PDA

View Full Version : OMG

ponymom05
02-13-2009, 11:36 PM
UMTR is filling the June date with a race at Thorn Hill. Heaven help us all. Get your life insurance paid up boys.

69Cobra
02-14-2009, 12:41 AM
:lol:

ponymom05
02-14-2009, 07:38 AM
Don't laugh Kris. I'm gonna' hire you to sweep the gravel off the track before I run!!

jlt2006
02-14-2009, 12:10 PM
I definitely won't be going to this one.
I have read the stories on this one. I can't believe that we are stooping this low.
Also helps me decide not to run for points.

Jeff88coupe
02-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Wonder how TH is going to get their normal bracket program and the UMTR program ran in the same night in their allowed time window.

mustangboy
02-14-2009, 12:31 PM
You guys are a bunch of wusses. I've seen 1000hp dragsters make pass after pass there.

PonymanfiveO
02-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Wonder how TH is going to get their normal bracket program and the UMTR program ran in the same night in their allowed time window.

yea good point.

You guys are a bunch of wusses. I've seen 1000hp dragsters make pass after pass there.

Drunk with no harness and a tank top. :lol: :bigthumb

Jeff88coupe
02-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Drunk with no harness and a tank top. :lol: :bigthumb

You forgot the flip flops and the budwiser between their legs:bigthumb

Hrod382
02-18-2009, 11:42 PM

Nice to see someone has a pair.

Seriously, unless you guys are around 5.50's in the 1/8... Give me a break, you'll have no trouble unless your cars aren't set up worth a damn. Grubb's has run there plenty of times.

95turbocharged
02-19-2009, 12:08 PM
you need to make sure they fixed the big hole in the track thats towards the end of the 1/4.

ponymom05
02-19-2009, 12:39 PM
It's OK, they have new hand dryers in the restrooms, all is well at the track! Besides, if you drink enough, you don't notice any holes!

Hrod382
02-19-2009, 01:35 PM
I agree about the hole, that sucked and was eventually filled. Any cars in the 9's won't have the easiest time getting stopped either but it can and has been done plenty of times.

My cousin runs low 4.80's, I've been 5.00, made hundreds of 5.90 passes and there is a mark in the tower lane about '315 ft. out where my cradle slammed down... It'll hold about anything around here.

craigels
02-19-2009, 07:54 PM
I agree about the hole, that sucked and was eventually filled. Any cars in the 9's won't have the easiest time getting stopped either but it can and has been done plenty of times.

My cousin runs low 4.80's, I've been 5.00, made hundreds of 5.90 passes and there is a mark in the tower lane about '315 ft. out where my cradle slammed down... It'll hold about anything around here.

We don't care about 1/8th mile numbers... our series is 1/4 mile. If UMTR does this race 1/8 mile it will be gay. I'm not sure if I'll even go! (search mine and ponymanfiveo's posts from last season). The track is still a shit hole and I can't believe UMTR even considered it. Besides, they won't get the regular program AND UMTR done before the midnight curfew...

Craig

Mavowar
02-20-2009, 12:00 AM
UMTR is filling the June date with a race at Thorn Hill. Heaven help us all. Get your life insurance paid up boys.

Never had any issues there myself...
I always hooked better there than Edgewater....

Hrod382
02-20-2009, 01:55 AM
I can understand scheduling concerns, I have no problem with people being worried about that, I just laugh at people who think their cars are too much for that track... They're not. Grubbs runs there, surely you all can. I'll probably go elsewhere that night, I like the stick car stuff but I'll probably run Edgewater or Clay City.

I know a lot of guys with 11/12/13 second cars that run faster there. If you're in the 8's in a door car, that's where you start to realize you're not at Indy.

mustangboy
02-20-2009, 01:59 AM
If I had to guess there are alot less wrecks at The Hill as well. I know personally I've seen way more wrecks at Edgewater than the hill and that was from the drivers seat.:dummy:

69Cobra
02-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Grubbs runs there, surely you all can.

Yeah but I don't think Grubbs runs 1/4 mile there. I know I don't. I've been out in the grass sideways trying to get her stopped.:D If I had a light weight car it would be alright but trying to stop 4000# at 132+mph doesn't make me warm and fuzzy inside.

Personally I like the old track and it does hook, sometimes to good with the narrow lanes. If your in the outside lane you have a little more room but the inside lane I've lost rounds of racing in the inside lane because I had to get out of it to keep from taking out the tree or keeping it off the guardrail. Just think that track used to be dirt:eek::lol:

Waffles
02-20-2009, 02:20 PM

We're not going to be running the regular program.

you need to make sure they fixed the big hole in the track thats towards the end of the 1/4.

Done.

If I had to guess there are alot less wrecks at The Hill as well. I know personally I've seen way more wrecks at Edgewater than the hill and that was from the drivers seat.:dummy:

One last year.

You guys really need to keep in mind a few things about TH. First, this is the oldest track in the country that's still running. If everyone continues this attitude about the track, it's totally possible that this will cease to be true.

Jerry has only owned the track for one season, and bought it after years of neglect from after Ralph died. We've all worked hard to make the improvements that some people here like to make fun of and minimize. Jerry has spent money, and many of us volunteer to do whatever we can to help. Many of us, like myself and Greg Seibert, worked much of last season and never accepted any payment... because we want to see the track succeed instead of disappearing forever. We will continue the effort.

