PDA

View Full Version : Boring and stroking question

MustangChuck
01-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Hey folks. I have a question about boring and stroking my motor. How much horsepower and torque will each one give me round abouts? Is it possible to do both? If I did both, how much horsepower and torque can I expect to gain? Do you all have a suggestion on which to do and what brand of parts to use?

Timido
01-04-2009, 11:02 PM
bigger bore and stroke make the engine larger more cubic inches which makes more power . Bigger bore and stroke with the same height piston make your compression ratio higher which makes more power. You will gain hp and torque by having a bigger engine. How much depends on alot of things.

MustangChuck
01-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Oh I know that, but it IS possible to do both at the same time?

PonymanfiveO
01-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Chuck,

A stroker kit is probably not one of the first things you should think about when looking for more power with your set up.

If I had your car, I would maybe look into a set of ported heads and a good set of cams. You can pick up a good bit of power and stay within a reasonable budget.

Check out www.Livernoismotorsports.com
They make some killer stuff for your motor.

Call Ken at Modular Depot. They are coming out with their own custom grind cams that are suposed to be pretty sick.

MustangChuck
01-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Sweet i'll look into that soon. I just was talking about for future reference cuz a bore and/or stroker kit is prolly gonna be the last thing I do before I go for forced induction.

plattner01
01-04-2009, 11:52 PM
hey chuck looks like you got the same ride as me 08 gt, i'm getting a livernois stage 3 cnc ported heads with comp cams Comp 3 V Blower cam product#127550 with limiters, and a tci torque converter, modular depot installing for me. i'm adding a few other things but those should start you off just fine.

MustangChuck
01-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Ok thanks i'll remember that. But I have a manual so I dont think I can use a torque converter lol. Will a blower cam work with a turbocharger as well? Cuz I want to twin turbo it one day.

plattner01
01-05-2009, 12:13 AM
well blower cam on a turbo no idea, s/c here no turbo. well just go for the heads then.

plattner01
01-05-2009, 12:16 AM
well eariler i just looked at your model year and not really your modds or trans,plus i'm tired

MustangChuck
01-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Its cool I understand no big deal. Thanks for the advice i'll be keeping that in mind. I still got a few more base level bolt ons to take care of. After I get my drag radials i'll prolly go for some ported heads and a really good cam

cstreu1026
01-05-2009, 01:17 AM
05yellowgt is building a stroked 3V with a F1 Procharger. I believe the short block is in the car with stock heads and cams for initial break in before bolting on the blower and big fuel system. Either he or rscoupe should be able to give you some more details on the build and the results.

05yellowgt
01-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Today or tomorrow my stroker motor will be started up and dyno'd n/a. It's using stock heads and cams for the moment as cstreu said. The motor has forged rods, forged stroker crank and custom CP pistons. My stock motor with headers, CAI, and CMCP deletes made 310rwhp 318rwtq. I'd expect this motor to make about the same power. It will be up 20 cubic inches but down from 9.8 compression to about 9.0. I'll be sure to chime in with more info after the motor is dyno'd before the blower goes on.

As far as whether or not supercharger cams will work with a turbo, yes they will but you will see better gains with a cam grind that is designed specifically for a turbo setup.

na svt
01-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey folks. I have a question about boring and stroking my motor. How much horsepower and torque will each one give me round abouts? Is it possible to do both? If I did both, how much horsepower and torque can I expect to gain? Do you all have a suggestion on which to do and what brand of parts to use?

Do you have a 2v or a 4v?

Are you talking about an overbore of .020" or a big bore which requires sleeves? There are big bore/strokers (322 and 324ci) and they can make some pretty good power. However, I don't recommend one if you plan to boost it.

05yellowgt
01-06-2009, 02:13 PM
My car started up last night. Supposed to go on the dyno later today at Dayton Performance.

cstreu1026
01-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Do you have a 2v or a 4v?

Are you talking about an overbore of .020" or a big bore which requires sleeves? There are big bore/strokers (322 and 324ci) and they can make some pretty good power. However, I don't recommend one if you plan to boost it.

He has a 3V.

05yellowgt
01-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Updates as promised. The stroker motor has made 314/348 on stock heads and cams and 9.0 compression during break a break in dyno session today. Blower numbers coming soon. I will try to get a dynograph later today.

Waffles
01-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Mike up at Dayton Performance is doing the Livernois stroker assembly for my 4v, but I'm keeping the stock bore and staying NA. Ported heads and a vavle job are in the works currently. Also, I'm going to have NA_SVT shorten the runners on my intake. I went with a setup for 11:1 compression since I'm not doing boost. We're scheduled to be all finished up by sometime in March, so we'll let you know how that goes.