it with some good rubber! :bigthumb

zlou363lx
12-16-2008, 03:25 PM

lol i want to leave it looking like this. my dad wants to paint it. i think that he is going to put a sealing primer on it next spring. i think he is going to run my cobra wheels on it. other than that i would like to leave it how it is on the outside.

i need a wastegate for it. any idea as to what size i should get for running 18psi daily and pushing it up to around 25 for fun?

mustangboy
12-19-2008, 02:23 PM
I may have a bellhousing for it. I have one but not sure what it is off of, what should I look for to find out for sure?

Carl
12-19-2008, 11:59 PM
I may have a bellhousing as well. Although the more I think about it...it's a mechanical clutch b-housing. Lemme look...

zlou363lx
12-20-2008, 02:11 AM
for anyone looking for a bell-housing for me: we are going to use the hydraulic one as of now. if we change our minds we will let you know lol. thanks for looking though

Carl
12-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Mine is mechanical...sorry.

zlou363lx
12-22-2008, 01:38 AM
that's what i wanted, but my dad wants to use the hydraulic clutch set-up. so we're just going to use the one we have. thanks though

zlou363lx
11-18-2009, 02:09 AM
finally my dad and i have gotten moving on this thing again:lol:

we are taking an autobody class at Live Oaks, and our project is this good ole 86 coupe that we have. so we are learning to paint, and getting this knocked out all at once. today i used a DA sander so much that my hands felt like i was still doing it about an hour after. lol oh well. small price to pay. since the car is out of my way tonight i went out back to finally get the 2.3t onto a stand and start cleaning it up, and just for kicks i mocked the stinger header and holset hx35 turbo up. i can't wait to get this done now! here are a few pics of the engine. i need to clean it up, but i was getting too tired to be out there.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/startthesho/23tb.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/startthesho/23t.jpg

also i'm picking up an intercooler tomorrow from blake. so i'm happy about that. i still need a lot of stuff though lol

that's all for now

mustangboy
11-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Glad to see you guys did not give up on it and even better did a father son project, that is cool. If you guys still need any coating done you know where to find me.

zlou363lx
11-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Glad to see you guys did not give up on it and even better did a father son project, that is cool. If you guys still need any coating done you know where to find me.

i'll still be bringing you some of the stuff to coat. just need to find the time, and get the money from him lol

Carl
11-18-2009, 12:07 PM
What are you going to use for engine management?

93hulk
11-18-2009, 12:46 PM
cool project.

zlou363lx
11-18-2009, 03:40 PM
What are you going to use for engine management?

at the moment we have the stock ecm, an LA3 and harness, from the TC that the motor came from. what would you recommend for a piggyback or standalone?

Carl
11-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Unless you are going to put the VAM back on it you can't run the LA3 without a chip. And there is no way I personally would put the VAM in front of that turbo. You could go for Big Stuff 3, Megasquirt or TwEECer. Theres a ton of options, you just need to figure out what you want to do.
I personally am doing a ton of research right now on switching to Megasquirt, since I am going to rebuild my 2.3 and go bigger turbo-wise and switch it over to a MAF.

zlou363lx
11-18-2009, 10:17 PM
BS3 is too rich for me lol. tweecer looks to be pretty good(to me). can you not do MAF with tweecer?

Waffles
11-19-2009, 12:28 AM
Hey, I know a guy you all are doin the class with. He's an off-road guy named Mike "Carwash" Karvath. Cool dude, known him a looooooong time.

zlou363lx
11-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Hey, I know a guy you all are doin the class with. He's an off-road guy named Mike "Carwash" Karvath. Cool dude, known him a looooooong time.

he's the guy that does welding stuff, right? if so he is cool. he helped me spray some primer on my car last night lol. he and i are rattle can masters:lol:

Waffles
11-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Yep, that's him. We used to run Jeeps together when I was into that thing instead of the Mustangs. He's a really good guy.

zlou363lx
11-19-2009, 01:42 AM
carl, does your engine have this setup on it? i looks to me like the oil is cooled by coolant lines? is there a way that i can lose that setup, and just use a real oil cooler if one is even absolutely necessary on this app(it very well may be)? i don't like how the hoses run next to the turbo/head on the passenger side from the oil filter location. here is a pic of what i'm talking about.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/startthesho/1119090013a.jpg

zlou363lx
11-19-2009, 01:46 AM
also here is the other turbo that we have for this. it is a turbonetics turbo, but it is oil lube and coolant cooled. i find that kind of odd as most turbos are oil cooled/lubed, right? the previous owner said that it ran 22psi, and could do more. we haven't found anything that he lied to us about yet, so we believe him lol.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/startthesho/1119090013.jpg

Carl
11-19-2009, 12:15 PM
BS3 is too rich for me lol. tweecer looks to be pretty good(to me). can you not do MAF with tweecer?
Yeah, BS3 is big money. I actually found another option tonight while surfing around. It called Quarter Horse by Moates(http://www.moates.net/) Right at $250 and it's a piggyback.

