PDA

View Full Version : The Charminator

firestang70
01-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Well I was going to go with a wild NA setup. A great deal came along and so I am joining the FI class instead.

I am getting a Gen I Whipple. It is a satin finish (it looks purtee). Its the HO kit, intercooled etc. Was a complete kit minus the GT500 system. I will be running a BAP and 10 lbs.

The plan is to run close as possible to 11.5x without going faster. I am not ready for a cage for Shirley yet. I will have Ken whip up a great tune for it and hit the rollers.

Also adding a lineloc kit. Adding some skinnies and fatties for the track 165s up front and 28 by 11.50 by 50 MT ET Streets(Thanks Craig). Going to try the Roush vent gauge pod for the boost gauge.

I usually don't post up much on my car but I am pretty stoked. Even though my car will become a whining cry baby.

Oh will be getting the kit mid Feb and, installing soon after I get it. Will post up pics then.

Thanks
Dale

'92Stang
01-17-2009, 04:15 PM
sounds bad ass Dale!! Can't wait to see, and hear it:bigthumb

DeckerEnt
01-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Ha Ha...whining cry baby!! Sounds cool.
Keith

firestang70
01-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Well I have my 39 lb injectors coming,BAP. Got a boost gauge and ordred this vent gauge pod http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/403840/200509_Mustang_Roush_Vent_Pod_Gauge_Pod__Free_Ship ping.html. I have seen one on other car and was very clean. Going try and get the stock pulleys powdercoated since I have to take off the purdy UDPs. My ET Streets are due in anyday(thanks Maximus). If my stock clutch screams foul I will get the Roush P51 clutch plate and let her rip.

NUTTSGT
01-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Keep the tune happy, I'd hate for you to break one of those powered metal rods. Sounds like a killer project man.

firestang70
01-20-2009, 10:15 AM
We will tune it safe around 450 rwhp. I would like to keep the block in one piece till the car is paid off. Then all bets are off.:bigthumb

bbfstanger
01-20-2009, 01:22 PM
alright dale! pumpin up the power!
post some pics when you get the blower on.

PKFIRE
01-20-2009, 02:00 PM
That cars going to move out! 11's are fun!

Black03SVT
01-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Going to be COOL Dale!!!:cool1:

Mustard
01-23-2009, 03:42 PM
gonna be fun to drive!

RIXXX93GT
01-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Sounds great!

firestang70
01-24-2009, 12:17 AM
OK folks here are some results from 15" wheel experience so far on the s197.

I bought the Jegs pro stars 15 by 4 with 1.75" bs and 15 by 8 5'5" bs. It has been said that 3/8" spacer would fit over the GT brakes. I didn't measure it out but seemed unlilkely. I took off my brackets and rotors.

I went to where my buddy Gary was working. I upgraded his rotors and brackets to GT. And I stole his! j/k he agreed to the swap (he has a v6). He was excited as he just put his GT swaybars on last night and loved them! I have not spoke him tonight to see how the brakes felt. There is a significant difference on teh brackets and obviously the rotors are 1" smaller on the 4.0.

Got back to my brothers garage where Shirley was in a perpetual wheelie. Placed the smaller brackets and rotors on.

Now I did not buy spacers when I got the wheels I was determined to make them work without a spacer. I tried the rim on the front and rubbed. I pulled out the grinder and got to work.......

I worked the calipers as much as I thought was safe. The results......

Well I could not get the fronts to work without a spacer. I measured out some washers to 1/4". No rubbing and no issues. If one were to get more aggressive with the grinder, it may work. With a 1/4" spacer the rim did not appear to tuck outside the fender.

I get the tires mounted tomorrow morning. Fronts get 165/80/15 radials and the rear get MT ET Streets 28 by 11.50 by 15 in the rear.

The finish on the wheels is OK. Its not on par with Bogarts etc, but for 1/4th the price that is to be expected. Not to say they look bad, I am pleased with the purchase. I am just trying to give an unbiased opinion for anyone interested in this option.

I am itching to run these at the track. I will not be able to give any info on them vs. my previous setup. My car will be completely different NA vs FI, 26" vs 28" rear tire,DR vs Bias ply.

So hope this helps anyone investigating a 15" drag wheel combo. I will post pics as soon as I can.
Dale

mustangboy
01-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Why not 10" on the rear, I'm sure there is plenty of room under there.

firestang70
01-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Why not 10" on the rear, I'm sure there is plenty of room under there.
The only rims that wide with a correct bs (7.5") are Bogarts etc.. I can't afford to shell out that much $$ on 2 rims. I would have rather had a 10" wide rim but I'm on a pretty tight budget.

