View Full Version : 09 Stang gets Glass roof Option

Katmandu
02-02-2009, 04:13 PM
MUSTANG
Mustang still rocks: Ford icon also rolls in '09 WIth glass roof option

By David Mikesell

Test Drive

Saturday, January 31, 2009

On a clear day, even a cloudy one, you can see that the 2009 Ford Mustang pays homage to others through the line's 45-year history. There are the round headlights up front and the oversized red taillights in the back. The grille leans forward as if it's leading the car aggressively up the road, which it is indeed.

The Mustang, in certain forms like the special-edition Bullitt and Shelby GT500 (the latter with a 500-horsepower V-8 engine), remains a true muscle car. Even in more subdued forms like the Base and GT trims, with a 210-hp V-6 engine and 300-hp V-8, respectively, the Mustang coupes and convertibles still fit a certain macho image. And now, the new softener: a panoramic glass roof.

This $1,995 option, available on Base and GT versions, turns a coupe into an open-sky rider (even if it's not open air). The benefits to this piece of glass — it goes nearly from windshield to back pillar — go beyond enjoying sunshine without having to worry about the hair getting mussed. According to Ford, the glass roof filters 96 percent of burn-causing ultraviolet rays and is the equivalent of providing sun protection factor (SPF) of 50. Should riders not want to be exposed to the sun, there is a retractable mesh shade. The roof is made with safety glass that if shattered will do so without sharp edges.

The Mustang's fun factor goes beyond the panoramic roof. The 5-speed manual transmission we tested (a 5-speed automatic is also available) needs a strong hand for firm short throws, but the clutch compresses easily.

Back-seat passengers had better be small because there is not much legroom. Conversely, the trunk in the coupe has 13.1 cubic feet of space, which is pretty good. Plus the back seat folds in a 50/50 split manner.

David Mikesell is a free-lance automotive reviewer based in Indianapolis

http://projects.daytondailynews.com/cache/galleries/Living/Wheels/013109mustang/

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/08/93/38/slideshow_938938_MPSWLS01319FdMustangGTd.JPG

firestang70
02-02-2009, 04:30 PM
That is a pretty cool option. To bad it was only an aftermarket $$$ option in 06.

Mike
02-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I think Ford needs to worry less about stuff like that, and more about getting that pig to weigh less than 2 tons.

beefcake
02-02-2009, 09:28 PM
weve had a few in already

firestang70
02-02-2009, 09:49 PM
I think Ford needs to worry less about stuff like that, and more about getting that pig to weigh less than 2 tons.
My pig already does.:dummy:

1badFn5.0
02-02-2009, 09:51 PM
lol i bet those damn things would make that car a pond on the inside with in 10-15 years from now... ttops suck and so does sunroofs they all leak

USMCPONY
02-02-2009, 11:09 PM

I agree mine wiegh 3500 lbs.at mod depot

BigBadStang
02-03-2009, 12:25 PM

That's laughable, (and btw, they are well under 4,000 lbs, unlike the Challenger that everyone on here seems to go ga-ga for. :confused:)

The masses that buy enough of these cars to make it a profitable success want leather, less NVH, nav systems, 1,000 plus watt sound systems, and power everything, let alone the Fed's mandated crash standards.

When the Fox was being built, everyone bitched about how flimsy and flexible they were. Can't have it both ways!

The small, hardcore enthusiasts that bitch about the weight, don't come close to buying as many units as the masses that demand the creature comforts, quiet interior, with good performance.

BigBadStang
02-03-2009, 12:29 PM
lol i bet those damn things would make that car a pond on the inside with in 10-15 years from now... ttops suck and so does sunroofs they all leak

The thing that makes the difference here is that this glass is stationary unlike sunroofs and T's. I don't see any real problems with future leaks, unless someone is making tons of power, and traction twisting the car.

Katmandu
02-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Can't have it both ways!

The small, hardcore enthusiasts that bitch about the weight, don't come close to buying as many units as the masses that demand the creature comforts, quiet interior, with good performance.You can too have your cake and eat it too. :cool2:

You've never heard of an M3 have you. :rolleyes:

http://www.bmw-m.net/Gallery/e36gallery/m3-28.jpg

BigBadStang
02-07-2009, 12:43 AM
You can too have your cake and eat it too. :cool2:

You've never heard of an M3 have you. :rolleyes:

Yes, I've heard of the M3. :dummy:
Your comparison is almost as good as when the Chevy boys bring out the prom queen Corvette to compare it to the Mustang.:lol:

What you are failing to realize, or mention is that the M3 is NOT a pony car, and the sedan MSRP comes in at the mid to high $50k range, where the 2009 Mustang MSRP comes in from $19.5k to $33.2K.
Take the Mustang, dump $20k in it and blow the sauer kraut and sausages off the M3.