In this first year, we've dealt with equipment failures due to the lack of maintanance over the years. We've been battling lawsuits filed by our Campbell Co neighbors who've moved next to a racetrack and decided they didn't like it. I've met with these people and their attorneys myself - I can tell you they want to restrict the track right out of existance! We're working hard to fix things and are being constantly beaten down by people who evidently can't appreciate the efforts we've made because they've not produced 100% change overnight.

There are always plans for improvement. Some of the improvements being discussed are widening and lengthening the track. It's 40 feet wide now, we're talking about widening it to 50 feet. (After the 97 flood the track was actually made more narrow when they repaved it.) There is also another 500 feet or so we can add to the end of the track for shutdown. We're looking to upgrade the PA system, repave the return lanes, replanning the parking/pit area, and a lot of all around clean up. Scoreboards are also in discussion. We're meeting with IHRA next week to discuss sanctioning requirements. We're also trying to negotiate the injuction to allow us to give up slower holiday weekends in favor of doing some Friday/Saturday/Sunday special event weekends.

So what do all these things have in common? They require money. Revenue comes from spectators, racers, consession and advertising. When I start selling the advertising in a few weeks to raise money for the improvements... will your comments help us or hurt us? Is it really that important to you guys to trash mouth the track and be counter productive to the improvements you criticize us for lacking? It seems like some of you are actually angry at us for not doing everything overnight. Now, if you really want to see the track succeed and continue, we'll welcome your help. Send me a PM and we'll figure out something you can do to have a part in making things better, rather than just bitching about what's not been done yet.

mustangboy
02-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Well said.

2Kblacksleeper
02-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Well said.

I agree. Its takes making money to do the improvements that are needed. I have never been to TH but i will go this year and give it my support.

How many times do we complain that we need a good track that is close to home? How about we go out and support our local tracks so they can improve themselves? Unless the track is not investing in its self.

John

69Cobra
02-20-2009, 03:33 PM
I would love to see the track stay alive and improve. That is why Tony King and I went to the meeting last year that Jerry had. That's how TH got on UMTR's schedule so you guys can yell at me for that. Jerry call me a month or so ago to talk about booking a race and I forwarded him on to Dave. From there on I don't know anything about it. I do know that if we would loose E2O to a gravel company (which is very possible in the near future) and we don't support TH the only thing we would have locally would be Tri-State (which could also be bought by a gravel company). So even tho I don't run 1/4 mile there (because of the shutdown being a little short) I do run 1/8 there for testing and the track does hook. I think we do the right thing and support TH to be a better place. I think Jerry is going to do what he can do to make it better which is more than what I can say about what Al did.

Chris if there is anything electrically you guys need a hand with let me know.

69Cobra
02-20-2009, 03:37 PM
One last year.

I think I was there last year when a black camaro tag the guard rail if that is the one your talking about.

Waffles
02-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Well said.

Thank you sir.

I agree. Its takes making money to do the improvements that are needed. I have never been to TH but i will go this year and give it my support.

How many times do we complain that we need a good track that is close to home? How about we go out and support our local tracks so they can improve themselves? Unless the track is not investing in its self.

John

John, make sure you give me a yell when you're coming down - would love to shake your hand. I wish more people had such a constructive attitude.

Jerry spent more money just in improvements than he made last year from the track. The success of the track will make or break him personally, so he's definately committed to reinvesting.

Waffles
02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
I would love to see the track stay alive and improve. That is why Tony King and I went to the meeting last year that Jerry had. That's how TH got on UMTR's schedule so you guys can yell at me for that. Jerry call me a month or so ago to talk about booking a race and I forwarded him on to Dave. From there on I don't know anything about it. I do know that if we would loose E2O to a gravel company (which is very possible in the near future) and we don't support TH the only thing we would have locally would be Tri-State (which could also be bought by a gravel company). So even tho I don't run 1/4 mile there (because of the shutdown being a little short) I do run 1/8 there for testing and the track does hook. I think we do the right thing and support TH to be a better place. I think Jerry is going to do what he can do to make it better which is more than what I can say about what Al did.

Chris if there is anything electrically you guys need a hand with let me know.

TH is definately safe from the gravel companies! There's nothing down there but mud haha. We do appreciate your support and I'll definately let you know if we can use your help with electrical work. One of the improvements I forgot to list was about the lighting that Al bought but never put up. We need to set the poles and do all the hook up.

bcoh5gt
02-20-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm going down bright and early tomorrow to help Jerry get ready for the IHRA. And will be there Sunday also. I grew up at this track, since age 4 until my dad died when I was 13. Every weekend no matter what. 9 sec. cars have ran down there forever. Chuck Black all through the 80's and 90's with no problems, and yes Grubbs runs there all the way out. Maybe that's the difference, these guys can drive their cars. Your 12 and 11 sec. cars will be just fine. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TRACKS!!!!!!!

Mista Bone
02-21-2009, 01:14 AM
Never been to Thorn Hill, but will go one night to watch.

Personally, I love to have a mobile home up on the hill from Tristate.

Noise???? More like music to me :)

2Kblacksleeper
02-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Hardcore, I'll let you know. I work retail so my schedule is unpredictable at times. I am looking foward to going for my 1st time of many.

John

Hrod382
03-01-2009, 01:32 AM
haha Chuck is my uncle, I know there are a few people on here he has done work for as well.

I understand shutdown concerns, believe me. Grubbs has run low 9's there but he has a chassis car so it's easier for him to stop obviously. A 3000# car in the 9's wouldn't be easy and I can COMPLETELY understand heavy cars in the low 10's being concerned. Anyone under 3500# and 10.50's will be fine. People in the 13's-high 11's generally hook and run better at the Hill, not sure why but I've seen it happen all the time.

