PDA

View Full Version : Powerdyne or Turbo kit?

5.0calypso93lx
01-06-2009, 03:17 PM
One of my good buddies bought his old dark green 92' coupe back from the guy he sold it to out in Newtown. It's in storage now, but he is considering a small supercharger for the car once the weather gets nicer.

The car currently has a Trick Flow intake(can't remember if it's the street or track), some kind of cam, and edelbrock performer heads with all the other bolt ons. The guy said he had it dyno'ed at MD, but doesn't remember what kind of power it put down, but I remember him saying 285 or 286, which seems pretty low to me for the mods.

He doesn't want anything super-crazy, but from the sound of it he does want an 11 second potential car, so he was thinking about the 9lb Powerdyne kit for it's cheap price and ease of install. The car is nearly pristine and everything done to the car can be easily reversed, so that needs to be kept in mind as well.

I just have a feeling he is going to be dissappointed with the powerdyne, and I'm thinking about trying to convince him to pick up the BG Stage 1 turbo kit for $2500 shipped.

http://bgturbokits.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&products_id=43

Seems like Brian has one of the best fitting, and most quality kits for the price, so I was thinking about recomending that to him. It says it doesn't require any cutting on the car when using stock motor mounts so that's also a big plus.

I'm thinking with the same 9lbs of boost, and tuned properly, this car should be an easy 11 second powered car. I just think turbo cars are way cooler too :lol:

What do you guys think??

Walter
01-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Powerdyne = poop. I had one back in the day. With a fresh rebuilt from Powerdyne it lasted 300 miles before the kevlar belt shit the bed.

So yea, turbo man.

slow60'
01-06-2009, 04:44 PM
turbo!!!!!! superchargers are gay

67fastback
01-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Ive got a small paxton novi 1000 for sale that will put him in the 11s easy.. Its in the for sale thread

wildstang89
01-07-2009, 08:30 PM
My powerdyne took a dump 3x w/ the last time taking out the impeller. So I bought a procharger.

1badFn5.0
01-07-2009, 08:34 PM
sc went out with a cam only lol.. if your gonna spend money , go ahead and do it right the first time.. you can build a turbo kit for under 1500

A05C
01-07-2009, 11:19 PM
my vote goes to turbo. i love turbo cars

bangingears
01-08-2009, 02:18 PM
turbo>powerdyne......you aren't supposed to use the two in the same sentence.:D

NXcoupe
01-08-2009, 05:32 PM
How about an S trim? Cheap used kits are everywhere, and they are just a workhorse. Turbo kits with all their plumbing is the only draw back. But if you are choosing between a powerdyne and a turbo kit, I would go turbo.

Silver Bullet
01-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Powerdynes are garbage. MyOwnr on the board had to fix his more than he drove it.:(

stang5slow
01-08-2009, 09:30 PM
i found an artical in allfordmustangtech.com a guy did a turbo build on a fox for about a grand

myownr
01-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Powerdynes are garbage. MyOwnr on the board had to fix his more than he drove it.:(

Damn, down'n on a fella just because he has family to entertain instead of driving around with friends. LOL yes that pos seemed like a deal buying it used. Now I know the damn thing cost more than a decent used YSI kit that someone I know damn near gave away. Terry I must say, was it the ride in my car that got you hooked on superchargers cause as soon as I got one you had to go one up. Now look at ya. Sorry I got you addicted and gave you the responsibility to keep our economy afloat. Now with another young'n I will be washing it even more than driving it. Come to think of it, I have my own little turbo addition. I think she is about 25 mm with gobs of high end power (cries) and plenty of volume (screams in between cries). She also has a problem with crapping out though just like the powerdyne (maybe less frequent). Now if I can get that boost control figured out we can sleep through the night. Sorry for the thread highjack, back to the original question I would go with a turbo or any other proven supercharger such as the s trim that started terry's addiction

ibstrokin
01-13-2009, 01:42 AM
How about an S trim? Cheap used kits are everywhere, and they are just a workhorse. Turbo kits with all their plumbing is the only draw back. But if you are choosing between a powerdyne and a turbo kit, I would go turbo.

Great option, very dependable. My old s-trim made 550 rwhp on a very basic combo. Basically, a well set up s-trim kit can make more hp than a stock block can hold, and cheaper than a turbo kit. Dependable, streetable, cheaper, long lasting, hard to beat an s-trim for bang for the buck. Plus they are upgradeable, s-trim supports 680 fwhp, a $350 Si upgrade = 770 fwhp, swap to a T-trim head unit (same bracket) 870 fwhp.

may93
01-13-2009, 01:09 PM
I had a Powerdyne and had nothing but problems. Sent it back to be fixed 3 times as the bearings kept seizing up and breaking the belt. Powerdyne excuse was that the ceramic bearings were made in Australia and that they were defective. I argued it was their product and therfore their responsibility but they didnt see it that way. In the end they sent me a new powerdyne just to shut me up, but by that time I had spent another $600.00 over what I originally paid repairing the old one. Go with a Paxton or Procharger. Turbos are excellent yet a little more expensive at first.

Jrcmutang
01-13-2009, 02:52 PM
there is a stainless turbo kit on ebay for like 1500, might be junk but might be useful?? Its brand new from on3performance. Kit includes everything you would need?? You might get what you pay for though??

5.0calypso93lx
01-13-2009, 02:55 PM
You might get what you pay for though??

Haha, you said it. I'll never support that ebay junk, especially not as picky as my buddy is lol.

5.0calypso93lx
01-13-2009, 02:57 PM

I'm pretty positive he would want to buy new.

Gearhead
01-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Paxton Novi 1220SL , I've think I've seen them new around $2100. I think they are very similiar to an S-Trim....

Also, they have a $250 rebate going on right now.

Sharad
01-14-2009, 02:26 PM
yep, self lubed Vortech or Paxton would be the simplest and easiest thing to do. Still make good power too.

turbofox88
01-16-2009, 11:56 PM
i have a twin turbo 302 that im putting together and hope for 500 hp. iv probley got 3 grand into the whole kit. baught it for a grang off of ebay.

orangedemon331
01-17-2009, 01:23 PM
I just happen to know where an S-trim kit is for sale!!! $1700, mondo bypass, couple pulley combo's with an anderson ford power pipe, it was bought from bangingears about 3 months ago!!:bigthumb

juiced347
01-17-2009, 04:30 PM
there is a stainless turbo kit on ebay for like 1500, might be junk but might be useful?? Its brand new from on3performance. Kit includes everything you would need?? You might get what you pay for though??

the maker of this kit is a columbus local and the car made great power and it is a nice kit

1992MustangDW
01-17-2009, 10:08 PM
can someone send me a link to this turbo kit for 1500 on ebay?

juiced347
01-17-2009, 10:46 PM
can someone send me a link to this turbo kit for 1500 on ebay?

http://www.dynotunemotorsports.com/ click where it says ford mustang turbo kits

Sharad
01-18-2009, 09:53 AM
that's interesting. Three people down here in somerset have recently bought that kit. One guy has already blown up his junk. Not necessarily the turbo kit's fault.

thrillrr
01-18-2009, 11:24 AM
There's a big thread on tubromustangs about On 3 performance.
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121437.0
Here what the cheap kit usually look like after a few months.
http://www.wendyzak.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_100_2896.jpg

mb88coupe
01-25-2009, 11:53 AM
buy cheap get cheap.... you need to buy the hellian kit or how ever its spelled very nice kit... 100% you need to go to turbo