Also tires are mounted and look sweet. Its to cold for me to switch out rims and take pics. Will get to them when it is a little warmer.

firestang70
01-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Pics of the wheels and tires mounted.
http://www.mustangcollective.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3489'][img]http://www.mustangcollective.com/imagehosting/thum_62497e16d6c14bb.jpg

firestang70
01-26-2009, 04:11 PM
http://www.mustangcollective.com/imagehosting/62497e16d6c14bb.jpg

Maximus
01-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Looks GREAT!! Now get it back in the garage!!:bigthumb

firestang70
01-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Looks GREAT!! Now get it back in the garage!!:bigthumb
We've got a new lab puppy. So until I get the fence put up, she gets teh garage. Help me get that stinking fence up!:lol:

Blackballed
01-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Just put her (puppy) in the camper:chicken:

Blackballed
01-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Here ya go.

http://www.animalradio.com/316.1.PetCamper.jpg

Steves LX
01-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Dale that looks killer!!!

mustangboy
01-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Those do look nice. Now everyone can ask you where your lug nuts are like they do on mine.

firestang70
01-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Those do look nice. Now everyone can ask you where your lug nuts are like they do on mine.
Lugnuts? Thats just extra weight and slows me down!:D

firestang70
02-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Well I bolted on all 4 of the new rims and tires. No issues woot! Started to install the boost gauge. I anticipate having the Whipple in 1 to 2 weeks. I pick up my 39 lb injectors tomorrow. Found an almost brand new Spec 3+ clutch and aluminum flywheel. Ken whipped me up a temp tune to get the car down to MD for a dyno session(thanks Ken!). Also got some new Brisk plugs, no more 2 piece plugs for me. The wait is killing me but getting everything together. Hopefully install pics soon.

05yellowgt
02-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Looks great so far Dale. I got a set of Greg Weld 15x3.5 1.75 BS to fit nicely on my car without spacers by grinding the front Calipers some. I am ordering a set of 15x8 5.5 BS Greg Welds on Monday and I will be running 275/60/15 MT ET Street Radials for now. Then the next time I tear into the rear end we are going to install 9" ends and shorten the axle enough to tuck a 15x10 6.0 BS Greg Weld then I will try to step up to a 325 DR by M&H

firestang70
02-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Looks great so far Dale. I got a set of Greg Weld 15x3.5 1.75 BS to fit nicely on my car without spacers by grinding the front Calipers some. I am ordering a set of 15x8 5.5 BS Greg Welds on Monday and I will be running 275/60/15 MT ET Street Radials for now. Then the next time I tear into the rear end we are going to install 9" ends and shorten the axle enough to tuck a 15x10 6.0 BS Greg Weld then I will try to step up to a 325 DR by M&H
Yeah I think I could grind on mine a little more to make them work without the spacer but was a little :chicken:. I heard all the Greg Weld stuff was going up for auction. I know there is a vendor on ebay selling those. Call me and we can meet up tomorrow.

NUTTSGT
02-15-2009, 10:38 AM
The car looks good man, any pics of the pup ?

Gearhead559
02-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah I think I could grind on mine a little more to make them work without the spacer but was a little :chicken:. I heard all the Greg Weld stuff was going up for auction. I know there is a vendor on ebay selling those. Call me and we can meet up tomorrow.

i found the greg weld site a while back, and just looked the other day and they didnt have the same stuff online no more :confused:

and there are tons of rims out there with (15x10) with a 7" back space

firestang70
02-17-2009, 09:11 PM
i found the greg weld site a while back, and just looked the other day and they didnt have the same stuff online no more :confused:

and there are tons of rims out there with (15x10) with a 7" back space

I need 7.5" bs, post a link on the 7" bs wheels. I could only find 6.5" bs. I am sure alot of s197 owners would love to find those for a reasonable price and not highway robbery prices.

05yellowgt
02-18-2009, 09:42 AM
There are 15x10's with 7.5 backspace out there, but they aren't anywhere near clearing the calipers.

firestang70
02-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Well The Whipple should be here next week. I think I have gotten all the little things together for the install. Hopefully Thur or Fri she will be running with the Spec 3+ in place. Looks like I am adding a chrome moly 6 pt cage in April.

firestang70
07-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Well I realized I never updated the progress of the Charminator. It was a PITA but worth it. My brother and I installed the Whipple. I never unhooked the battery and shorted out the ECU.

We thought there was more to it than that. The car sat for awhile. Ultimately i we got a new ECU for it and that did the trick. Ran the car for a couple of days before tuning it and noticed it was leaking coolant.