For as awful and out of control as people make the track sound, in the last 10 years I've seen 2 bad wrecks, probably 4-5 cars lightly tag the guardrail. I've seen plenty worse stuff at other tracks and I've made all kinds of runs there and never been really out of shape.

beefcake
03-05-2009, 01:02 PM
well said, i've never been but plan on trying to make it at least once this year to help support it

Jeff88coupe
03-05-2009, 03:07 PM
I'd love to run down at the hill if they ever could get the noise restrictions opened up some so they could run T&T days.

Waffles
03-05-2009, 06:53 PM
There are actually no noise restrictions. The problem is a specific injunction against this peice of property only. We WISH it was about noise restrictions because at least that way we'd have some means of meeting some stipulation - which would at least be something! What we're dealing with right now is that there is nothing except "you can't run before 6pm and after 12am on saturday nights." The injunction specifically states it pertains to "drag racing activities," but in this last hearing Jerry was found in contempt for violating the injunction on counts such as firing a black powder rifle, having a karaoke party, and even riding quads in the field next to the track.

We have a plan on opening up more time and the IHRA reps have put us in touch with people who have experience with this sort of problem. We're more confident than ever that we'll be able to figure this out.

RIXXX93GT
03-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Good luck to you.

Kelly Pelrine
03-06-2009, 03:03 PM
There are actually no noise restrictions. The problem is a specific injunction against this peice of property only. We WISH it was about noise restrictions because at least that way we'd have some means of meeting some stipulation - which would at least be something! What we're dealing with right now is that there is nothing except "you can't run before 6pm and after 12am on saturday nights." The injunction specifically states it pertains to "drag racing activities," but in this last hearing Jerry was found in contempt for violating the injunction on counts such as firing a black powder rifle, having a karaoke party, and even riding quads in the field next to the track.

We have a plan on opening up more time and the IHRA reps have put us in touch with people who have experience with this sort of problem. We're more confident than ever that we'll be able to figure this out.

Wow they are just tryin to get him on any little thing! What a crock. I went down there last year to talk with Jerry and he was nice enough to put his Halloween party aside to walk me through the facility. In my opinion the track really isnt as bad as everyone thinks. Sure it needs some work but i think with time it can be a good track. Resurface, get some stands in there and concrete up and it'll come around. My offer is still open, if Jerry needs some help legal wise or with whatever please let me know!

Waffles
03-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Wow they are just tryin to get him on any little thing! What a crock. I went down there last year to talk with Jerry and he was nice enough to put his Halloween party aside to walk me through the facility. In my opinion the track really isnt as bad as everyone thinks. Sure it needs some work but i think with time it can be a good track. Resurface, get some stands in there and concrete up and it'll come around. My offer is still open, if Jerry needs some help legal wise or with whatever please let me know!

We're working on a solution for resurfacing the track. We actually poured footers for the new concrete barricade by the burnout boxes up to the start this morning. For now, we're replacing the wood and painting the old stands. They're not that bad, just look nasty.

PaxtonDan
03-23-2009, 02:02 PM
well said in deed!
Save a Tree....Support your local drag strip!
Ive seen pics of the lighting/guard rails, they are working on it. one piece at a time!
Looking forward to running there

Waffles
04-07-2009, 11:37 AM
We'll look forward to having you down at the Hill Dan!

Waffles
06-28-2009, 01:47 PM

:eek: Someone told me you actually had a good time last night?!?!?!

I definitely won't be going to this one.
I have read the stories on this one. I can't believe that we are stooping this low.
Also helps me decide not to run for points.

I don't know if you stuck to this or not, but if you did you missed a good time and a great race if you did.

DeckerEnt
06-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Made it down to watch. Had a good time. Place was busy and crowded. Will go again.

craigels
06-28-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I had an ok time. Still can't believe the amount of alcohol consumption and racing you all let happen. Was not impressed with the track at all, although it did get better the later it got and the more rubber put down after it was all scraped off. Picking up time slips at the tower and making a left at the same spot cars are making a right onto the track is a little dangerous. And I never was a fan of 1/8 mile racing. But overall it was ok, I went some rounds and got some points so it was worth going. I do hope UMTR reconsiders for next season tho.

jlt2006
06-28-2009, 09:43 PM
I don't know if you stuck to this or not, but if you did you missed a good time and a great race if you did.

I came down.

Your track needs a LOT of work. Definitely nothing to get excited about.

Waffles
06-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Made it down to watch. Had a good time. Place was busy and crowded. Will go again.

Great to hear Keith. Sorry I didn't get your voicemail until I was up out of the hole long after the racing. Cell service sucks down there.

I'm not gonna lie, I had an ok time. Still can't believe the amount of alcohol consumption and racing you all let happen. Was not impressed with the track at all, although it did get better the later it got and the more rubber put down after it was all scraped off. Picking up time slips at the tower and making a left at the same spot cars are making a right onto the track is a little dangerous. And I never was a fan of 1/8 mile racing. But overall it was ok, I went some rounds and got some points so it was worth going. I do hope UMTR reconsiders for next season tho.

Timeslips being printed at the tower is temporary, and a pain in the ass for us too. When we bought the new box from Portatree, they told us it was a direct swap and would work with all the existing equipment, not true. They change the type of port used for printing and it'll only push 1/8 mile and not the full 1/4. Thus, we cannot print at the old ET shack. Portatree is building us a set of conversion boxes to allow the printer to be located back in the ET shack, but we haven't received them yet. I'm not a fan of 1/8 mile racing either. We could have easily run the Street Stick class in the 1/4... but that was not our decision. In all honesty, I didn't really think you'd really have anything good to say.

