PDA

View Full Version : replacing heater core in fox

wildstang89
12-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Gotta replace the heater core in my 88 GT. I know this is gonna be a pain. Anyone have a link or step by step info on this? Thanks guys!:bigthumb

facemelter71
12-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Did your car come equipped with A/C?

wildstang89
12-23-2008, 12:42 PM
yes it did.

Stangman
12-23-2008, 12:48 PM
It's really not that bad. Just remember where all your bolts go and don't force anything. It's only plastic afterall.

Not gonna gaurantee I didnt forget something... but...

Gotta take out your console, yank up the e-brake so you can slide it off. There are bolts holding the armrest section in, and bolts holding the top down. Take out the bolts holding the front of the bottom half of the console (Behind stereo) There are a few more bolts holding the console in, like behind the glove box door and the removable drivers side panel. Gonna have to take your shifter off.

Drop your steering column/hood release (get more room if the front seats are out)

Take out the 2 bolts on each side of the dash holding it to the metal frame (by the door seal) Take the screws out of the top of the dash and take out the defrost vent trim, remove dash speaker grilles and speakers. Take off the dash cluster plastic, unplug the switches, unplug the cluster and remove the speedo cable. Gonna have to take off the glove box door. Be careful not to break the glove box door light! I think there are a few screws along the bottom of the dash and If I am not forgetting anything it should now be loose. Then unbolt the metal dash frame and gently bend it out of the way. It will be okay.

With column dropped and dash slowly pulling forward, disconnectd any wire or vacuum connections to the heater controls. Also disconnect the blend door metal wire going tot he heater box. It's sorta tough but don't break it, should just be able to squeeze the plastic connector and it should pop out.

The dash wont come completely out of the way, but enough to get out the heater box. take off the heater hoses, there are two nuts holding the heater box to the car from under the hood. Take off the bolt holding the bracket at the top of the heater box, and take the bolt off holding the heater box to the firewall on the inside at the very bottom on the passenger side.

Make sure everything is disconnected, I know there will be some stuff I've forgotten. Gently pull out your heater box and be careful not to damage the foam sealing up the cowl to heater box. Take off the 4 screws holding the lid on the box... take the heater core out. Line the box with some black window sealant and reinstall. Reverse steps. Hope this clears it up!

Jesse

wildstang89
12-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks guys! I'm gonna try this sat. Gotta do it outside. Garage is full of fox cars. LOL I'll keep you guys posted. Sounds like a whole day job. Nice Christmas gift huh??

Stangman
12-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Nahhh, just a couple hours... I had to do one in a car with a roll-cage! :lol:

wildstang89
12-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Probably 5hrs then for a fat guy like me. LOL

Stangman
12-23-2008, 02:52 PM
lol, just take it slow and pace yourself. You rush and you break stuff!

ibstrokin
12-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Chad393na does these pretty reasonable, he's also a certified ASE Master mechanic, pm him for a price. Screw doing this outside.

wildstang89
12-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Just pm'd him. Thanks

wildstang89
12-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Put the heater core today. Only took me about 4hrs. Not bad for a fat guy. LOL Thanks Jessie for the info although I couldn't use it since the site was down. The best part... I didn't break anything!!! Steve