Took it to Cincy Speed. Adam wrenched on it all day and found the leak. Unfortunately while I was working on the IC my brother was bolting the blower done and didn't tq it down enough. It leaked on the inside edge of the blower and collected in the valley so no coolant was visible. Adam worked his tail off that day. Huge kudos to Craig and Adam for taking care of me. You guys do great work!

Helped Ken move out of the old shop and in return hooked me up with a great deal on tuning. Thanks to Ken for wading thru the mess to get the tuning issues addressed, I know it was a pain. Car put down 460 rwhp, 445 rwtq on memory. This is on a stock motor,manifolds, 10 Lbs and a conservative tune. Ken said when I get the car dialed in it has bottom 11 sec potential.

I am holding off on the cage. I still ride my kids around in the car and very leery of them in the backseat with a bar above their waists. When I pull the trigger I hope Jim is available. He does fantastic work on his welds.

I have made some passes in the car and found some new issues. First the bias ply tires are certainly different than DRs! I am now getting used to "the walk". I have run a best of 11.80 best trap of almost 121. My LCAs are now in the wrong position going from a 26" to 28" tire. I need relocation brackets and will pick them up shortly. High rpm shifting is VERY difficult. I need to add tq limiters on my Kmember. Those that have high power S197s know exactly what I'm dealing with. I will add those soon.

I still use the stock shifter, I'm looking at a Pro 5.0 or MGW unit for the car. This put should put me in past cage territory. So I will have to pedal it here soon at the track.

The Spec 3+ works great at the track. On the street its very grabby and a pain in slow traffic but I'm adjusting. The instant power is alot of fun. I love the way the car just keeps pulling. The tune on the car is great and pulls hard in each gear.

So in review. Cincy Speed rocks and does great work! Modular Depot does some awesome tune work! I need to bite the bullet and let Jim throw in a cage. I need to add the mods and get back to the track. Most importantly do a driver mod on the car and let her eat at the track!

cstreu1026
07-14-2009, 01:20 PM
The clutch will get better with use. My stage 3 was like an on/off switch for a quite a while now its easy to drive.

Byrd Man
07-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Well I realized I never updated the progress of the Charminator. It was a PITA but worth it. My brother and I installed the Whipple. I never unhooked the battery and shorted out the ECU.

We thought there was more to it than that. The car sat for awhile. Ultimately i we got a new ECU for it and that did the trick. Ran the car for a couple of days before tuning it and noticed it was leaking coolant.

Took it to Cincy Speed. Adam wrenched on it all day and found the leak. Unfortunately while I was working on the IC my brother was bolting the blower done and didn't tq it down enough. It leaked on the inside edge of the blower and collected in the valley so no coolant was visible. Adam worked his tail off that day. Huge kudos to Craig and Adam for taking care of me. You guys do great work!

Helped Ken move out of the old shop and in return hooked me up with a great deal on tuning. Thanks to Ken for wading thru the mess to get the tuning issues addressed, I know it was a pain. Car put down 460 rwhp, 445 rwtq on memory. This is on a stock motor,manifolds, 10 Lbs and a conservative tune. Ken said when I get the car dialed in it has bottom 11 sec potential.

I am holding off on the cage. I still ride my kids around in the car and very leery of them in the backseat with a bar above their waists. When I pull the trigger I hope Jim is available. He does fantastic work on his welds.

I have made some passes in the car and found some new issues. First the bias ply tires are certainly different than DRs! I am now getting used to "the walk". I have run a best of 11.80 best trap of almost 121. My LCAs are now in the wrong position going from a 26" to 28" tire. I need relocation brackets and will pick them up shortly. High rpm shifting is VERY difficult. I need to add tq limiters on my Kmember. Those that have high power S197s know exactly what I'm dealing with. I will add those soon.

I still use the stock shifter, I'm looking at a Pro 5.0 or MGW unit for the car. This put should put me in past cage territory. So I will have to pedal it here soon at the track.

The Spec 3+ works great at the track. On the street its very grabby and a pain in slow traffic but I'm adjusting. The instant power is alot of fun. I love the way the car just keeps pulling. The tune on the car is great and pulls hard in each gear.

So in review. Cincy Speed rocks and does great work! Modular Depot does some awesome tune work! I need to bite the bullet and let Jim throw in a cage. I need to add the mods and get back to the track. Most importantly do a driver mod on the car and let her eat at the track!

I'm glad to hear of all the progress you've made Dale. Sounds like you you've accomplished a lot of your goals and already made new goals for the near future. Congrats and good luck!!!

firestang70
12-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Update on the car and future mods. Added the kmember brace with tq limiters. HUGE difference was able to shift at upper rpms again.