I'm curious, how fast were you running?

I came down.

Your track needs a LOT of work. Definitely nothing to get excited about.

Well, I'm sorry to hear you still weren't happy. I'm just glad to know so many others were.

7721Cobra
06-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Well I had a good time (even though I put my self out in the first round). I used to race at the hill alot a few years ago, the track conditions were definately not what they used to be. But I still would like the UMTR to have a couple races there next year.

Waffles
06-29-2009, 01:09 AM
Well I had a good time (even though I put my self out in the first round). I used to race at the hill alot a few years ago, the track conditions were definately not what they used to be. But I still would like the UMTR to have a couple races there next year.

Glad to hear you had fun. Basically, we spent the better part of 2 days and into a 3rd scraping the rubber off the track. It wasn't bonded well and had even started to bubble. Rubber, especially when sticky, gives terrible traction if it's not bonded well to the track. This happens when it's as hot as it has been. In an effort to get a good surface we scraped the 30' on either side of the starting line. We'd have liked to have more time to get more rubber put back down before racing, but as many of you may have seen we were working right up until the last minute. As the temps got cooler and more new rubber got laid down on the track it was a much better surface for racing. Maybe you can come down next weekend and stay in for a few more rounds?

craigels
06-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Timeslips being printed at the tower is temporary, and a pain in the ass for us too. When we bought the new box from Portatree, they told us it was a direct swap and would work with all the existing equipment, not true. They change the type of port used for printing and it'll only push 1/8 mile and not the full 1/4. Thus, we cannot print at the old ET shack. Portatree is building us a set of conversion boxes to allow the printer to be located back in the ET shack, but we haven't received them yet. I'm not a fan of 1/8 mile racing either. We could have easily run the Street Stick class in the 1/4... but that was not our decision. In all honesty, I didn't really think you'd really have anything good to say.

I'm curious, how fast were you running?

I thought that was good to say! Just stating my thoughts from my experience almost a year after my first time there. Glad to hear about the timeslips being temp. I can see that being a huge PITA on a really busy night for you all. Pretty sure the SS class could've run 1/4. But 1/8 is what Dave said so thats what we did. I went some rounds and got some points so its all good!

Please comment on the alcohol and racing.

My car was going 8.60 which is slower than it normally goes, but it was consistent. My 60' was .15-.20 slower than normal also which definately factored in on overall ET.

ponymom05
06-29-2009, 09:29 AM
I had a good time Saturday might, but it was mostly due to it being so close to home that we had a lot of friends come down that don't normally get to see us run. That always makes for a good time! It was nice getting home in 10 minutes instead of 45-60 or more.

As for Thorn Hill....it was much improved from what I remember. It was nice to see familiar faces like Greg and Billy. Following are some thoughts I have, nothing major. I have no big complaints. As I told Dave, it's different, that's all.

* Dave was not there early on and the gate didn't know what to charge us, etc. We just had to go back up and pay later, no big deal. The fog didn't roll in like last time we were there. That was scary! But nothing you can control.

* Something that may not be important to the guys but the women's restrooms were very clean and nice. Full soap dispenser, no puddles of water on the floor in the stalls, new hand dryers would about blow your skin off! Actually much nicer than other locations. We girls appreciate that!! The men said the men's room wasn't as clean, but do you guys really care??

* The guy running the staging lanes - I think it was Terry Baker - was extremely nice and informative as to what was going on.

* No traction in the beginning, spun a lot, but it improved as the night went on. I've never run an 1/8 so I'm not sure what my times should have been. I felt like I did OK. My biggest problem was my reaction time. Just wasn't there. My own undoing. I went 2 rounds, as I usually do.

* The return road needs fixed. I was dodging mudholes and pot holes. I know that takes big money for repaving. Maybe all in due time. Probably won't be as rough when you get the new ticket booth running and we can turn off sooner. Didn't see a lot of gravel at the end or on the return road. You guys cleaned that up pretty good. Greg allowed me to run the 4-wheeler down the track in the afternoon so I got a good look at the track, turnoffs, etc. so I felt I knew where I was going. And the grass was cut so you could see them. I know that was mentioned earlier that they were kind of hidden.

* Picking up the ticket at the tower didn't bother me. Just had to be patient and cautious at the staging area. It was kind of neat at first when you come around and people you know shout at you as you pass. Once you lose it becomes the walk of shame!!

* I didn't really pay attention to the crowd as far as drinking, etc. The folks next to us seemed to be regulars and were very nice all day. There were some spectators that we thought were smoking dope at the fence next to us, but they may have heard us fussing about it around the kids and they moved on. No proof of this, just thought we smelled it. Didn't see any security, doesn't mean he wasn't there. Last year it was a cousin of ours (Tim Scheidt), would have liked to say Hey! if he was still there. But on the other hand I didn't see any problems that required security, either!

I don't know if we will make it back out this summer or not. If UMTR comes back, that 's where we go. I won't dread it next time, nor will I have anything negative to say. Thanks for your hospitality and I look forward to more improvements to come!

