PDA

View Full Version : Dying Seats?

chris91
02-13-2009, 01:01 AM
Just picked up a nice pair of seats and they are a little faded. They're Black and on the side part of the top its faded some. What could I used to dye these to make them look decent again? I dont want to use the spray on stuff, too many people complain about it making the fabric stiff. Anyone had any luck with the RIT dye? I was thinking about putting it in a spray bottle and just spraying it on? Just looking for some advise on what to use that will last for a long time.

ttop88
02-15-2009, 11:52 AM
You could try that but it would probably come out really blotchy. Take the seat covers off and do as instructed on the box for best results

chris91
02-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Yeah Im not using that RIT stuff either. Been reading too many bad things about it not truely being Black. Ive called all the upholstery places around and noone has any recommendations so far as what to use. Now about taking the covers off, they are aftermarket racing seats and Im not too sure about taking the upper part of the seat off, I doubt Id be able to get it back on right. lol

95redstang
02-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Yeah Im not using that RIT stuff either. Been reading too many bad things about it not truely being Black. Ive called all the upholstery places around and noone has any recommendations so far as what to use. Now about taking the covers off, they are aftermarket racing seats and Im not too sure about taking the upper part of the seat off, I doubt Id be able to get it back on right. lol

Those places aren't going to tell you jack. I bet if you took the seats to them they will dye them the way you want. Those places don't give out secrets, if they do they lose business

chris91
02-16-2009, 01:54 AM
Actually the places I called said they dont even do it.

Foxxx5oh
02-16-2009, 01:25 PM
i usually use SEM products when i am dying interior parts, but duplicolor has a decent fabric/vinyl dye that holds up decently (im using it to dye my seats black from grey)

chris91
02-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Everyone Ive talked to about the Duplicolor stuff said it makes the fabric really stiff. How are yours coming out?

Foxxx5oh
02-16-2009, 03:46 PM
so far so stiff, but the seats dont exactly match anyway (one is prior to 86 and the other is period correct but they are LX seats not the GT seats) its not really that bad though, just spray lightly and dont get too close to the fabric and youd be alright.