PDA

View Full Version : 351 swap

Blackpony
12-30-2008, 02:46 PM
I have been throwing around the idea to swap my 302 and drop in a 351. My question is what would be involved in the change up. It's going in my 85GT

mustang8998
12-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Headers, oil pan, flywheel/flex plate.

Also, if you want all your creature comforts, there is a little work to do there.

If you plan on keeping it under a stock hood, you would need the drop mounts, but then you run into pan/header clearance issues, or run a cowl hood, or hood scoop.

I assume you would go carbed, so all that change is obvious.

I think that is a start for you. If I missed something, I'm sure others will chime in.

Blackpony
12-31-2008, 12:28 AM
Hood clearance no problem i have a 3" cowls sitting in my garage.Like i said just throwing around the idea. I have a 351 in Chicago that i'm debating on if i should put it in and if i would see that big of a difference in power which i'm sure i will

Also, if you want all your creature comforts, there is a little work to do there.

If you plan on keeping it under a stock hood, you would need the drop mounts, but then you run into pan/header clearance issues, or run a cowl hood, or hood scoop.

I think that is a start for you. If I missed something, I'm sure others will chime in.

Rick93coupe
12-31-2008, 01:49 AM
It's an impossible swap, don't even waste your time! ;)

Actually I highly recommend it. Do yourself a favor and go over to the Corral.net and do some searching over there. I was looking for a specific thread and can't find it tonight. There's a ton of info over there because of the amount of members on the site, so look around, you'll find what your looking for.
Good luck.

NUTTSGT
01-07-2009, 09:41 AM

Distrubutor, intake.....hence the other thread, I'm beginning to understand.