Cathy

Steves LX
06-29-2009, 10:00 AM
I naturally had a good time since I won. But I will admit it was different down there than what I am use too. At first I thought there is no way they are going to get all these car thru starting the first time trial runs after 6:00. But we still got out of there a little before midnight. The guy running the lanes did a great job. I am still undecided on the whole safety factor as far as no tech. But it was kinda funny that there were no problems with car breaking other than one time. And the delay was all of 3 minutes if that. So hey if that's what works for you guys down there then great leave it. I couldn't agree more with Cathy on the return road. That was pretty rough on the way back. After my first trip back I made note of where to dodge the holes and ruts at. The fans down there were very nice and some were quite funny. We were pitted a little ways down from Cathy, craig, Jeff, and Steve and we thought we smelled some reefer as well. So you guys must have chased them down our way. I may be wrong but I thought you get a sticker or something for a perfect light(reaction time) from the track. I'm pretty sure that's how E20 does it but oh well no biggie. I have that timeslip framed and wont be throwing that one away. I look at that as like a hole in one in golf. It just doen't happen that often.

Waffles
06-29-2009, 12:02 PM
I thought that was good to say! Just stating my thoughts from my experience almost a year after my first time there. Glad to hear about the timeslips being temp. I can see that being a huge PITA on a really busy night for you all. Pretty sure the SS class could've run 1/4. But 1/8 is what Dave said so thats what we did. I went some rounds and got some points so its all good!

Please comment on the alcohol and racing.

My car was going 8.60 which is slower than it normally goes, but it was consistent. My 60' was .15-.20 slower than normal also which definately factored in on overall ET.

You thought what was good to say? That you had an okay time? Everything you said was negative so you've really got me confused, or maybe you're just confused.

I can't comment on the alcohol and drag racing as I didn't see any. I was busy managing the track and getting the racing done. I know that no one came to me and complained about any specific issues, including you. We had this discussion last year I think. I'm not sure what you can complain about now if you didn't bring it to anyone's attention then. If there's an issue, man up and say something when it happens instead of just using it as something to complain about after nothing can be done. I also know that we had no wrecks. We had no fights. We had nothing at all alcohol related. That's about all I can tell ya friend. I find it very difficult to imagine that they don't allow beer at other tracks though. We must be the only one.

I had a good time Saturday might, but it was mostly due to it being so close to home that we had a lot of friends come down that don't normally get to see us run. That always makes for a good time! It was nice getting home in 10 minutes instead of 45-60 or more.

As for Thorn Hill....it was much improved from what I remember. It was nice to see familiar faces like Greg and Billy. Following are some thoughts I have, nothing major. I have no big complaints. As I told Dave, it's different, that's all.

* Dave was not there early on and the gate didn't know what to charge us, etc. We just had to go back up and pay later, no big deal. The fog didn't roll in like last time we were there. That was scary! But nothing you can control.

* Something that may not be important to the guys but the women's restrooms were very clean and nice. Full soap dispenser, no puddles of water on the floor in the stalls, new hand dryers would about blow your skin off! Actually much nicer than other locations. We girls appreciate that!! The men said the men's room wasn't as clean, but do you guys really care??

* The guy running the staging lanes - I think it was Terry Baker - was extremely nice and informative as to what was going on.

* No traction in the beginning, spun a lot, but it improved as the night went on. I've never run an 1/8 so I'm not sure what my times should have been. I felt like I did OK. My biggest problem was my reaction time. Just wasn't there. My own undoing. I went 2 rounds, as I usually do.

* The return road needs fixed. I was dodging mudholes and pot holes. I know that takes big money for repaving. Maybe all in due time. Probably won't be as rough when you get the new ticket booth running and we can turn off sooner. Didn't see a lot of gravel at the end or on the return road. You guys cleaned that up pretty good. Greg allowed me to run the 4-wheeler down the track in the afternoon so I got a good look at the track, turnoffs, etc. so I felt I knew where I was going. And the grass was cut so you could see them. I know that was mentioned earlier that they were kind of hidden.

* Picking up the ticket at the tower didn't bother me. Just had to be patient and cautious at the staging area. It was kind of neat at first when you come around and people you know shout at you as you pass. Once you lose it becomes the walk of shame!!

* I didn't really pay attention to the crowd as far as drinking, etc. The folks next to us seemed to be regulars and were very nice all day. There were some spectators that we thought were smoking dope at the fence next to us, but they may have heard us fussing about it around the kids and they moved on. No proof of this, just thought we smelled it. Didn't see any security, doesn't mean he wasn't there. Last year it was a cousin of ours (Tim Scheidt), would have liked to say Hey! if he was still there. But on the other hand I didn't see any problems that required security, either!

I don't know if we will make it back out this summer or not. If UMTR comes back, that 's where we go. I won't dread it next time, nor will I have anything negative to say. Thanks for your hospitality and I look forward to more improvements to come!

Cathy

Wow. Well Cathy, thank you. We certainly will continue to make improvements as we can afford to. Our budget is tight but things are really starting to pick up. We are working on patching the return road ourselves, which is how we do most things to save money. We've procured a blacktop paver box and just needed the money to have the blacktop hauled down. That should happen in the next couple weeks. It's usually not so bad when you can pick your ticket up at the ET shack and make the turn into the pits.

Oh, Tim was there Sat night but took off for a bit mid-race. His son had just returned from Iraq and he wanted to at least make an appearance at his welcome home party. We really don't have many problems, the occassional drunk spectator. Tim handles everything amazingly well, he's a really good guy.