You can do a MAF with TwEECer, but it's all in the .bin file that you have to change.

carl, does your engine have this setup on it? i looks to me like the oil is cooled by coolant lines? is there a way that i can lose that setup, and just use a real oil cooler if one is even absolutely necessary on this app(it very well may be)? i don't like how the hoses run next to the turbo/head on the passenger side from the oil filter location. here is a pic of what i'm talking about.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/startthesho/1119090013a.jpg

Honestly, I can't remember. But mine is from an 88 TC as well so I'm sure it's the same. I haven't messed with it at all but I'm sure that you should be able to block off the coolant lines and run a remote filter with a cooler. Anything can be done, it's just how much money and time you want to invest. I have an adapter that will change the filter mount from horizontal to vertical that is waiting for the rebuild.

What kinda of turbo is that in last picture? What model? Have you looked at the compressor map for it yet. I am going to swing for an HX35 or HY35 when I start playing.

zlou363lx
11-19-2009, 01:11 PM
i read a little bit about the Quarter Horse yesterday on Stinger's forums. i'll have to check it out some more.

i'm not sure of the model on the turbonetics turbo. i will check that out tonight when i get home, and look at the map for it.

R825OH
11-19-2009, 01:31 PM

Hahaha I know him too! He used to be into mountain biking also. Tell him BillyB said "hi":bigthumb

zlou363lx
12-01-2009, 11:23 PM
update. we have it in primer! lol
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/startthesho/coupe.jpg

NXcoupe
12-01-2009, 11:57 PM
That oil cooler should just come off by removing the threaded part that the oil filter screws onto, then just replace that part with one of the shorter threaded pieces off of a regular 2.3. I think. I need to see if mine has the same thing on it. I am using a 93 harness and computer because it is maf factory. I am going to sct chip tune mine, well because it's the easiest for me being an sct tuner. Moates I have heard a lot of good things about, basically a tweecer, and yes if you have a maf computer from a 92-93, the moates should work and allow mass air.
USAFstang do you have a link to the maps on those HX35 and HY35 turbos? I want to get something better than stock, but not too big. What power do you both plan to make?
Primer looks good for sure. Who's the teacher for that class? The regular day instructor or someone else? I used to work with the day guys down there.

zlou363lx
12-02-2009, 12:10 AM
we're aiming for around 250whp with the turbonetics turbo and stock computer. when i can talk my dad into getting the quarterhorse i will put the hx35 on it with bigger injectors and a big maf along with other support, and go from there. my dad doesn't want it to get too crazy since my mom will be driving it sometimes though. i'll just turn the boost down! haha.

the teacher of the class is alan smith? i know his first name is alan for sure lol.

zlou363lx
12-02-2009, 12:28 AM
mike, i can't find any maps for the hx35, maybe carl has one or can find one. also i saw pics of your coupe in the january issue of 5.0. "we dig the paint layout on mad matt johnson's clean coupe" (something like that was written lol)

RACEME
12-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Unless you are going to put the VAM back on it you can't run the LA3 without a chip. And there is no way I personally would put the VAM in front of that turbo. You could go for Big Stuff 3, Megasquirt or TwEECer. Theres a ton of options, you just need to figure out what you want to do.
I personally am doing a ton of research right now on switching to Megasquirt, since I am going to rebuild my 2.3 and go bigger turbo-wise and switch it over to a MAF.

If you are going megasquirt, then there is no need for the maf at all. They run a map sensor. I sold my maf to help pay for the wideband.

Carl
12-02-2009, 11:45 AM
USAFstang do you have a link to the maps on those HX35 and HY35 turbos? I want to get something better than stock, but not too big. What power do you both plan to make?

mike, i can't find any maps for the hx35, maybe carl has one or can find one.
Here is what I could find...can't find a valid HX map...rumors float around there being one, I sure as hell can't find it...

Here's the HY map...
http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/untitled15lj.jpg

If you are going megasquirt, then there is no need for the maf at all. They run a map sensor. I sold my maf to help pay for the wideband.This is going to be my route. No MAF...just a filter on the turbo inlet.

The primer looks good! Can't wait to see it all finished!

