PDA

View Full Version : D-link DIR-655 Router

BigBadStang
12-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Extreme N Gigabit...THIS THING FRIGGIN ROCKS!
Super easy to set up, has a TON of tools, and settings to tailor the router to do darn near anything you want.
I upgraded the laptops to N wireless too, and even with all of them connected, and the Xbox blazing away, all the laptops connect from 130Mbps to 220Mbps!! Not to mention the much better signal strength throughout the house. All this performance for less than 100 bucks!
It would be hard to wrong with this router.
It is wirelessly connecting 2 laptops, 2 netbooks, one desktop with printer sharing, the wifi for the Wii, and the 2 Nintendo DS's and a wired connection for XBox Live. It handles all these connections with ease. :bigthumb

foxbodyfan
12-26-2008, 04:26 PM
What ISP do you have??

MrsAPE
12-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Ohhh I want one!! Not quiet sure just exactly what you said but it sounds cool as hell. Complete and total computer airhead.

Carl
12-29-2008, 11:34 PM
How did you upgrade your laptops?

Mista Bone
12-30-2008, 02:05 AM
"N" routers are backwards compatible with "B" and "G" signals, just not as strong as "N"

Carl
12-30-2008, 08:43 AM
I figured that...but I would love to upgrade my connection.

BigBadStang
12-30-2008, 12:49 PM
What ISP do you have??

Zoomtown 5Mbps ADSL.
That is my limitation, but I do a TON of file sharing from each computer to another, and I have an external 4TB hard drive hooked to the desktop like a server, that has a ton of ripped DVD's (1 1/2 TB's) and all my music (800+GB's), and all my pics on there, that are accessed from all the other computers as needed. Thats where I really picked up the speed.

The laptops I have are Dell's and I bought the internal wireless cards in "N" from Dell, because I HATE the big aftermarket cards that stick out of the sides of the PC slots. The netbooks I spec'd them with "N" cards when I had them built, so they are internal as well.
If you don't mind them sticking out, you can buy "N" cards that plug into the PC slots on your laptop, or they make USB "N" wireless adapters now too.

The "N" router is backward compatable to 802.11b, and 802.11g like someone else also said.