I naturally had a good time since I won. But I will admit it was different down there than what I am use too. At first I thought there is no way they are going to get all these car thru starting the first time trial runs after 6:00. But we still got out of there a little before midnight. The guy running the lanes did a great job. I am still undecided on the whole safety factor as far as no tech. But it was kinda funny that there were no problems with car breaking other than one time. And the delay was all of 3 minutes if that. So hey if that's what works for you guys down there then great leave it. I couldn't agree more with Cathy on the return road. That was pretty rough on the way back. After my first trip back I made note of where to dodge the holes and ruts at. The fans down there were very nice and some were quite funny. We were pitted a little ways down from Cathy, craig, Jeff, and Steve and we thought we smelled some reefer as well. So you guys must have chased them down our way. I may be wrong but I thought you get a sticker or something for a perfect light(reaction time) from the track. I'm pretty sure that's how E20 does it but oh well no biggie. I have that timeslip framed and wont be throwing that one away. I look at that as like a hole in one in golf. It just doen't happen that often.

We actually used to give cash for perfect dial-in and perfect lights, but our budget just hasn't allowed us to do that lately. Stickers are a good idea, and not expensive. I'll see about getting some done and if I can, will make sure you get one. We also had one of our regulars, "Homie" Combs made a perfect run: perfect light with a perfect dial-in on Sat night.

Waffles
06-29-2009, 12:18 PM
...new hand dryers would about blow your skin off!

Cathy

Oh, and yeah! Now you know why the hand dryers are legendary! :lol:

Yes, that was Terry. He's a hell of a guy. Our regular guy was out and Terry fills in when we need him. He does a lot to help out around the track and is one of our most loyal racers. His son pilots his Mustang now.

Stangman
06-29-2009, 04:17 PM
One thing I thought was amusing, the guy announcing the race kept mixing up peoples names and cars... kept me laughing... I had a good time.

Waffles
06-29-2009, 04:45 PM
lol... yeah, we didn't have any of the UMTR cars in our database of course, so they were doing their best to pull the tech cards as the cars pulled up. Made things very confusing in the tower because eliminations are tracked by hand using the tech cards lol

KenB
06-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Sorry, but to come on here after all this and try and pull an 'I told you so' or whatever the point of bringing this thread back up was in poor taste and just asking for more criticism.

Kelly Pelrine
06-29-2009, 09:10 PM
lol... yeah, we didn't have any of the UMTR cars in our database of course, so they were doing their best to pull the tech cards as the cars pulled up. Made things very confusing in the tower because eliminations are tracked by hand using the tech cards lol

Chris what kinda timing system do you have? I thought it was Compulink or TSI? You guys want any help setting the comp up just let me know, thats one thing i know i can do lol

Waffles
06-30-2009, 12:37 AM
Sorry, but to come on here after all this and try and pull an 'I told you so' or whatever the point of bringing this thread back up was in poor taste and just asking for more criticism.

Well, if you ask me the poor taste was to start bashing the track in the first place. So what if the intent was to say, "See? It wasn't as bad as you said it was gonna be." I didn't do it in a fashion that was in poor taste. They said it was gonna suck, it didn't. Cathy was the OP and even said it didn't suck. So, what's the big deal? Craig always talks shit about the track and I expected nothing different. This was why I didn't address my post to him. I'd actually heard that Cathy was having a good time and enjoying herself Sat night, which I found a pleasant surprise. I was glad to hear it.

Chris what kinda timing system do you have? I thought it was Compulink or TSI? You guys want any help setting up the comp up just let me know, thats one thing i know i can do lol

Portatree Ultimate Gold, and it's all set up for the most part. We just didn't get the drivers entered in the database because of time. We actually had cars making time runs that we had no cards for yet, so it just wasn't gonna get done by the 8pm eliminations.

7721Cobra
06-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Glad to hear you had fun. Basically, we spent the better part of 2 days and into a 3rd scraping the rubber off the track. It wasn't bonded well and had even started to bubble. Rubber, especially when sticky, gives terrible traction if it's not bonded well to the track. This happens when it's as hot as it has been. In an effort to get a good surface we scraped the 30' on either side of the starting line. We'd have liked to have more time to get more rubber put back down before racing, but as many of you may have seen we were working right up until the last minute. As the temps got cooler and more new rubber got laid down on the track it was a much better surface for racing. Maybe you can come down next weekend and stay in for a few more rounds?

Yeah I did see you guys were busy, but didn't know the reason you scraped the track. Now I do lol. I have always liked racing at the Hill, more than the other area tracks. I'll definately be back down this year, and look forward to the upcoming improvements!:bigthumb

Kelly Pelrine
06-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Portatree Ultimate Gold, and it's all set up for the most part. We just didn't get the drivers entered in the database because of time. We actually had cars making time runs that we had no cards for yet, so it just wasn't gonna get done by the 8pm eliminations.

Oh right on, i didnt know they had their own program for the timing system. Well you know ill help when i can, but i know you're good with computers too ;)

jlt2006
06-30-2009, 11:22 AM
In my post, where do you come up with saying, "Well, I'm sorry to hear you still weren't happy."? I still would not be excited if you got a new return road or timimg boards. I think those are things that most drivers should expect when going to a race track. You get those things, and then I would raise you up to tri states staus.

Why do you feel the necessity to answer every post. You are very defensive. Be humble, accept your praise along with the critisism and grow from it. Make your track the best you can.

If you guys can run future races as smooth as you did this one. And improve your track. I can see racing there more often.

Waffles
06-30-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm confused. Am I supposed to answer your questions or am I not supposed to answer? Honestly though, when the three of you went on the attack what did you expect exactly? Fair criticism we deal with very well. Nearly all of our regular racers would tell you that I'll actually invite contructive criticism, as it's the only way to continue to improve. We prioritize those things according to ability and importance, and then do them as we can.