NXcoupe
12-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys. I don't want to go too big, but I don't want to limit it either. I want to be able to have 250 everyday and then 300 to 350 at the track or when I want to be stupid. A lot of that depends on the ar ratios of the housings too. I have to do a lot of research before I buy.
How long do those chinese turbo's last? usually?

zlou363lx
12-02-2009, 12:54 PM
mike, have you ever checked out stinger performance? it is all about 2.3t stuff. he has a good amount of info on using this turbo, and if you don't see an answer to something he can probably answer it for you. and he has an hx35 on a coupe that he runs in the 10s(of course he has supporting mods for it). i think that he is even on the stock block still.

NXcoupe
12-02-2009, 01:39 PM
wow, now is an HX35 a pretty big turbo? Is that what you had sitting on the side of yours? I have been on his site, but he's always out of everything he sells, lol.

zlou363lx
12-02-2009, 05:18 PM
yeah, he does seem to be out of stuff a lot. i picked up my stinger header and downpipe off of corral a lot cheaper and still unused lol. the hx35 is the black turbo in the first few pictures of the engine/turbo set-up

Carl
12-03-2009, 12:25 AM
I think his business has been hit from the economy...but you can still find his stuff out there some places.

NXcoupe
12-03-2009, 02:08 AM
So that HX35 isn't too big of a turbo for a little 2.3 street engine? Just don't want to have to wait to 4k for it to make boost, lol.

zlou363lx
12-03-2009, 10:17 AM
So that HX35 isn't too big of a turbo for a little 2.3 street engine? Just don't want to have to wait to 4k for it to make boost, lol.

from the FAQ section on stinger

Holset HX35: Great for engines in the 380-500rwhp range. Full boost at 3800rpm or so with a header and supporting mods. Pulls like a freight train in the higher rpm range. Great for street/strip cars in the 10-11 second 1/4 mile range. Loves 30+psi of boost. Split scroll exhaust housing causes boost control problems unless an external wastegate is used or the divider is cut out.

Carl
12-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Thats exactly why I am going with an HX....I don't mind reving it to the sky for boost. I'm looking at least for a 7k redline when I get done.

So Zach, what are you going to do with that HX you got??? :evilgrin:

zlou363lx
12-03-2009, 11:14 AM
holding on to it, and using it at some point down the road once we get whatever piggyback we do. lol.

i'm guessing that you don't have one yet?

NXcoupe
12-03-2009, 01:37 PM
So what's one step down from that turbo there?

Carl
12-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Nah, I can't seem to find one for a decent price yet. But once I get back stateside I will be able to talk to a few people.

Mike, you could go with a T3/T4 hybrid..?? Keep the boost a bit lower on the RPM scale and still run over 20lbs no problem.

NXcoupe
12-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Ok, so basically the same turbo that the 86's came with? What size would be good in that config?

Carl
12-04-2009, 12:12 AM
The 86's manuals came with a .63 T3, autos with a .48 housing. The 87-88's had the IHI(CRAP). I took my IHI off and bolted up an 83-84(oil cooled only) T3 for now, pushing 21lbs of fun, granted it is maxed out. Since your looking for lower RPM boosting, stick with a smaller exhaust housing, say .63-.68...ish. And run a T4 compressor side.

If I can't get my hands on a Holset, then I am going to run a hybrid.

zlou363lx
12-04-2009, 01:00 AM
carl, get on some dodge ram forums and see if any of them have a holset for sale that they upgraded from. that's how i got mine. i had to join some orlando forum for it. the guy sold it to me cheap too.

NXcoupe
12-04-2009, 02:48 AM
I thought that sounded familiar. Yeah, cummins uses those. I see those every once in a while when we get an old MRAP that they pull the engine out of, it's very similar to that turbo, if not the same.
I have one off of an 86 manual, so I will send that to a guy down south, he said he opens up the inlet and outlet, rebuilds the center and puts new wheels in it. Pretty reasonable too. I think that's the route I will go. I want 300+ hp and you know how addicting boost is, so I want to be able to grow with it a little. The ar does affect how quickly it spools, but isn't there a minimum as to how small on that holset you could go before it hits the wheel?

Carl
12-04-2009, 11:23 AM
I know the Holset's run a T3 turbine side, but what is the compressor side?

I found a site today that I can get a new garrett T4 comp side and wheel for under 300. Add in the rebuild kit and I'm still into a damn near new T3/T4 hybrid for under 450.

NXcoupe
12-04-2009, 03:02 PM
That's pretty good right? They do the work or you do it yourself? Got a link?

Carl
12-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Seems like a good price to me, you can't get a T3/T4 hybrid for under 600-700 that isn't a cheap knock off.

http://www.turbocharged.com/catalog/comp_wheels.html

NXcoupe
12-05-2009, 04:56 AM
very cool. So you could get one, then swap different sized housings and impellers to see what works best for your car. interesting. thanks man!