PDA

View Full Version : Might be moving to Fort Benning, GA

MustangChuck
02-08-2009, 03:34 PM
So here's the deal: A buddy of mine who has been in the army for a while and was a drill sergeant at one point approached me yesterday. He and his girlfriend want to get married. The issue initially was that she was going to be stationed in Korea and he was going to Fort Benning, GA. She finally found someone who would swap her duty station of Korea with their duty station of here at Fort Leonard Wood (you can swap duty assignments if you wish in the army today). He approached me and asked me if I wanted to swap him for Fort Benning. If it goes through, I will most likely be either the executive officer (basically second in command) of Airborne School or the executive officer of Officer Candidate School (OCS). Whats more, my friend told me that the commander of the unit that these schools fall under will be more than happy to release me to one of the actual deployable units down there so long as I get an interview with the Battalion Commander of the unit I want to go to and he/she says that they want me. There are a lot more training opportunities down there for me, as Ranger school is down there as well as several other very cool army schools, and they are more than willing to send me to schools at other army posts, like Sapper School here at Fort Leonard Wood. Another cool thing is there is a drag strip (albeit only an 1/8 mile, its still a race track) just minutes from the base and it's open year round!

Maximus
02-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Go for it!!:bigthumb I regret not going to Airborne when I had the chance. (I was hoping for Air Assault and didnt get the slot :mad: )

Rick93coupe
02-08-2009, 03:47 PM
I say go for it, sounds like it's a great opportunity!

MustangChuck
02-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Go for it!!:bigthumb I regret not going to Airborne when I had the chance. (I was hoping for Air Assault and didnt get the slot :mad: )

Well yeah I already went to airborne school back in 07 and I already miss jumping lol so that would be cool to get in some jumps before I asked to get released to an actual unit lol.

DeckerEnt
02-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a good deal for all concerned. I will be down there next week for my bro in law. He is gradating.
Keith

MustangChuck
02-08-2009, 10:19 PM
What's he graduating? Basic? Airborne School? Ranger School?

1992MustangDW
02-08-2009, 10:40 PM
I was just trying to read about the army online to see if it is right for me. I say go for it it sounds great

DeckerEnt
02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Basic I think. He is my wife's brother. All I know is I have to drive for 8-10 hours and stay at a cheap motel for a few days...
Keith

cobrajoe
02-09-2009, 03:45 AM

I hear Air Assault comes out of your slot all the time at CS.:lol: JFWY!

Pops Fun
02-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Hi
sounds like a good deal!
Thanks for your service to our country!

Katmandu
02-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Sound like an excellent opportunity (career-wise) to make RANK. :bigthumb

How long have you been in ?

What Rank are you now ?

Foxxx5oh
02-09-2009, 09:09 AM

yeah, Airborne school kicked so much ass (even though its what got me on my way out...lol)!! id MUCH rather jump and float than be a dope on a rope :D:lol: (got to get hated on every day by the one-oh-worst :lol:)

Good luck Chuck!! hope it all works out for ya

02mingryGT
02-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Basic I think. He is my wife's brother. All I know is I have to drive for 8-10 hours and stay at a cheap motel for a few days...
Keith

Congrats on your brother-in-law Keith. Tell him I said thank you. I get to do that same thing in April when my son graduates.

5.0calypso93lx
02-09-2009, 11:02 AM
That does sound like an awesome oppurtunity, but I HATE the weather in Benning haha. I went there in the middle of the summer for basic and it wasn't the most pleasant thing I've done :lol: Some of the wierdest rain I have ever seen to, it just comes out of nowhere. I missed out on several good trainings because of crazy weather. Never did get to do night fire.

If you can stand the weather, go for it :bigthumb

Foxxx5oh
02-09-2009, 11:21 AM
That does sound like an awesome oppurtunity, but I HATE the weather in Benning haha. I went there in the middle of the summer for basic and it wasn't the most pleasant thing I've done :lol: Some of the wierdest rain I have ever seen to, it just comes out of nowhere. I missed out on several good trainings because of crazy weather. Never did get to do night fire.

If you can stand the weather, go for it :bigthumb

i hear ya on that one, i was there from october til december for basic, our final ftx we had a night where it was about 12 and it rained...that SUCKED! then i went to fort gordon for AIT...which wasnt much better, then back to benning for airborne school in the middle of summer...you think its hot in training...its even hotter being staged behind a C-130 with all the hot exhaust blowin on ya...but it smelled good! LOL

9cobra4
02-09-2009, 11:28 AM
I've heard good things about benning. I'll be going to ft. leonard wood here soonly.

mustang8998
02-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Sounds like a great deal, Chuck.

Best wishes for ya!

And THANK YOU!