It's important though, if you want to have a positive effect with your criticism that you try not to be insulting. It's also important to recognize progress and acknowledge it. Cathy's last post did EXACTLY that. Honestly, it makes me wanna go start patching the return road right now just because she took the time to recognize the things we have improved on. Everything she said wasn't a positive, but she was fair. Much better than the total negativity you and Craig have been bent on.

Greg Seibert
06-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Hey Jilt, give Chris a break. Maybe you are just hard to please, or :confused:(get excited) when it comes to Dragstrips.
I don't know anyone who's worked harder than Chris to improve the facility. I've seen him work on concrete, wiring, the timiing systems, even on crutches and wearing legbraces and never complain. If he seems to be on the defensive about the comments, it's only because he has put his heart and soul into Thornhill, and cares enough to comment on the opinions that can improve things there. We will continue to make improvements on the fine suggestions we have received here, and want to thank the UMTR and everyone for supporting our track.

jlt2006
06-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Keep up the good work Chris.

Maximus
06-30-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm confused. Am I supposed to answer your questions or am I not supposed to answer? Honestly though, when the three of you went on the attack what did you expect exactly? Fair criticism we deal with very well. Nearly all of our regular racers would tell you that I'll actually invite contructive criticism, as it's the only way to continue to improve. We prioritize those things according to ability and importance, and then do them as we can.

It's important though, if you want to have a positive effect with your criticism that you try not to be insulting. It's also important to recognize progress and acknowledge it. Cathy's last post did EXACTLY that. Honestly, it makes me wanna go start patching the return road right now just because she took the time to recognize the things we have improved on. Everything she said wasn't a positive, but she was fair. Much better than the total negativity you and Craig have been bent on.

The other Craig, not this one.:bigthumb

Waffles
06-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey Jilt, give Chris a break. Maybe you are just hard to please, or :confused:(get excited) when it comes to Dragstrips.
I don't know anyone who's worked harder than Chris to improve the facility. I've seen him work on concrete, wiring, the timiing systems, even on crutches and wearing legbraces and never complain. If he seems to be on the defensive about the comments, it's only because he has put his heart and soul into Thornhill, and cares enough to comment on the opinions that can improve things there. We will continue to make improvements on the fine suggestions we have received here, and want to thank the UMTR and everyone for supporting our track.

Aw Greg. Next time I see you you you're gettin a big non-homo hug!

Greg shouldn't be modest either, he's spent a lot of his own time helping whereever he can too. Just last Sat he must have spent a good 6 or 8 hours scraping and helping prep the track.

The other Craig, not this one.:bigthumb

lol... it's all good Craig, I think everyone knew it wasn't you! You're only negative about political posts :P lol

craigels
07-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Ok this will be my last post in this thread...

Chris, did you read my first post? Everyone expected to me to have a bad time or have something to complain about. The FIRST thing I said was that I had an ok time. It wasn't great, but it certainly wasn't terrible. I also commented on a few things that I noticed, things that were mentioned after my post by others. I'm not sure why you took it the way you did... maybe you were just looking to try to attack me and try to make me the bad guy. Please reread my first post.

I also find it interesting that you guys started a thread on another board asking for opinions and thoughts on the track and race. I can understand fishing for a compliment, but you have to take the negativity with it. Especially since you asked for it. Seems like you don't deal with that too well.

As everyone else has stated, the track needs work. It has been improved upon since this time last year, but still has a long way to go. Would I come back for a UMTR race? Probably if the points race is as tight as it was this past weekend. But I'm really hoping I'm too far behind or too far ahead next season for that race to make a difference so I can skip it. Not because of the track or the racer's, but because no matter how nice or how mean I am you will always try to turn it around and attempt to make me look bad. So, I'd rather just not deal with you.

Thanks to Thornhill and UMTR for a good event. I'm glad I went and got to be with good racer's of the UMTR and get some points. I definately had an OK time.

Here is a pic, courtesy of MadMod Ryan Gambrel from last Saturday. This is exactly how I picture Thornhill. No shirt, window down, water pouring from the passenger door. All things the TRACK should've caught.

http://gambrelphotography.smugmug.com/photos/576125462_yJxWm-L-1.jpg

Waffles
07-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Right, because one day I just randomly picked you out of a crowd and said, "I'm gonna try to make that guy look bad." You've got a strange grip on reality fella. You went on the attack, I rebutted your attack. I address your comments, not you personally. If you look bad, you have only yourself to blame.

Also, no disrespect to Billy, but his post on the UMTR site looking for opinions was out of his own curiousity not some official communication. He works at Thornhill, his girlfriend's dad owns Thornhill, and the UMTR race I know was personal for him because of his past involvement with the group. But since you bring up that thread, I'm curious why you didn't post all your negativity in that thread since that's where you said "us guys" invited it? :-? Hmmm

So, what possible reason could I care if you come back to the track or not? You've been twice, and done nothing but complain both times. You've never anything good to say. You do your best, because you don't like the track, to bash it at every oportunity. Oh yeah, please come back so we can do it all over again. :rolleyes: You're just the guy I know we could never make happy. Hell, come to think of it, I've got guys like that who come race every weekend lol.

Waffles
07-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Oh, and this is how I picture Thornhill... all regular cars.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/83/l_16e6e1cc87f843a6b8aaac55ad2e89b3.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/101/l_84a97efb888e452980cd2491bc96cba4.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/72/l_06528a9069e744788730e81a2c338fc5.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/83/l_c518528093fe4b58a2e0fddf9812e595.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/72/l_8c2458c770db4298b48489e3fc430d99.jpg

bcoh5gt
07-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Right, because one day I just randomly picked you out of a crowd and said, "I'm gonna try to make that guy look bad." You've got a strange grip on reality fella. You went on the attack, I rebutted your attack. I address your comments, not you personally. If you look bad, you have only yourself to blame.

