PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

Black Horse
01-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm getting ready to purchase a laptop. My initial dealing with Vista was nothing but miserable. Ended up reloading XP on the machine. Has Vista been improved enough to go forward with it? The biggest issue I had was compatibility with some of the older programs I run.

All thoughts appreciated!

If anyone has a good hook-up for laptops, let me know!

Holly
01-12-2009, 10:46 AM
I heard bad things about Vista, but I've had it for 9 months now, and I ABSOLUTELY love it. Don't let the haters on here talk you out of it, it's awesome.

holeshot
01-12-2009, 11:25 AM
I had Vista for awhile...it has some cool features, but it just eats up so much freakin memory and things would crash and run really slow. I would assume if the laptop has at least 2G of memory you will be ok to run it, but I wouldnt go any lower than that.

A good place to start is Micro Center off 275 on the Mosteller Rd exit.

PaulFiveOh
01-12-2009, 11:40 AM
When you get it, pay someone or have a friend wipe out vista and then reload with Vista. The bloatware on retail laptops is unimaginable.

bestracing
01-12-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm getting ready to purchase a laptop. My initial dealing with Vista was nothing but miserable. Ended up reloading XP on the machine. Has Vista been improved enough to go forward with it? The biggest issue I had was compatibility with some of the older programs I run.

All thoughts appreciated!

If anyone has a good hook-up for laptops, let me know!

You can still buy the vista license and have the shop load XP Pro onto the system, thats what my company has been doing since there still some compatability issues with some of our apps running on Vista. I'm no IT expert but I'd say stay away being that you run more than just simple MS software.

04 Venom
01-12-2009, 01:26 PM
I had the same question a while back. Adequate memory seems to be the key to good performance. Mine desktop works fine with Vista premium, but I do not use it for gaming and other memory intensive uses.

RIXXX93GT
01-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Best Buy actually charges for the "service" to remove all the bull shit that is pre-loaded on systems these days....what a crock.

94tchikinv8
01-12-2009, 02:38 PM
We have a laptop and a desktop both with Vista, and I think it's a piece of shit. When my mom first got her laptop, it would take an hour to boot up. It took her two weeks of calls to Dell's tech support in India to get it somewhat useable. This was probably early 08 though, I'm not sure what they have updated since. We still have problems using the wireless internet with our home network. The desktop is an Acer and it freezes up constantly. I don't know what it's deal is, and I'm not computer savvy enough to play around with the way it operates much.

I have a 5 year old Vaio desktop with XP, and it works just fine.

-Rob

Pops Fun
01-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi
I bought a HP dv9000 lap top with Vista home premium about 1.5 years ago and like it. I don't run any old programs on it though. Drivers are still a problem with some older hardware, I understand.

mach_u
01-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Vista is ok. The problem is there is entirely too much crap that is pre-loaded on most new PCs. There is no need to completely reload it but it does pay to have somebody in the know strip it right back to a manageable level. :bigthumb

mustangjon
01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
+1 on the ram... my parents got a comp with 512 ram right after vista came out.. i told them to get that one tho since it had a bigger processor and i could upgrade their ram easy and cheap. It was horrible. Upped it to I think 2 gig and its fine. Now mine has vista but i have 3 gig ram. Works fine.. only real issue i have still have an old radeon vid card i need to upgrade.

Katmandu
01-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Don't listen to all the negative crap. MOST folks don't have enough resources to do it any justice.

Vista requires 2GB Ram MINIMUM to run right.

Turn OFF all the extra graphic crap and set it to run for best Performance and Vista WILL run GREAT.