PDA

View Full Version : Home builders...ANYBODY??

69Cobra
01-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Hey guys we are looking to build this year and I'm trying to weight out weather or not to just hire a builder or run everything through me. I'm a master electrician/project manager and I've worked in the construction industry for the past 14 years so the question isn't weather or not I can perform the task its weather or not the head ache is worth the money you'll save? Anybody been there done that?

Black92LX
01-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Run everything through YOU!!!!!!

Just got done building a house myself. We chose to use a builder. Next time there is no doubt we will be contracting it out ourselves.
You Defiantly will save money and have more options and better oversight.
You will have headaches either way.
Biggest thing I did not like was not having the ability to fire the subcontractors.
And trust me there were quite a few that would have been fired on the spot had I contracted them out.

Black Horse
01-14-2009, 11:02 AM
The good thing about being your own General Contractor is you have control over everything. The bad thing is you may not have the resources to get your job done.

Personally I would hire a General Contractor as they have Sub-Contractors that they deal with on a daily basis and can get you the best scheduling available (not to mention the best pricing). Doing it yourself you may not be able to get the right crew, or if you do you may end up waiting until they have a lull (or paying for several full days of work when they only are able to do partial days works because you didnt get something else done on time). Remeber you are just one build, most business would rather deal with a GC that will be doing multiple builds and can plan a steady workflow.

You are, however, smart if you can get your contract with your GC amended to give you more control over the folks working on the job. Adding phrases like "The owner has the right to dismiss any work crew due to poor workmanship or improper work and safety procedures" will give you a lot of muscle. Sitting down up-front with your GC and laying your expectations out will go a long way in the working relationship. Most GC's appreciate being given the latitude of getting the work done without having someone looking over their shoulder every minute, you just need to be sure you have the power to hold them accountable for their inability to do what they say they are going to do. Then step back, let them do their job and meet with them on a regular basis to walk through the job together.

Read their contract with you thoroughly, understand it, question it, have your lawyer look at it and by all means, do not be afraid to suggest changes/revisions in the wording. You may go through a couple of different GCs to get someone that will work with you like this, but when you find someone that will, you will have the best person for your job.

PONYGRL
01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
It all sounds like a headache to me still.... We plan on building a house in a couple years out in the county, once I graduate next year... and have a big farm.

I know it is a lot cheaper, but it just sounds like it would be a pain... plus there is a lot of stuff you can contract out and have people you know do on the side, like counters, tile, cabinets, all the flooring and all the electric work, etc.

I always said I would just pay a building company to do ALL of it, so that I would not have the headache, but I realize it is probably TONS cheaper to do it all yourself. It sounds like just getting a GC would def be a good option too...

We will definitely be hitting you guys up in a few years with advice and who to use locally :)

69Cobra
01-14-2009, 03:10 PM
This has been a long time coming (about 6 years) and I think I've thought out every process possible. I know a lot of local builders and subs and the way I'm looking at it is with the econony being slow I think I can get good pricing and not have a problem getting them on the job. I mean lets face it things are slow and it doesn't look like its going to pick up anytime soon. The other side of it is I am a freak about things being right. I don't like bad attitudes and half ass workmanship and that is the biggest thing that is pushing me away from just hiring a GC. I guess adding the wording like Dave said would give me the power to say hay that looks like shit, fix it now but then that is what the GC should be doing. So if I look at it like that I'm doing his job. Well I guess I just need to make a decision and go with it. My uncle does HVAC so I'm going to have him do the geothermal. I'm going to do the electric, phone, security and dig all the ditches for the water, electric and drainage from the down spouts. I think the only two trades I need to find people to do will be the plumbing and framing. I know of a couple plumbers out this way as well as builders that I'm going to get pricing from to do the framing. I know when I've talked to a couple good builders that I know the average cost per sq foot is looking to be about $120. I know the house is going to make a big differents on that number weather its a ranch or a two story or if the roof has alot of hips and kick or if its straight and rather simple. But when I look at it for $120 per.sq.ft that is a lot of money. I know that the builders that are that pricy will be very good and I wouldn't have to worry about anything at all but unfortunatly money is something I don't like giving away very easily. I personally think I can get it done for closer to $80 per.sq.ft what do you think am I smoking some good stuff or what? If you figure a 2000sqft home just for round numbers at $120 per.sq.ft is $240,000. If you figure it at $80 per.sq.ft its $160,000. That is a $80,000 swing. THAT'S ALOT OF RACING MAN!!!!

Black92LX
01-14-2009, 03:58 PM
you are about correct with your numbers.

We were right at $120 a square foot. Though we did do lots and lots of upgrades and I expanded the garage substantially from the original designs. Take into account lot size as well. Our lot was $60,000 of the the total and it's only 50x120.

Like I said when we do it next time, I will defiantly contract it out myself.

Having complete control is very important to me. Our builder was quite good and took my concerns into considerations. But also took his "neighborhood" into consideration a nit more than he should have.

I would have fired two contractors on the spot for a couple of things I caught them doing. But did not have that luxury using the builder.

YouGotJunk
01-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Metcalf Racing does all residential concrete work. He pours basements, driveways, patios, walks and whatever else is needed/wanted for new homes. Not sure what route you plan on going, just figured i'd give you the heads up.

69Cobra
01-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Metcalf Racing does all residential concrete work. He pours basements, driveways, patios, walks and whatever else is needed/wanted for new homes. Not sure what route you plan on going, just figured i'd give you the heads up.

Thanks.

69Cobra
01-14-2009, 05:02 PM
you are about correct with your numbers.

We were right at $120 a square foot. Though we did do lots and lots of upgrades and I expanded the garage substantially from the original designs. Take into account lot size as well. Our lot was $60,000 of the the total and it's only 50x120.

Like I said when we do it next time, I will defiantly contract it out myself.

Having complete control is very important to me. Our builder was quite good and took my concerns into considerations. But also took his "neighborhood" into consideration a nit more than he should have.

I would have fired two contractors on the spot for a couple of things I caught them doing. But did not have that luxury using the builder.

Are you figuring in the 60K for the lot with your $120 sq.ft? If so what is it with out? We already have the land I'm just trying to figure the house only right now. Then I'll be figuring in the 40'x80' Toy Box lol

dsmawd350
01-14-2009, 05:10 PM
im a subcontractor and can do your floors if your going hardwood great prices. keep me in mind

69Cobra
01-14-2009, 05:26 PM
im a subcontractor and can do your floors if your going hardwood great prices. keep me in mind
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

cobradon
01-14-2009, 11:34 PM
I worked for a GC for about 10 years we could get a house done i about 90 days.I know it could be done faster by some others but faster is not always better.We had some good subs that we delt with but we did have to weed some out.The trick is to have someone working at the house everyday.If you decide to do it yourself do your homework get at least 3 bids from each sub.Some banks will not you be your own GC.GOOD LUCK it might be a little stressful. :bangwall:

Black92LX
01-15-2009, 03:29 AM
Are you figuring in the 60K for the lot with your $120 sq.ft? If so what is it with out? We already have the land I'm just trying to figure the house only right now. Then I'll be figuring in the 40'x80' Toy Box lol

Sorry. Was trying my numbers too quickly.
Minus the lot we are looking at about $95 a square foot.
We have about 2180 sq ft living space, plus 1,000 sq ft unfinished basement, and 500 sq ft of attached garage.

Though taking into considerations that when I was pricing things out building the pretty much the same house closer to Cincinnati was a bit more expensive.