Also, no disrespect to Billy, but his post on the UMTR site looking for opinions was out of his own curiousity not some official communication. He works at Thornhill, his girlfriend's dad owns Thornhill, and the UMTR race I know was personal for him because of his past involvement with the group. But since you bring up that thread, I'm curious why you didn't post all your negativity in that thread since that's where you said "us guys" invited it? :-? Hmmm

So, what possible reason could I care if you come back to the track or not? You've been twice, and done nothing but complain both times. You've never anything good to say. You do your best, because you don't like the track, to bash it at every oportunity. Oh yeah, please come back so we can do it all over again. :rolleyes: You're just the guy I know we could never make happy. Hell, come to think of it, I've got guys like that who come race every weekend lol.

Chris, you hit the nail on the head there. I am NOT a "spokesman" for the track. And yes that thread was just for my personal use. But hey I did come across some blacktop for Jerry last night and we did make some split second repairs on the return road. There is more to come.

outlaw85
07-01-2009, 04:49 PM

Chris, did you read my first post? Everyone expected to me to have a bad time or have something to complain about. The FIRST thing I said was that I had an ok time. It wasn't great, but it certainly wasn't terrible. I also commented on a few things that I noticed, things that were mentioned after my post by others. I'm not sure why you took it the way you did... maybe you were just looking to try to attack me and try to make me the bad guy. Please reread my first post.

I also find it interesting that you guys started a thread on another board asking for opinions and thoughts on the track and race. I can understand fishing for a compliment, but you have to take the negativity with it. Especially since you asked for it. Seems like you don't deal with that too well.

As everyone else has stated, the track needs work. It has been improved upon since this time last year, but still has a long way to go. Would I come back for a UMTR race? Probably if the points race is as tight as it was this past weekend. But I'm really hoping I'm too far behind or too far ahead next season for that race to make a difference so I can skip it. Not because of the track or the racer's, but because no matter how nice or how mean I am you will always try to turn it around and attempt to make me look bad. So, I'd rather just not deal with you.

Thanks to Thornhill and UMTR for a good event. I'm glad I went and got to be with good racer's of the UMTR and get some points. I definately had an OK time.

Here is a pic, courtesy of MadMod Ryan Gambrel from last Saturday. This is exactly how I picture Thornhill. No shirt, window down, water pouring from the passenger door. All things the TRACK should've caught.

GEEZ give Chris a break atleast he is trying to give us a place to race and with todays economic struggles thats saying alot. Keep up the good work you will get there Chris.

Waffles
07-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Chris, you hit the nail on the head there. I am NOT a "spokesman" for the track. And yes that thread was just for my personal use. But hey I did come across some blacktop for Jerry last night and we did make some split second repairs on the return road. There is more to come.

Jerry called and told me! That's freakin awesome. You da man!

GEEZ give Chris a break atleast he is trying to give us a place to race and with todays economic struggles thats saying alot. Keep up the good work you will get there Chris.

Thank you, and thank everyone who supports us what we're trying to do. At any point in time we're only ever four races from going out of business forever. Thornhill is more than just a racetrack to a lot of us. Greg Siebert has raced there for years. I know MANY people like Billy and Nick Skaats who grew up with friends and family racing Saturday nights. I grew up there, though on not as many race nights. We lived on Moffett Rd and would beg my mom to let us ride our bicycles to Uncle Ralph's. Even my father grew up there and can tell stories back into the late 40s when there was no track. Don who works in the tower and Sandy who work the cash register have been married for about a thousand years, and had their first date at Thornhill. There are stories and stories of more of the same as a lot of our racers are 2nd and 3rd generation Thornhill racers.

All of us volunteer our time outside of those 6 racing hours each week. That is the only time any of us get paid for. It's tough work. It's frustrating when there are thing beyond our control (like the recent timing system fiasco) that seem to work against us. You finally get that worked out just in time to find out something else has gone wrong.

I said all that to say this: The email you guys have sent; the posts here and on the UMTR board; the phone calls I've gotten have been so incredibily positive and supportive that it really just it really makes everything worth it. Sometimes the job feels thankless and unappreciated, and thanks to you guys that has not been the case this week. You guys rock!

atbracn
07-02-2009, 05:16 AM
i think you guys did a great job on the track and the umtr event was a good time considering i was only watching. It was cool to see the fans rush up to the fence when they called the stick cars to the lanes and i am almost certain umtr will be back and i will be running for sure.:bigthumb

p.s. george cint will get a kick of his car being on the internet.

bcoh5gt
07-02-2009, 04:41 PM

Craig if you are talking about the old truck? The link you posted won't come up for me, but I remember cleaning up after him and having a talk with him when he got his timeslip. That guy was actually running with umtr.

Waffles
07-02-2009, 11:28 PM
The truck was definately running in the UMTR race, but I don't think it's fair to say he was "running with UMTR." I've definately never seen him at the track before, but I don't think he was there running for UMTR points or anything lol

bcoh5gt
07-05-2009, 12:10 PM
The truck was definately running in the UMTR race, but I don't think it's fair to say he was "running with UMTR." I've definately never seen him at the track before, but I don't think he was there running for UMTR points or anything lol

LMAO!!! yeah he went .134 red and was proud as hell, he said that aint bad I think I will buy back. lol