PDA

View Full Version : Quad Question???

HARCracing
02-19-2009, 03:30 PM
My friend has a 2004 Suzuki Z400 quad. He was letting it run a little to keep it lubed up this winter and it ran out of gas. He had a hard time getting it started but his nephew finally did. Now it will run for a few minutes just stop. When he trys to start it it just cranks and cranks but won't turn over. If he lets it sit a while it will start back up but then die again and the whole process starts over. Any suggestions??????

Thanks!

ffmueller81
02-19-2009, 03:38 PM
sounds like maybe a clogged fuel line.... after it burns up what is in the line it won't run. While it sits the fuel line slowly fills back up and will run for a few minutes again. just a shot in the dark though

Mavowar
02-19-2009, 05:03 PM
First thing you do with nay atv that does not start is put a new spark plug in....past that i agree you may have sucked up some junk in the fllter/carb running it empty...

DeckerEnt
02-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Check the fuel filter. I would bet it is clogged!
Keith

HARCracing
02-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Well, the knucklehead did not switch the petcock to run after starting it in prime. I told him this might be the problem since he may be flooding the quad:dummy: He is going to try that tomorrow.:rolleyes:

fastone
02-20-2009, 08:39 AM
If he is running gas from KY in it, I bet the jets are clogged. My old raptor had that bad problem. I had to run race gas in it to stop the clogging of the jets. Only happens with the junk reform-ed gas in KY...

dirtyone55
02-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Hopefully it is something simple as the petcock. But the one time I ran my quad out of gas, it backfired, which blew the hose off that runs from my carb to the motor block. It would only run if I was giving it gas, or had it on choke because it was drawing in way too much air, and not forcing much fuel into the motor unless I was giving it lots of gas. Hopefully it is something simple though.