I added the Pro 5.0 shifter and love it. Ran a 11.37 so a cage needs to be addressed, I am reluctant to take away some of the streetability of the car.

I am adding a component that has a 2 step and retards ign timing so I can powershift the car. Still need to add the LCA relocation brackets, will do that this winter.

Also need to replace the shocks and struts and looking at possible D specs or QA1s.

The goals for the car for 2010 are hit 1.4x 60's and a 10.99 by next fall.

Once the car is paid off a forged bottom end,LTs, more boost and a 9 sec timeslip. A guy can dream,right?

cstreu1026
12-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Update on the car and future mods. Added the kmember brace with tq limiters. HUGE difference was able to shift at upper rpms again.

I added the Pro 5.0 shifter and love it. Ran a 11.37 so a cage needs to be addressed, I am reluctant to take away some of the streetability of the car.

I am adding a component that has a 2 step and retards ign timing so I can powershift the car. Still need to add the LCA relocation brackets, will do that this winter.

Also need to replace the shocks and struts and looking at possible D specs or QA1s.

The goals for the car for 2010 are hit 1.4x 60's and a 10.99 by next fall.

Once the car is paid off a forged bottom end,LTs, more boost and a 9 sec timeslip. A guy can dream,right?

Did you get a WOT Box?

I have one on my car and I like the idea but I need to get set right. I don't think the programing from the factory works well when trying to cut a decent light. I couldn't get the 2 step to engage after bumping into the lights and ended up leaving off the 6800 RPM rev limiter. After talking to the maker though I have some changes to making in the programing that should solve the problem.

firestang70
12-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Not yet Cam. here is the link http://www.npcompleteperformance.com/wotbox

NXcoupe
12-17-2009, 03:14 AM
Wow nice build Dale. I've been to Sardinia a few times. Where do you run out at KK?

firestang70
12-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Wow nice build Dale. I've been to Sardinia a few times. Where do you run out at KK?
Thanks Mike. I run wherever they will let me. lol Didn't get to make any passes this year at KK. I would like to travel and make some NMRA events in 2010, Super Stang class.

firestang70
12-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Ordering the WOT box this week. Looking at the relocation brackets for my LCAs. My stock shocks are needing replaced. Looking at some different options. Anybody ever try the QA1s on the S197??? Looking forward to this season and hoping for a 10 second pass by fall.

USMCPONY
12-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Ordering the WOT box this week. Looking at the relocation brackets for my LCAs. My stock shocks are needing replaced. Looking at some different options. Anybody ever try the QA1s on the S197??? Looking forward to this season and hoping for a 10 second pass by fall.

How many miles are on your car? Just curious why you need to change your shocks. I believed beefcake used the Q's on his Shelby. I have been told they weigh 16lbs less than stock. Weight loss is always good.:bigthumb

firestang70
12-31-2009, 09:13 AM
How many miles are on your car? Just curious why you need to change your shocks. I believed beefcake used the Q's on his Shelby. I have been told they weigh 16lbs less than stock. Weight loss is always good.:bigthumb

45k miles. Driver side shock is slowly seeping, needs replaced. Also need to change shocks to maximize the potential of my current setup. I just like to go fast as I can.:cool2:

firestang70
03-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Well Jim is in the process of putting a 6pt in the car as we speak. He says it looks very nice! he said its like woking in a cave with the tinted windows and black interior.lol Relocation brackets are going in. Don't have to worry about getting booted from the track now. Hopeful for a bottom 11 shortly.

Walter
03-29-2010, 03:58 PM
10's bro, 10's.

firestang70
03-29-2010, 05:10 PM
10's bro, 10's.

Getting there, its a goal by the end of the season.:D

JIMS SVT
03-30-2010, 08:42 PM
:gotpics: lol

firestang70
03-31-2010, 06:44 AM
Jim I will get some pics up by the weekend. My youngest daughter saw it and said wow its just like NASCAR! She also said a rolling jungle gym was pretty cool. lol

JIMS SVT
03-31-2010, 09:08 AM
Jim I will get some pics up by the weekend. My youngest daughter saw it and said wow its just like NASCAR! She also said a rolling jungle gym was pretty cool. lol

Put ya a window net in there and youll be set haha

egbertnr
03-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Very nice car, cant believe I havnt not seen you I am from Sardinia, and family lives up there still....Maybe I will see you someday, my car is up in Sardinia right now so I Can get working on it....and before it gets back down to good ol Union township it will hopefully make a stop at Jims.....

firestang70
04-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Painted the swingouts tonight and getting the interior covered up. Painthing the rest tomorrow night. Will post pics when completed.

beefcake
04-04-2010, 09:22 PM
PICSSSSS,,

oh wait i saw it, looks great!